advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

I suspect many of these energy trading companies aren't really worth anything, as has just been proven by what's happened. All they are really doing is speculating on energy prices (i.e. hoping to buy low an sell a little bit higher). I expect it'll be different if one of the actual generation companies get into trouble, although I don't think many are currently UK owned.

I could be wrong, but I think the French Government is the largest single owner of UK generation capacity :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Interesting. I'd've though that if you have enough self-generation in a power cut, you'd still have power.
There is a requirement for Solar PV to cut out in a power cut to avoid feeding back to the substation for safety reasons. The Powerwall Gateway 2 has switches to isolate the house from the grid in a lower cut for this reason.

However, self sufficiency was more meant in terms of generation in this case as I read it.

Ours (Utility Point) tanked in September. I am still waiting to get the finer details from the Offgem apointed "supplier of last resort" EDF, but so far as I can work out from what information is available on various comparison sites etc, my energy costs have more than doubled overnight and my household will fall into the old definition of fuel poverty*.

*I am quite certain that this was deliberately changed to help them cover up that their combined Environmental and Energy policies have been to do what makes them look good and is politically expediant at the time, without any thought for long term security, sustainability or affordability of supply

Utility Point helped themselves to a monthly direct debit from my account over a week after announcing they were bust and my account was being transferred to EDF.

I got an email today promising a £120 refund from Symbio, to be paid out within 10 days. I'll believe it when I see it.

Utility Point helped themselves to a monthly direct debit from my account over a week after announcing they were bust and my account was being transferred to EDF.
Yes, I had the same thing. I am relatively unconcerned about that as any credit balance is protected under Ofgem rules and presumably their recievers will collect on any debt; but did make a mental note to make sure I double check their maths and that that DD has been included!

Still waiting for further information from British Gas about taking over our supply and what the DD amount will be - they emailed on the 1st to say they would be. Have looked up the tariff we'll be on and and compared it to the last monthly bill from Peoples Energy. That bill was for £86.28, on the new tariff it would have been £122.38 roughly a 42% rise.
That's without any heating on - we'll be trying to hold off switching that on as long as possible.

Colorado Energy and Pure Planet have now ceased trading.
I'm with the latter so hope to receive information as to who will take over.

Colorado Energy and Pure Planet have now ceased trading.
I'm with the latter so hope to receive information as to who will take over.

Same; just seen this via BBC and went onto the app and its stated the same there; but also our balance moves to the new supplier, whenever that's sorted!

Weird & shitty times we're in currently!

We don't use our stove that much as we find the central heating so much easier ( call it laziness if you like :oops: ) but we've stocked up on logs and I bought twenty bags of smokeless coal this week. We'll see how things go this winter but I'm seriously considering fitting a back boiler. We haven't had the central heating on yet and we've only fired the stove up a couple of times as its been quite mild here. Unfortunately as we all make an effort to use less energy the providers will seek to increase prices as they'll always want their pound of flesh. I've often thought that households should be supplied a certain amount of electricity or gas at cost and charged a premium rate for usage above that so that those who are not so well off might at least be able to keep their homes warm when the weather is against us.

I've often thought that households should be supplied a certain amount of electricity or gas at cost and charged a premium rate for usage above that so that those who are not so well off might at least be able to keep their homes warm when the weather is against us.

Good sentiment but i have my doubts that it would affect consumption for those who prefer to heat their homes to 25 degrees or thereabouts. So far, no heating here (Norwich) either, but it's been touch 'n' go a couple of evenings. However, I have 2 drawers of seldom used jumpers which need being pressed into service.

We do tend to wrap up warm too but I'm resting on the bed atm in shirt sleeves and we've had no heating on at all today. Unless a person is ill I can't see any reason why anyone would need to heat their home to 25 degrees either.

I'm seriously considering fitting a back boiler.

I have had solid fuel central heating here for about 40 years as the gas main only reached us about 10 years ago. My latest stove (Charnwood SLX45) was fitted about 25 years ago and the enamel on the doors is now starting to break up and as new set are about £500, I am wondering if replacing them is a sensible option or should I scrap the boiler and fit an ASHP instead. The main issue for me is how long (relatively cheap) coal will be option. I’m surprised it isn’t already being taxed into extinction and can’t see the current cost being permitted for much longer. Last year I calculated the costs and CO2 compared to my new gas boiler and they were about equal so presumably coal is currently by far the cheaper option, which is so wrong from an environmental perspective.

advertisement

Back