advertisement

cd players worth changing or just adding a dac.

justshoemark

pfm Member
hi all i would like to no is it worth upgrading my cd player,
i have an sony x77es very well built play and and still plays very well. i also have a kenwood dp-1100sg witch is built like a tank and was a top model in its day.
both the transports on these players are really good.
i was wounding weather it is worth looking for a whole new player or just adding a dac.
how much have newer players come on in the last 20 years.
or should i just buy a dac and stream?
i have never streamed before so would be new to the whole set up.
many thanks

Well. I use a Rotel 965BX which is old. Floats my boat. I tried it with an external Dac and it wasn’t an obvious improvement.

Yes I must say I do like both players. I'm just wondering weather newer players get more of the discs and would be an improvement.
And I don't no how good streaming has got these days.

CD players have been a mature technology for many years. Furthermore, the mechanical build quality of currently available mechs is nowhere near that which was available on 'vintage' top end models like the ones you have. CD players have got cheaper but not better.

Pretty much anything new will be a backwards step from your X77es.

But if you want keep your vintage players running it would be wise to secure a spare laser for each of them a.s.a.p.

Yes I must say I do like both players. I'm just wondering weather newer players get more of the discs and would be an improvement.
And I don't no how good streaming has got these days.

Streaming is dependant on your internet connection, most companies now have very good speed unless your unlucky/lucky to live in the back of beyond.

Given good connection streaming is very good, useful and you have a world of music at your fingertips.

If you can get a Chromecast Audio (they’re no longer made but you can find them used) for £30 ish, and a free trial on Spotify, Tidal, Quboz etc. you can test the water for little expense.

A Topping E30 DAC from Amazon for £130 will give you a taste of what a new DAC may do. If you can’t hear an improvement in SQ you can return it for full refund.

Gary

Oh don’t know where you are but if near I can loan you a Chromecast and a Topping E30

I personally would explore making a modern dac the heart of your digital playback system. Great for making the most of streamed or locally stored files and also fantastic for making the most of those lovely old CD transports you have.
CD transports may well not have improved by my ears tell me that the actual decoding bit now sounds a lot better.

Many thanks for your replies.
I do love the old players they are built so well they both read all discs fast and play with out fault.
It's just are the built in DACs as good as the new 24 bit and 32 bit that you can get to day.

If I try a Chromecast do I have to run that through a dac or dose it go straight in to the pre amp?

Also I use Amazon music on my phone in the car so could I use this?
Many thanks.

I went from a series of CD players to CD/DVD/BLURAY player plus DAC, upgraded the DAC and now never actually play CDs even when I occasionally buy one. I just play my ripped and downloaded files (no streaming, since I want my library to be available whether the bean-counters think the albums are profitable or not).

Doubt very much if a modern DAC would improve on the DAC in these machines. As Mike P suggests, buying spare lasers for them would be a wise move. Otherwise enjoy them as they are.

Many thanks for your replies.
I do love the old players they are built so well they both read all discs fast and play with out fault.
It's just are the built in DACs as good as the new 24 bit and 32 bit that you can get to day.

If I try a Chromecast do I have to run that through a dac or dose it go straight in to the pre amp?

Also I use Amazon music on my phone in the car so could I use this?
Many thanks.

Yes Chromecast Audio direct to preamp 3.5mm Jack to RCA’s. If you then decide on DAC mini Toslink to Toslink.

IIRC Amazon music works.

Gary

Many thanks for your help on this. Been really helpful.
So looks like it's keep the lovely vintage Sony and Kenwood and enjoy them with the CDs.
And then start thinking about streaming to find new music then buy that on vinyl or cd to enjoy in full.

In terms of measurements a modern chifi dac will $hit all over them from a great height, -120db snr, 22 bit actual output, 125db dynamic range. Old dacs will be mid 90s db at best

Philips cdm 9pro transport and Chinese dac user here.

I see but that's measurements not what they actually sound like. Some things may look good on paper but when it comes down to it there no better.
I have tried many newer cd players such as Densen and Primare and acram and Avi. And many more. But I have always come back to these two players.

Honest statement : keep your actual machine as it’s a very good one even by today’s standards and get a spare laser and you will be good for another 10+ years.

Opportunist’s statement : sell it to me !

Good measurements don’t necessarily mean good sound. And some changes in measurement can be barely distinguishable sometimes indistinguishable. I think it’s unwise to get hooked on this. That’s not saying that they are not valuable of course.

At everything better than -120db there is no sound to a dac, it just gives you what's in the file. If people some flavour that's fair enough.

advertisement

Back