advertisement

Kirsty MacColl - 'Tropical Brainstorm'

BertieWorcester

What-ho!!
It's terrific that we finally have a vinyl version of this seminal album. The National Album Day release certainly does it justice with really nice packaging and a stunning electric-blue vinyl pressing.

The only problem is, I find it difficult to listen to Kirsty without the sad thought of what brilliance might have followed on.

There's a documentary on the making of 'Fairytale'. It's great in it's own right but the Kirsty MacColl story in the middle is brilliant and tragic in equal measure. Worth watching when it comes round again.

And England 2 Columbia 0 for me.

As well as the voice of an angel Kirsty had such a way with words, seemingly effortlessly mixing tenderness with anger. She was an extremely intelligent woman.

Last time I was in That London the first thing I did after getting off the train was to go and sit on the bench dedicated to her in Soho Square.

Brilliant album. After all these years, not sure I need a vinyl version, I'm so accustomed to the CD.

I'm with Deebster, England 2, Columbia 0 always makes me smile, and lyrically up there with her best.

advertisement

Back