advertisement

New ATC centre channel speaker at Abbey Road?

I think we need to see this in the thread! WTF! >

BlackBirdDolbyVintageKing.jpg.pagespeed.ce.W4tOB5rwNw.jpg

Built in the local lumber yard, it seems :)

I can't get on with surround sound. I did have it about 10 years ago and it was so much better when I got rid of it (cables and clutter was a minor issue). It's just so distracting. An explosion or a helicopter from the rear just makes me look around away from the screen. It's distracting and for me actually ruins the illusion of being in the movie. Two channels is enough. Even for concert footage, hearing someone from behind is just annoying.

Slightly off topic but my 4.0 system beats a proper cinema system for realism and a sense of being right there hands down. And the crazy thing is, it's not even close!

For example, I went to see the latest Bond film last week and although the sound system could do big volume really well, it still seemed as though I was watching something on a screen over there because the audio didn't bring it to life, as it were - despite what cinema marketing video claimed beforehand. But on my system, the audio makes you feel as though what's happening is real and that you're practically on set, almost as if you're the camera guy.

I too have a 4.1 system (I don't often mention my lack of centre speaker for fear of reprisals... But if stereo has sound appearing between the speakers, why shouldn't movies!).

Anyway I absolutely love it, and rear speakers have always been placed where they fit in terms of door frames etc... I.e. never for perfect imaging. I'm moving up to 6.1 soon... Will be interesting to see how it sounds. I'd like some ceiling speakers too but can't get my head around how to run the cables... Might have to go upstairs and lift some floor boards!

Probably explains - at least in part - why I haven't been able to get them to service and do the tweeter upgrade on my Active 50's for the last 2 years.

It took me 9 months to get my 100s in and this was pre pandemic.

Atc will prioritise new production of product over existing and old product service, from what I can tell.

That said I’ve found Pete to be very helpful and accommodating!

Just keep checking in!

Certainly well advised to check possible timescale before committing to the job. After a few weeks last summer ( 2020 ) of emails back and forth, dropped off speakers end of May 20 and then collected job done early Aug 20. I was forewarned it could take 8 - 10 weeks and appears many studios were sending their units back for work in June/July 20, so ATC were very busy after a short spell of less work. Maybe I was lucky and got in the "gap".

I have 5:1 speakers in the TV room. PMC DB1i’s with PMC centre speaker and Monitor Audio Sub.

It sounds pleasing with films and radio, but for music I prefer the 2:1 speaker set up in the music room.

It took me 9 months to get my 100s in and this was pre pandemic.

Atc will prioritise new production of product over existing and old product service, from what I can tell.

That said I’ve found Pete to be very helpful and accommodating!

Just keep checking in!

I agree, Pete has been nothing but courteous but he does seem to be swamped. I don't know how much of their turnover comes from studio/pro work, and I suppose that drives their priorities. Perhaps they are under-capitalised & need to get some venture capitalists involved ?

I agree, Pete has been nothing but courteous but he does seem to be swamped. I don't know how much of their turnover comes from studio/pro work, and I suppose that drives their priorities. Perhaps they are under-capitalised & need to get some venture capitalists involved ?

It’s a pattern in my view - being swamped - that’s been going on for some time ie years.
That said I think financially they are absolutely fine and enjoy their independence. But the wait can be a bit frustrating!

What's the rest of the system? Bet it rocks!

System is:
ATC 50ASL for front 3 channels
ATC C4 Subwoofer
ATC 20-2A for rear channels
Anthem AVM 60 surround processor
Mytek Manhattan II Pre/DAC (front 2 channels of surround system pass through the pre-amp)
SOtM SMS-200 streamer
Zappiti PRO 4K (Video streamer)
Apple TV 4K
Sky Q
Music stored on a Windows 10 Pro PC running roon
Video stored on QNAP NAS

Just moved house so still in the process of getting the new room setup, hopefully just another couple of weeks or so. I'll post pictures of the whole system once I have it all up and running again.

I’d like to see ATC put on some sort of mobile tweeter replacement and service service . I would love to get mine done but the logistics are scary
Years ago I needed my 100s upgraded and ATC sent me flight cases to return the speakers in, and all went well. Still not an easy job though, and now that me and the mrs are on the far side of 70 not a job we’d fancy doing again. You can make them a bit easier to move if you take out the amp pack - it is quite heavy.

I’d like to see ATC put on some sort of mobile tweeter replacement and service service . I would love to get mine done but the logistics are scary
I agree. However the crossover has quite a number of adjustments for matching amplitude and phase response across all of the drivers, and some probably need re-setting for a new drive unit. The factory has the facilities and it might be more difficult to do this accurately in the field, although I suspect it could be done well enough for most.

Amp pack photo here. The square grey things (they are blue in more recent amp packs) with the white circular centres with screwdriver slot are the adjustments. The amp pack is a bit larger than A4 size - the iron in that transformer (as @AndyU writes) must weigh a proverbial ton.

advertisement

Back