advertisement

Thinking about giving up on Vinyl

Nobody has to give up on any of the formats. It’s nice to have it on hand just in case you get an urge to play vinyl, pop in a cd, flick on the tuner or even roll a cassette. Best of all worlds.

Some months ago, while on a visit to the smoke, I chanced on a comprehensive records shop in the real. I hadn't been near one in years. My god, it was like being a kid in a sweets shop. I spent a small fortune!

I bailed out of vinyl over twenty years ago, in the sense that I stopped playing records and sold my Thorens TT, but kept the records.

I soon came to regret selling the TT and so bought another one - and now a second one! - and am enjoying my records and owning TTs again.

I'm old enough to remember when it was records, FM radio, R to R tape or nothing.

I rather like it that records and TTs are now über-cool again....and by association so am I, at least that's what my children & grandchildren tell me :)!

Last edited:
I was thinking that vinyl was a PITA too, takes up so much space and the system could be so much more compact and easier to position without it.

However, a few lads from work asked me to join them on their DJ nights, where they just play local bars once a month. We just play what we want, but strictly vinyl only. It’s great fun. So much so I am buying and playing more than ever.

I also sold about 50 good records about 15 years ago and now have half of them back in my collection now. Purchased for much more and in worse condition than the new ones I originally bought. So certainly a regrettable decision there.

I still have more CDs and play those too, in fact I go through phases of preferring CD to vinyl and vice-versa.

I whittled down my albums to 100 I would not sell and probably 500 that I won't have time left to play in this lifetime, lots of which have never been played. Probably end up in a skip along with the system when I pop my clogs. Keep vinyl as a rare treat as my vanished pension has been the subject of a Police Investigation for four years so doubt I will ever afford another Koetsu,lol. Last record fair I ventured to was dead and when I saw some of the prices, was not surprised. Mobile Fidelity's of Alison Krauss, Little Feat, John Hiatt and the Dead will go in the coffin beside me, unless her indoors finds out how much they might fetch!

Part of me likes finding out that the best cut of Led Zep is the USA 1st press cut by Robert Ludwig (or was that Zep 1, i get confused) or that Blue Note 80th Anniversary presses are better than the 75th, but another part of me wants to scream and run into the sea!..

Though someone else will prefer a 70s BN Liberty pressing and someone else again a Japanese King...

All good fun so long as you take it with a pinch of salt and don't let it get in the way of sticking on a record and enjoying it.

I once visited a branch of Disk Union in Tokyo when they were celebrating some Beatles anniversary and the whole floor was given over to Beatles vinyl. For each album there was a rack of Japanese pressings with subdividers for the original Japanese issue, then each subsequent reissue, then a rack of UK pressings, then US pressings, then other countries, picture discs etc. Then the same thing all over again for the next album. Just incredible!

advertisement

Back