advertisement

Managing the great Sky TV rip-off

Hi,

Sky here, pay £81 a month, get I think what they call the Entertainment Pack or maybe this has been replaced by Sky Max, plus Sports, HD, Box Sets, don't have Sky Q, Multi Room or films, I could check up on my Sky account to see what I have but I cannot be bothered.

The amount of content is vast, just watched the complete 3rd series of Brassic end of last week, first episode only went out last night, yes Sky has a lot to offer.

Cost is about £2.70 a day, which in comparison to a bottle of wine, pint of beer or whatever floats your boat is really good value for money, in my opinion.

Virgin Media, my sister has it for TV and phone, the most useless company on the TV and home phone front, does their system ever work?

BT called me, I have their broadband, very good, offered me the Sky package I have, apart from the Box Sets and recording two stations while watching a recording, told them I cannot get Freeview, there followed a discussion that I must be able to get Freeview as it was part of their package, I tried to explain about people who live in the country where some times terrestrial TV is not able to be received, however they seemed to think this was impossible in this day and age, so gave up on the conversation and said no thanks.

Sky may have many issues from who used to own it or who does own it, the content, price, customer support, however given the options available, if one forgets some of the issues I just quoted, it is a good deal usually for the small outlay a day compaired to drink, cigarettes, cars, sporting activities and HiFi.

Cheers

John
I think you’re overpaying.
I have Sky Q UHD, multi room, Netflix, Box sets, All channels apart from sky cinema, 100meg ultra fast fibre to the property, and ‘landline’ phone, all for just under £100 a month.

I think you’re overpaying.
I have Sky Q UHD, multi room, Netflix, Box sets, All channels apart from sky cinema, 100meg ultra fast fibre to the property, and ‘landline’ phone, all for just under £100 a month.

I think it is you that has a great deal, I know my friends who have a basic Sky package no sports, HD or box sets are are paying a little less than me, so maybe you got a great deal.

Sky have offered me Sky Q with multi room for no extra cost, however I cannot transfer all my recorded content from my Sky HD Plus box, plus they want to put a new dish up.

I have explained to them I need the larger dish, which I have already, and more importantly not to sling the cable up over the roof and down over the gutters as the cable rubs against the gutters and frays and then you get capillary action where the water eventually ends up at the Sky box, if they route the cable around the house give me the larger dish I will take their offer up, but they say the dish and cable route is in the hands of the installers.

These prices are eye watering to me, I cannot believe it. I have my fair share of subs, but even netflix, disney, prime, appleTV+, Crunchyroll does not scratch the cost of Sky. I think some of you need to do some research haha.

Now TV and HD Boost works pretty well here. Currently on a 3 month £19.99 deal for Sport and £4.99 for Entertainment. Also got HD Boost for £2 month.

Been using Now TV for sport for a few years now and I've never , ever paid the full asking. Every time I cancel they give me another offer (Had sport for 6 months at £25 earlier this year)

We ditched Sky 10 years ago and installed a Humax 1000 recorder in its place. Subscription free and worked just fine until a couple of weeks ago when the hard drive started losing recordings. So we ditched that and installed a Manhattan Freeview recorder and the wife much prefers it. No more lost recordings if it's been chucking it down with rain either.

There are some cool options for digital recording of terrestrial tv that can then be slotted into PLEX for instance for play back via AppleTVs, etc.

These prices are eye watering to me, I cannot believe it. I have my fair share of subs, but even netflix, disney, prime, appleTV+, Crunchyroll does not scratch the cost of Sky. I think some of you need to do some research haha.

Agreed, i cancelled about 20 years ago when they put family pack plus music channels up to a tenner and dropped a couple of the best.

Now living on the edge with Freeview, Freesat and any old garbage on You Tube.

I looove youtube. The whole family does. According to my router we have consumed 40gigs of youtube in the past 7 days.

Decided to stick with Sky for the time being but was politely insistent that I needed the cost substantially reduced else I would have to cancel.
Cost dropped from £90 per month out of contract to £48 locked in for 18 months.
Shocking.

advertisement

Back