advertisement

Shunyata Venom USB should not be making this difference

You speak very authoritatively on the subject of science. You must have excellent credentials to do so. Care to share?

No, I really don't claim to speak authoritatively, and nothing in my post suggested otherwise, as of course you know, since you are just trolling for an argument. But when in doubt, an ad hominem argument is always a useful diversion!

You speak very authoritatively on the subject of science. You must have excellent credentials to do so. Care to share?

Whenever you post in a manner that attempts to undermine others, or reminds us of all of your credentials in certain fields of science,
it brings to mind a quote.

In this age of specialization men who thoroughly know one field are often incompetent to discuss another.

In case you don’t know, it was Feynman who said this.

It is my hope that you will at least consider the idea of contributing your knowledge and experience in a positive way, without continuously attempting to belittle, undermine and criticise others.

As always you will get people that have tried and found an improvement and others that didn't and that's fine, just do what you want.
But many variables as to why so many different results, from different systems to poorer hearing etc, but probably the main one is simply not having a good enough system to reveal the slight differences and this also goes with power supplies, cables, racks the list goes on and on

My systems are revealing enough and I now essentially focus on the music. I can hear the differences in acoustics and instruments, what the interprets intended and I just stopped fiddling with cables and other doubtful accessories.
But I can obviously still hear differences when I change an amp or a CD player, according to the day’s mood. Sometimes I feel like listening to ESL57’s and sometimes they just won’t do!
But wire looms are out of the equation. Until I die.

Based on the Shunyata website, the Venom USB does not appear to be available anymore:
https://shunyata.com/digital-cables/?pa_cable-type=usb

Thats really bad news.

I suspect its an element of greed involved (if its true and not just the supply chain being affected through Covid), being that the Venom was really that good, it caused people to end there rather than proceed up their upgrade path.

Still lots of Venoms available on various sites, I might invest in another couple before the supply dries up.

It's a shame they have done that if they have.

Thats really bad news.

I suspect its an element of greed involved (if its true and not just the supply chain being affected through Covid), being that the Venom was really that good, it caused people to end there rather than proceed up their upgrade path.

Still lots of Venoms available on various sites, I might invest in another couple before the supply dries up.

It's a shame they have done that if they have.
The real shame is in what they keep selling, of course. One audiophile usb cable less on the market is a cause for celebration.

The real shame is in what they keep selling, of course. One snake oil cable less on the market is a cause for celebration.

Hey if thats what it takes you to have a little boogie and a party, order yourself some dancing girls and Bavarias finest and knock yourself out! Photos please.

How many families do snake oil products vendors support in the world?

You tell us? Time for your research to begin you scientist you (thats never heard a Shunyata Venom)

We will await your research document and please include graphs, graphs are important.

Er… that was not at all ironical, that was a real question!
I am no scientist by the way, just a hi-fi nut (for 40 years) with some technical background.
As I said earlier, I gave up on cables long ago. But hi-fi still thrills me for sure!

Here is some science trying to explain it, it went 27 pages, think one of PFM members contributed so this thread has a lot of catching up to do :D

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/do-usb-audio-cables-make-a-difference.1887/
That was interesting and fun to read.

Way off topic: but my HiFi sounds better after I've cleaned everything and tidied stuff up in my room, (same applies to the car and motorbike). Wish I could produce scientific measurements to back it up... nevertheless I'm convinced the effect is real.

That was interesting and fun to read.

Way off topic: but my HiFi sounds better after I've cleaned everything and tidied stuff up in my room, (same applies to the car and motorbike). Wish I could produce scientific measurements to back it up... nevertheless I'm convinced the effect is real.

Did you actually read it? I thought I may just do an Measurebators play, and not read it/listen to it, and then comment on it anyway :)

Yes I did, cables can make a measureable difference...with several important caveats. The conclusion: just use competent cables nothing fancy helps.

The jury is still out. For me, that is. Still doing my best to listen objectively.

For those who (very reasonably) suggest I have a friend over who can switch the cables so my test is unsighted, frankly this is not as easy as I'd like it to be. It shouldn't be hard to do but it isn't very convenient. And frankly, my wife already thinks I've gone off the deep end, so asking her to help... Well, that'll be the last resort.

advertisement

Back