advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

I've been looking at log burning stoves recently with a view to having one in the main sitting room. Many places seem to be out of stock. I wonder why?

It’s a no brainer if you have a chimney. If you don’t, just install a Selkirk stainless steel one. Buy a rear vented burner and you can cook a casserole on it when we get power blackouts.
In such uncertain times, self sufficiency is a very good thing to have.

:D:D:D
Apologies for being obscure. It’s just that Avro to me means Lancaster and Vulcan, not an energy company.

I’ve also worked at Chadderton and Woodford…Avro factories.
I was brought up near Chadderton in Alkrington and although it was Hawker Siddeley when I became aware of the factory for my parents it was always Avro's.

Remember some great family day events in the very early 80's and applying and failing to get an apprenticeship there in 1983. Also failed at Ferranti's in Hollingwood. Also remember Woodford air shows and of course thunderous EE Lightning displays.:D

Apologies if this has already been said, but why doesn’t government see the power companies looking for a handout as a business as a business opportunity. That is, assess the long term viability of the company and offer financial assistance in return for a stake in the company and a regular return?

Wouldn’t this fit in with Tory business ideology as well as Labour’s nod to common ownership (not nationalisation)?

Apologies if this has already been said, but why doesn’t government see the power companies looking for a handout as a business as a business opportunity. That is, assess the long term viability of the company and offer financial assistance in return for a stake in the company and a regular return?

Wouldn’t this fit in with Tory business ideology as well as Labour’s nod to common ownership (not nationalisation)?

I suspect many of these energy trading companies aren't really worth anything, as has just been proven by what's happened. All they are really doing is speculating on energy prices (i.e. hoping to buy low an sell a little bit higher). I expect it'll be different if one of the actual generation companies get into trouble, although I don't think many are currently UK owned.

I suspect many of these energy trading companies aren't really worth anything, as has just been proven by what's happened. All they are really doing is speculating on energy prices (i.e. hoping to buy low an sell a little bit higher). I expect it'll be different if one of the actual generation companies get into trouble, although I don't think many are currently UK owned.
You’re not suggesting that the current economic model is not suitable for supplying public needs I hope???

For once, Johnson is being true to his word: “F*ck business" in action...

Boris Johnson’s “f*** business” approach to the supply chain crisis is a risk for Brexit Britain
https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...ply-chain-crisis-is-a-risk-for-brexit-britain

In such uncertain times, self sufficiency is a very good thing to have.

I'm getting another load of logs delivered this week, should then have enough to get me through the colder months. I'm a bit frustrated by the turn of events as I'd hoped to reduce our reliance on the boiler stove and move towards more electric heating, but it doesn't seem like such a great idea right now.
After walking past a load of canal boats the other weekend and looking at all their solar panels, I've been wondering whether there's anything I could buy and install myself that could provide lighting and/or low level heating. Kinda thinking about my kitchen, which is really just a lean-to. Then I started casually reading about solar water heaters, and that's interesting too.

I'm getting another load of logs delivered this week, should then have enough to get me through the colder months. I'm a bit frustrated by the turn of events as I'd hoped to reduce our reliance on the boiler stove and move towards more electric heating, but it doesn't seem like such a great idea right now.
After walking past a load of canal boats the other weekend and looking at all their solar panels, I've been wondering whether there's anything I could buy and install myself that could provide lighting and/or low level heating. Kinda thinking about my kitchen, which is really just a lean-to. Then I started casually reading about solar water heaters, and that's interesting too.

I’ve got solar thermal (it’s actually kicked in just now). I was highly sceptical when my wife suggested it about 12 years ago but have to say, it works really well. Gives all our hot water the majority of the year. In my experience, forget about any govt grants and buy it yourself, it’ll be cheaper. I’ve not got solar PV, my main objection was that it would look hideous on the house. However, I’d certainly be saving a good chunk on the electricity bill had I installed.

For once, Johnson is being true to his word: “F*ck business" in action...

Boris Johnson’s “f*** business” approach to the supply chain crisis is a risk for Brexit Britain
https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...ply-chain-crisis-is-a-risk-for-brexit-britain
To be fair to Boris (not a phrase I like to use too often) letting an inefficient business go to the wall is very much part of the Tory economic ideology. Taking the next step and coming to the conclusion that such an economic ideology does not serve the long term needs of the consumer, or the environmental needs of our planet, is however beyond the thinking of our current leaders on both sides of the house

I'm getting another load of logs delivered this week, should then have enough to get me through the colder months.

I've got a garden full of tree trunks and similar burnable material plus an open fire which we used to use. Unfortunately, wifie is against getting the fire functional again, besides which I'd prob. have to have it swept and my chainsaw's auto brake doesn't work. Handsaw is fine but my energy levels are not.

Just before G.B. dropped the first and generous feed-in tariff, I had my south-facing tiled roof surveyed for solar panels; it could manage 1 short of the 4 kW max. As I couldn't get the chap to guarantee installation schedules during the pandemonium, I demurred. I was also at that time concerned about any effect on my hifi supply (since dismissed) plus the negativity brandished at that time about disfiguring one's roof and consequent depreciation of asset value.

As I think those days are gone, I do wonder if it is definitely a worthwhile consideration now, in the light of increasing energy costs, as we won't be moving again.

If you are not going to move any time soon, and the plot/house has the ability to take panels, then it seems to be a no brainer to install whatever you can to take yourself as most self reliant as possible.

My mother lives on her own in bungalow. She has panels for both electricity and hot water (in Dorset) and her utility bills as a result are vanishingly low.

I've got a garden full of tree trunks and similar burnable material plus an open fire which we used to use. Unfortunately, wifie is against getting the fire functional again, besides which I'd prob. have to have it swept and my chainsaw's auto brake doesn't work. Handsaw is fine but my energy levels are not.

Just before G.B. dropped the first and generous feed-in tariff, I had my south-facing tiled roof surveyed for solar panels; it could manage 1 short of the 4 kW max. As I couldn't get the chap to guarantee installation schedules during the pandemonium, I demurred. I was also at that time concerned about any effect on my hifi supply (since dismissed) plus the negativity brandished at that time about disfiguring one's roof and consequent depreciation of asset value.

As I think those days are gone, I do wonder if it is definitely a worthwhile consideration now, in the light of increasing energy costs, as we won't be moving again.

I believe there was a scam whereby ‘cheap’ PV solar panels were installed by companies who then effectively owned the roof of the house as part of the contract. Clearly breach of contract for anyone with a mortgage and made the properties unsaleable by being unmortgageable!

If you are not going to move any time soon, and the plot/house has the ability to take panels, then it seems to be a no brainer to install whatever you can to take yourself as most self reliant as possible.

Here in the US, unless you have a battery like a Tesla powerwall, then your electric is disconnected when there is a power outage, so you're not really self reliant unless you spend the extra $10k for the battery.

I believe there was a scam whereby ‘cheap’ PV solar panels were installed by companies who then effectively owned the roof of the house by being unmortgageable!

Yes, there were a number of those, and even then were openly discussed as dodgy deals. Think the company supplied (almost) f.o.c. as an incentive.

Here in the US, unless you have a battery like a Tesla powerwall, then your electric is disconnected when there is a power outage, so you're not really self reliant unless you spend the extra $10k for the battery.

Interesting. I'd've though that if you have enough self-generation in a power cut, you'd still have power.

Ours (Utility Point) tanked in September. I am still waiting to get the finer details from the Offgem apointed "supplier of last resort" EDF, but so far as I can work out from what information is available on various comparison sites etc, my energy costs have more than doubled overnight and my household will fall into the old definition of fuel poverty*.

*I am quite certain that this was deliberately changed to help them cover up that their combined Environmental and Energy policies have been to do what makes them look good and is politically expediant at the time, without any thought for long term security, sustainability or affordability of supply

advertisement

Back