advertisement

Genesis

Valid points alanbeeb.
I think Steve has always had a “quirky” side to his writing and I fully understand why people don’t get it. Ultimately for me it’s his guitar playing that has me hooked (although last night I did think his guitar could have been slightly louder in the mix).

I not really into flash hyper fast guitar playing, but there’s a certain skill level where a note sustained speaks far louder than something flash. I always felt Steve was superb at this

Seconds Out has always been a favourite of mine and tonight I thought it was done justice. As for the singer, he has got better over the years but I do get what you mean!:)

Any other PFM'ers see them at MK in '82 for the "Six of the Best" reunion gig?

Memorable in so so many ways ... mainly the pent-up anticipation for them to get on-stage after 6 hours of waiting in the pouring rain and being ankle deep in mud breathing in copious amounts of the crowds 'habit'! Great gig.

Oh ... nearly forgot about the bikers at the front throwing bottles of something urine coloured at Talk Talk mid afternoon and chucking them off-stage! Serves them right if you ask me. :D

Think I also remember John Martyn being brilliant ... but maybe ever so slightly worse-for-wear. :confused:

Yes, I was there. Still have the programme & t-shirt (it 'shrank'). I loved John Martyn and Talk Talk. Thought the Blues Band were boring. Genesis were awesome, though the recordings I've heard since tend to point towards a somewhat unpolished performance :)

Hated the trudge through the mud to the car afterwards and waiting an age to actually move.

Last edited:
I remember being soaked to the skin but it all being very worth it.:)
John Martyn was great but I did feel a bit sorry for Talk Talk (wrong place wrong time) - who'd have thought they'd have gone on to be such a superb band.

I LOVE prog, but just can't get on with Genesis, the odd song excepted. I do like Gabriel's early solo albums too - a massive talent.

Part of the fun of going to prog concerts is checking out the old t-shirts on display. Even if I was into band/gig paraphernalia (which I'm not), there's no way I could fit into a t-shirt bought in my youth. But it didn't stop some people trying :)
Signora also likes to watch the bald heads bobbing along with the music.

We saw Hackett at Poole Lighthouse, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Haven't listened to Supper's Ready for a while, and it was well rendered and deserving of the standing ovation. The comparison with the Genesis concert was stark, and reminded me that innovation in the band pretty much stopped after Wuthering. Hackett was more influential in their sound than you might normally think.

After Wuthering of course there were only 3 components rather than 4 feeding into the musical mix so it would be less innovative, Rutherford had to step up to the plate and Phil was going of on his burgeoning solo career. ATTWT does have some moments, though not many. Duke was a return to form and they finally gave tribute to King Crimson at the end of Duke's Travels (the bit where it goes quite and come back again as per Epitaph) After that not much imho...

Always been Genesis fan, but with a preference for the early years. Saw them in London on the W&W tour and then a couple of times in the early 80's. I have keenly followed Hackett's solo career and seen him four times over the years, from his Spectral Mornings album, through to his Genesis Revisited stuff four or five years ago.

I was not inclined to see Genesis this time around given cost and a dislike for stadium venues, but primarily since I had already booked one of Hackett's Seconds Out tour dates. After the Covid delay, that came round last night at New Theatre Oxford. A brilliant gig, both solo work and Genesis material done superbly well. Highly recommended!

Cheers

advertisement

Back