advertisement

Lego brings out 9000 piece titanic model

Did the Titanic really fly a blue ensign?
Yes.

Civil vessels were allowed to fly the Blue Ensign under warrant from the Admiralty, but only if the vessel was captained by a member of the Naval Reserve and crewed by at least ten Naval Reservists. Both Titanic and Olympic met this requirement, and so flew the blue ensign on their maiden voyages.

The ships had both Red and Blue Engsign flags on board.

Oh balls. Now I need to add this to the Expensive-Lego-Sets-I-Really-Want-But-Can't-Quite-Justify-To-Myself list, along with both UCS Star Wars kits.
I think the Titanic is better (relative) value than the USC Millennium Falcon or Imperial Star Destroyer, both of which are more expensive. I'm 95% certain I will be buying one ... eventually.

I think I need to buy the UCS ones before they get retired and the prices rocket though.

I think I need to buy the UCS ones before they get retired and the prices rocket though.
I have three of the smaller USC sets that are retired. Their prices have not shot anywhere yet. Maybe in about 10 years.

It does seem some people are making big money out of selling certain (discontinued?) Lego kits on eBay etc

Maybe an investment to buy this and not built or open it?

I have been working my way through the Speed Champions series, as well as some of the bigger cars, since the pandemic hit. I’ve just done the vivid yellow Supra to match my Rega Exact cartridge…

I have been working my way through the Speed Champions series …
Speed Champions are one of the better appreciating themes. I have all of the singles in MISB condition, except for the first three - which I could buy only as used sets. The six-stud wide original series are very collectable, and were cheap as chips when first released.

That is how it generally works, and buying the right sets too. Not all Lego sets appreciate in value. Some themes do a lot better than others.

I've sunk a fair bit of money into Lego the last 5-6 months as gamble on them appreciating in value when they're retired. The only way I cover myself on sets not going up in value is to buy the kits I wouldn't actually mind building and keeping. The money wasn't doing anything in the bank anyway!

Last edited:
Speed Champions are one of the better appreciating themes. I have all of the singles in MISB condition, except for the first three - which I could buy only as used sets. The six-stud wide original series are very collectable, and were cheap as chips when first released.
I have to build mine, I always have…

I've sunk a fair bit of money into the last 5-6 months as gamble on them appreciating in value when they're retired. The only way I cover myself on sets not going up in value is to buy the kits I wouldn't actually mind building and keeping. The money wasn't doing anything in the bank anyway!
Likewise, but over the last five or six years. With very few exceptions I buy and collect only the sets that I actually like to build. I have a handful of duplicates where the desire to build one is overwhelming. It's a struggle not to unbox the 1:8 scale Porsche 911 GT3, Bugatti Chiron and Lamboghini Sián and get them built. So I keep them out of sight, out of mind (and sunlight).

advertisement

Back