advertisement

Kudos X2?

greg788

pfm Member
I have a chance to pick up a mint pair of these at a great price.

What's the sonic characteristic of these? Are they bright, forward, neutral, etc.

And do you feel they'd be driven adequately with 20 watts of class A solid state? I listen at moderate levels generally.

A forum search and even web searches didn't provide a lot of info

I had a pair and thought them outstanding - easily the best small floorstanders I had heard. They were happily driven by 19wpc of Icon 20SE, and worked equally well with a Supernait 2.

I listen mostly to large-scale classical music, with some solo piano, chamber music, jazz and world music. As best I can remember they were present (rather than forward) and had great clarity (rather than being bright). Bass was very impressive and they were easy to position - the downward-firing port took care of that.

If I hadn't moved on to omnidirectional speakers I could have kept them quite happily. Since they are no longer made, a nice pair at a good price are a bargain.

I think they're a real little gem of a speaker. Using nicely with 25w First Watt clone (class A), though the room isn't that large.

As best I can remember they were present (rather than forward) and had great clarity (rather than being bright). Bass was very impressive and they were easy to position - the downward-firing port took care of that.

This sums it up really well, though I also listen to more rock/indie/blues stuff stuff too.

Beautiful little speaker. I found them to be at their absolute best with acoustic- folk, jazz, etc.

yes they were being sold new at 799 till recently . quite a few bought them and seem happy with them from what i have read

I'm a long time owner of X2s. Very happy with them - I listen to a wide range of classical, rock and jazz. I'm using Rega electronics so cannot comment on 20W of class A but I suspect that will be fine, especially if you are not trying to reach concert levels of volume.

I bought some X2s some months ago in white to appease SWMBO. I'd been happily using my Ruark Talisman II for a number of years which I loved but needed something that fit into a revised room aesthetic.

The X2s impressed me when I demoed them on the end of the seller's AVI Labs Power amp. I got them home and they were installed on the end of my Naim Atom at the time and again they sounded bigger than they had any right to. The issue I had was rather more thuddiness in the bass and a loss of definition at higher volumes than I was prepared to compromise with. At the time I also had an Exposure 3010S2D integrated I was moving on, I tried the Exposure with the Kudos and things improved quite an order with the more powerful amp.

The Kudos' were moved on in the end, gone back to my trusty Talismans now. I'm sure at lower / medium volumes. they'll sound great but would caveat that with my observations that the need a bit of grunt to shake themselves off at higher volumes.

advertisement

Back