advertisement

Bike frame - powder coat or wet paint

ciderglider

pfm Member
I have a 531 bike frame from the 1980s which I want to get repainted. I'm tempted to go for powder coating, as it is cheaper than wet paint, and there's someone local to me who does it. Would anyone advise wet paint instead?

I have a 531 bike frame from the 1980s which I want to get repainted. I'm tempted to go for powder coating, as it is cheaper than wet paint, and there's someone local to me who does it. Would anyone advise wet paint instead?

I wouldn't it's just too heavy and spoils the look of a lovely lugged frame. It's tough though if that's what you want, modern enamels are nothing like the old stuff.

My only concern with powder coating is the temperature involved, your lugged frame has probably been brazed.

I know brazing is done at a higher temp than powder coating ovens, but I would beware.

Gary

Powder coating in circa 200DegC brazing will be double that I would have thought, so the temperature should not be an issue. Aluminiums can have issues with it affecting the heat treatments as its just on the limit of artificial aging (but usually ok if done carefully).

I really enjoyed painting my bicycle frames over the years. Hand painting works surprising well on tubes.

Two of the resprayers I've used, Dave Yates and Bob Jackson's are no more sadly. I believe that Ellis Briggs still takes orders but I don't know who they use these days. At the more expensive end there's Mercian in Derby and Argos in Bristol.

Stove enamel is the proper way to do it.

Whatever you do make sure it is stripped by someone who understands what they're doing. A heavy duty grit blaster can go through the side of a thin bicycle tube alarmingly quickly!

All of the frames I've built have been painted by Dave Yates. As I understand it he's planning for retirement and doesn't want to order any more paint and so he's only offering the colours he still has left in stock.

I've also used Argos and C and G and they were both excellent.

A friend of mine had his done at Ellis Briggs and that was a nice job too.

Cromaworks do some very smart paint but they're communication is poor. I've twice tried to get a frame painted there and gave up both times!

I've no doubt Mercian are excellent.

I had a TI-Raleigh professionally repainted with two-pack automotive paint. Replica decals were applied before the clear coat. Looked fabulous.

I use powder coat, I had one done this year, £45 all up, frame and forks, looks great. Enamel will cost 2-3x this. More for special finishes.

Advantage of wet paint - crisper edges, ability to do multiple colours and paint effects. If done well, nothing looks better. If it's a cheap job, you may as well use powder at half the price because it will look just as good.

Powder is really durable. It won't harm a brazed frame, ever, not even close.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Seeing as nobody has mentioned it, I would say it depends on the quality of the frame and what its intended use is. Lots of frames were made from 531, unless it is something special or sentimental value then I wouldn't be going OTT.

I've spoke to this chap and he gets his done with 2 pack car paint/laquer etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mods65/m.html?item=144207302563&hash=item21936ccfa3:g:ygUAAOSwmZpfO4E-&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
That is a good point. It's a Claud Butler Dalesman frame, so it's nice, but nothing special.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
powder coat and rattle can clear coat is a pretty good starter.

Stove enamel is the right solution, but not worth it unless you have something special.

advertisement

Back