advertisement

cd players worth changing or just adding a dac.

I'm leaning towards the view that, beyond the DAC technology, what really matters with DACs is the quality of the analogue output stage. On a top end player, this is likely to be pretty good, so there's no guarantee a newer technology DAC will realise the benefits of the improved specs, in a musical sense.

What I'd be tempted to do would be to move to or borrow an amp with a very good, modern DAC built in, something from Hegel for example, and try the player first just in the conventional way - analogue outputs from player to amp input; and then using the digital output into the DAC section of the amp. See what differences there are, and what you think of them.

In terms of measurements a modern chifi dac will $hit all over them from a great height, -120db snr, 22 bit actual output, 125db dynamic range. Old dacs will be mid 90s db at best
This is true -but in fairness it's unlikely to make a huge difference when decoding a cd (ie 16/44) where snr is in the low 90s dB if properly dithered...
[Man who decided he could live with 116dB of DR in return for some features]

Many thanks for all your replies. I see what you are saying buy trying an amp with a digital input. But I don't really want to change my musical fidelity f15 power amplifiers. .I am running two of them in to a pair of Linn isobariks.

So as it looks like it's best to keep the players a have. Where do I buy replacement lasers for them to keep spare and dose any one more what ones there are?
Many thanks

Sony CDP-X77es uses KSS-280A
Kenwood DP-1100SG uses TAOHS-HG2 (J91-0341-05)

I'm afraid it's probably going to be hard finding either and the longer you leave it the harder and more expensive it is going to get.

Oh ok that's not so good. .so where is the best place to look?
Sounds like you really no your cd players. What do you use yourself ?

In terms of measurements a modern chifi dac will $hit all over them from a great height, -120db snr, 22 bit actual output, 125db dynamic range. Old dacs will be mid 90s db at best ...
Yes, but the OP's Sony X77ES DAC was very smart indeed for its date. Not up to the best modern technical standards, but it looks like it has perfectly good enough dynamic range to hear into the venue between musical notes on a good recording, and appreciate the way notes decay into silence. I would certainly not automatically replace at least the Sony with something else for CD playback just because of its age.

If the OP wants the try out steaming in addition and is at least a bit computer-savvy then adding the ubiquitous Raspberry Pi route may work. With one of the free streamer software packages according to taste, into an inexpensive USB DAC or a R.Pi DAC HAT. This might be a good way to dip a toe in the water before deciding whether to change anything more radically. Unfortunately there are few pre-built streamers that would be anywhere near as inexpensive as a way to find out what pleases.

Thanks for that. I guess I would have to pay alot to improve on the sony x77es performance and the way the world is going.
Streaming will be the way everyone listens to music.

So if I cant find a replacement laser for either cd player. Is it wise to purchase a newer one and just use these on occasions.
If so what are people's recommendations for a high end cd player?

So if I cant find a replacement laser for either cd player. Is it wise to purchase a newer one and just use these on occasions.
If so what are people's recommendations for a high end cd player?
The very best one I heard lately was a Japanese by the name of Esoteric. Couldn’t find any flaws in it with all kinds of music.
IMO, an Accuphase would be the second best and very close match but with a tad less of magic touch.
Others like Rega might also be worth a listen.

Yes I see alot of people like the rega cd players. Never Hurd one myself.
I have had a wadia 850 I think it was or a 851 was a massive thing. Sound was so so accurate.
So people say go for a transport and dac.
What dac is a good all-rounder.

In terms of measurements a modern chifi dac will $hit all over them from a great height, -120db snr, 22 bit actual output, 125db dynamic range. Old dacs will be mid 90s db at best

Philips cdm 9pro transport and Chinese dac user here.
I'm not sure...I have a old mission pcm 7000 and it's pretty good..re old dacs, I have tried using them for streaming ( using a spdif/usb converter ) and I'm amazed how good they sound! I uses a old audio alchemy to good effect till it blew up! Spdif/ usb converters and qobuz seem to give these monoliths a new lease of life..

advertisement

Back