advertisement

Fiio players

garyi

leave blank
Anyone any experience of these players? I fancy something for use with my IEMs. I use airpods pro with my iphone usually, but contrary to popular belief they sound shite and apples restriction on volume is annoying.

I did have a Bluetooth headphone dac thingy which when it worked was fine.

I see M7s knocking around ebay for not too bad price.

I use an Fiio M6 which is nice and small, sounds half decent (especially compared to my phone) but navigating my library can be slow. It is one of the cheaper models so speed may be a lot better on the bigger ones.

I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JDR5SYZ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Sounds very good indeed with my Grado SR60s. Fantastic value. (No Bluetooth though.) It's a bit slow to bootup with my current library size (~140Gbytes) but once up I don't find the navigation a problem (though you need good eyesight or glasses).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
M7 user here - used infrequently (on holidays, which have been limited recently), but very happy with both Bluetooth and iem use. Startup could be much faster, but once going, very happy.

I’ve seen alternative firmware offerings that may improve things, but have never tried them.

Also both my iems have a little pause control on the wire, when plugged into a shit little thing I have here because the mic jack is 4 pole it does not work properly unless I pull it out a ways. Is this an issue?

My X5 mkiii is fine with flac. Mind you, I haven't used it since I stopped working in an office

I found the sound quality on the cheaper Fiio players to be very substandard. I never tried any above £200. I was appalled that something could be so bad to be honest.

I then purchased a Pioneer XDP30-R after returning them and it was like night and day. The Pioneer is brilliant.

I found the sound quality on the cheaper Fiio players to be very substandard. I never tried any above £200. I was appalled that something could be so bad to be honest.

I then purchased a Pioneer XDP30-R after returning them and it was like night and day. The Pioneer is brilliant.

I'm surprised you found that. For £60 the M3k is outstanding I think, much better than I was expecting at that price. (A whole different league to previous generation i-pods etc). Maybe your headphones are a difficult load?

I'm surprised you found that. For £60 the M3k is outstanding I think, much better than I was expecting at that price. (A whole different league to previous generation i-pods etc). Maybe your headphones are a difficult load?

I found my Iphone and Ipod better than the M3K. I used them with a few different types of earphones, from basic Apple buds, to Bose QC35's, but none ever sounded good. I appreciate I did not use them with a super expensive set of audiophile earphones, but I dont believe one should need that level to get a decent basic sound, the iPhone does fine on its own.

I found the sound with the Fiio was brittle and harsh, very much like how cheap hifi equipment sounds. I sent them back and bought the XDP30 and voila, proper sound.

All subjective of course, it just wasn't for me. I am replacing my XDP30 soon but wouldnt try a Fiio again.

I found my Iphone and Ipod better than the M3K. I used them with a few different types of earphones, from basic Apple buds, to Bose QC35's, but none ever sounded good. I appreciate I did not use them with a super expensive set of audiophile earphones, but I dont believe one should need that level to get a decent basic sound, the iPhone does fine on its own.

I found the sound with the Fiio was brittle and harsh, very much like how cheap hifi equipment sounds. I sent them back and bought the XDP30 and voila, proper sound.

All subjective of course, it just wasn't for me. I am replacing my XDP30 soon but wouldnt try a Fiio again.

Interesting how perceptions differ. In comparison I found the i-pod (classic 80, circa 2006) flabby & uninvolving.

Have had a X3 for 6 or 7 years and very happy with it. Sound quality in my view is excellent especially considering how inexpensive it is.

Takes up to 24/192 and I use it on the go with headphones (AKG and B&W) or plugged in to my two systems. Works in both one with KEF LS50's and the other with KEF References.

Certainly doesn't sound brittle or harsh.

Another happy (for most of the time!) X5 mkiii user. It can be a bit 'clunky' as all Fiio's I've heard, but does sound good to these cloth ears.
Use it with either Sen 600's or Sound Magic iem

advertisement

Back