advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
You argued that Bruce is a Championship level manager. The facts say he isn't. If you want to talk about whether he's a good manager at PL level or if Benitez is a better manager, those are different discussions. But as a Newcastle fan you are clearly highly biased in the way nearly all supporters of any club are; unless a team is comfortably exceeding expectations, it's always the manager's fault.

I've just been looking at Bruce's Championship stats. He averages 1.72 Points Per Game in that league. That form generally puts you in, at least, the playoffs. I think he will get offers from down their. He's got a good record at that level, with 4 PL promotions.

Bruce's PL Record at Newcastle, Points Per Game (Final Position):

2019/20 - 1.16 (13)
2020/21 - 1.18 (12)
2021/22 - 0.42 (19)*

* 7 Games Played to date, 18.42% of PL Season.
Would you take Bielsa from Leeds as a replacement now that they've scraped a 1-0 home win against Watford? He's internationally well regarded, including by Pep in the PL, and is now a whole 3 points ahead of Newcastle. I'm not supporting Bruce, you understand, merely making a comparison of where the 2 teams currently are.

Would you take Bielsa from Leeds as a replacement now that they've scraped a 1-0 home win against Watford? He's internationally well regarded, including by Pep in the PL, and is now a whole 3 points ahead of Newcastle. I'm not supporting Bruce, you understand, merely making a comparison of where the 2 teams currently are.

Yes, I would take him over Bruce at this point in time. I think the second season after promotion to the Premier League can be difficult to survive. Most teams have worked out your tactics and system of play by then. I do think Leeds will survive, but they probably won't have it as good as last season. 2nd season survival is key though.

From Twitter: "Saudi crown prince warned Boris Johnson in a text message that UK-Saudi Arabian relations would be damaged if the UK government failed to intervene to “correct” the Premier League’s “wrong” decision not to allow a takeover of Newcastle United last year"
But there is no link whatsoever between the consortium & S-A;)

NUFC fans never wanted Bruce in the first place. I do think Benitez is a better manager than Bruce but he faced similar struggles to Him under the Ashley regime.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Steven Gerrard isn’t the next manager, the fans will probably dislike him also.

NUFC fans never wanted Bruce in the first place. I do think Benitez is a better manager than Bruce but he faced similar struggles to Him under the Ashley regime.
We didn't want Bruce...and?
Rafa handled those struggles so much better.
Wouldn’t surprise me if Steven Gerrard isn’t the next manager, the fans will probably dislike him also.
I would be very surprised.
Not keen meself...not proven. And I'm not sure he has a great tactical brain.
Are you implying NUFC fans are fickle?

But there is no link whatsoever between the consortium & S-A;)

I don't deny this. The Premier Leagues unofficial position was they wouldn't allow a Saudi takeover and whilst piracy by beoutQ was happening in Saudi whilst beIN Sports was being refused a broadcasting license within Saudi. This was part of a bigger political middle east issue. The Premier League used the takeover situation as leverage to sort out the broadcasting issues. I don't blame them for doing that. However, the Ashley legal proceedings would have probably exposed allot of information and happenings that the Premier League would probably like to keep a lid on. Therefore, a deal has been brokered that satisfied all parties and the legal proceedings have now gone away.

Last edited:
Given our current struggles and position, I can't see Gerrard being in the running at this time. However, as with Bruce, I believe Gerrard would be given a fair crack at the role by fans.

This Newcastle job needs someone who can come in, organise the defence to keep clean sheets and nick goals on the counter-attack. I actually think Sam Allardyce fits this role short-term. Whether he would want it, is up for debate. Allardyce was asked by Ashley to come in before Bruce, but he refused the offer because Ashley had sacked him in 2008. Sam is also good friends with Steve Bruce, so he might not want to succeed his mate getting the chop.

That page contradicts itself. Player Data, Market value shows a Highest market value of £31.5m, yet the Transfer Fee below for Leeds > Man U states £41.4m? Strange.

Anyhow, I believe the correct figure was around the £30m mark.

Even if it was 30m, it shows that high transfer fees are not new. I remember United smashing the transfer record continuously and consistently spending big sums: Anderson 28m, Carrick 24m, Rooney 33m, Veron 38m, Van Nistelrooy 26m and Dwight Yorke 17m were huge fees at that time, certainly beyond the reach of all others. Applying 'football inflation' to these figures would see some 150m to 200m fees.

Top 5 rich list of owners in the Premier League (give or take a billion):

1. Newcastle United - Saudi investment Fund (£320bn)

2. Man City – Sheikh Mansour (£22.9bn)

3. Chelsea – Roman Abramovich (£9.6bn)

4. Arsenal – Stan Kroenke (£6.35bn)

5. Aston Villa – Nassef Sawiris (£5.3bn)

Maybe the rumour that City were lobbying for new FFP regulations is true.

Top 5 rich list of owners in the Premier League (give or take a billion):

1. Newcastle United - Saudi investment Fund (£320bn)

2. Man City – Sheikh Mansour (£22.9bn)

3. Chelsea – Roman Abramovich (£9.6bn)

4. Arsenal – Stan Kroenke (£6.35bn)

5. Aston Villa – Nassef Sawiris (£5.3bn)

Maybe the rumour that City were lobbying for new FFP regulations is true.

Given that the City is owned by a country, I am disappointed with that figure. :(

Watching Newcastle play Leeds earlier this season I was struck by how well Bielsa organised a poor squad hit by injuries. Newcastle had better players but were poorly organised and failed to capitalise on their strengths.

I made for an entertaining game but if I was a supporter of either I'd be concerned. Swap mangers on that showing and Leeds would be relegated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back