advertisement

National Trust AGM: resolution to ban hunting on NT land

Posting this here as apparently 1 in 7 households are National Trust members so I imagine that includes a fair few PFMers.

After years of reports of foxes being killed by hunts on NT property, the NT suspended trail hunting last year after webinars were leaked that showed hunt organisers referring to trail hunting as a 'smokescreen' and warning hunt participants to only record legal activity.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-24...ting-webinars-held-by-huntings-governing-body

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-26...ng-on-its-land-following-webinar-police-probe

The police found sufficient evidence to bring charges in February and the court case is ongoing.

There is currently an AGM resolution tabled calling for a permanent trail hunting ban on NT land.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...t-could-vote-to-ban-trail-hunting-on-its-land

If you are a NT member and support a permanent ban you can vote by post using the AGM booklet that came with the September National Trust Magazine or online using the link below.

https://secure.cesvotes.com/V3-1-0/nt21/en/login?

I saw a discussion of this on Twitter. The person outlined the myriad ways hunt organisers clouded the issues and managed to contravene the law. They're really bare-faced in this. It doesn't help by having a government where a sizeable number are clearly not in line with the ban (though there are indeed Tory members who fully support it). Some people seem to be telling the NT they will remove membership if nothing is done, though that might not be an ideal thing to do.

Some people seem to be telling the NT they will remove membership if nothing is done, though that might not be an ideal thing to do.

Indeed, some of the hunting fraternity aren't the sharpest knives in the roll.

Indeed, some of the hunting fraternity aren't the sharpest knives in the roll.

Most of them seem to just want a different place to ride, the roads are a bit lethal, many of the same issues as cyclists.

If you want to control foxes hunting with dogs is a complete failure.

Did have an interesting result many years ago; the hunt passed by in the distance and ten minutes later my GSD Gnasher appeared from a field of beet with a large fox in his mouth and buried in the freshly turned dirt.

Most of them seem to just want a different place to ride, the roads are a bit lethal, many of the same issues as cyclists.

If you want to control foxes hunting with dogs is a complete failure.

Did have an interesting result many years ago; the hunt passed by in the distance and ten minutes later my GSD Gnasher appeared from a field of beet with a large fox in his mouth and buried in the freshly turned dirt.

Both my daughters are horse riders, and they manage to do some really quite hair raising cross country stuff on common land and green belt without resorting to joining the hunt, and there’s no way they would even consider doing so.

I get the excitement of charging across the fields and through the woods on a horse, it’s as exhilarating as hell, but there’s no need for the hunting part of it, I don’t give a crap for the traditions, it’s just mediaeval.

I saw a discussion of this on Twitter. The person outlined the myriad ways hunt organisers clouded the issues and managed to contravene the law. They're really bare-faced in this. It doesn't help by having a government where a sizeable number are clearly not in line with the ban (though there are indeed Tory members who fully support it). Some people seem to be telling the NT they will remove membership if nothing is done, though that might not be an ideal thing to do.
Doesn't help having hunting royals ,Prince Charmless described fox hunting as "romantic" maybe he was
thinking of "tampongate" at the time.

The hunting lobby really are utter scum. Don’t be fooled by the wealth and privilege. Wildlife activist and broadcaster Chris Packham was the target of an arson attack over the weekend, and this is just the last of many forms of harassment he faces on a regular basis (he’s found birds of prey hung on his gate, many shot animals etc).

Some details here (Guardian, BBC).

PS I follow Manchester Hunt Sabs on Facebook. They seem good people. Peaceful protest, basically by just getting in the way of hunt criminality & violence. All fully documented though they are regularly the victims of violence and property damage from the thugs involved. They always have video footage and press charges. Intelligent and well coordinated protest.

Both my daughters are horse riders, and they manage to do some really quite hair raising cross country stuff on common land and green belt without resorting to joining the hunt, and there’s no way they would even consider doing so.

I get the excitement of charging across the fields and through the woods on a horse, it’s as exhilarating as hell, but there’s no need for the hunting part of it, I don’t give a crap for the traditions, it’s just mediaeval.

Very tight for places to ride here in Essex, a lot of farmers leave tracks, usually planted with pollinator mixes or bird food.

I don't know of any common land and most of our green belt is rapidly becoming housing estates!

Next door neighbour is probably going to be hunt master next year, chasing a human with bloodhounds.

The world is changing slowly.

I’m struggling to understand which box I should tick to vote against trail hunting on NT land: for, against or abstain.

I don’t want to vote against a ban by accident!

Very tight for places to ride here in Essex, a lot of farmers leave tracks, usually planted with pollinator mixes or bird food.

I don't know of any common land and most of our green belt is rapidly becoming housing estates!

Next door neighbour is probably going to be hunt master next year, chasing a human with bloodhounds.

The world is changing slowly.
Bloody good idea
I have several people who I'd put us as chasee.

Glad I'm not the only person who's confused. I'm a NT member yet can't see the full text of the proposal and don't want to support lying scrotes claiming to be engaged in a legal activity while they hack foxes to bits. I've lived in the country all my life yet my recollection of years ago when I spoke to farmers was generally tenant farmers were pissed off by the damage done by the hunt to fences etc that the tenant had to maintain.

advertisement

Back