advertisement

Wilder v Fury

He didn't. He has it all in his locker and I have followed him since his days at Wythenshawe ABC - I lived 2 miles away.

Fury is sufficiently talented to be able to change styles as a fight demands - his ability to change mid-fight to south-paw has befuddled a few opponents on the way.

If he was badly affected by the punch to his ear it perhaps shows that AJ was in a similar circumstance albeit a punch to the temple. I suspect that Wilder will have at least one fight before taking on Fury again. It will be interesting to see if AJ keeps well clear of both for a while.

i've now watched this properly and it was horrible fight. IMO, this should have been stopped in the 5th round. yeah, i appreciate that fury had a tactic and it worked, but is that how you want to live your life dude? you could say rope-a-dope in zaire was cynical, but at least there was a noble beginning and a graceful ending. i also don't think invoking jesus (as fury did in post-fight declarations) in something like this does a lot for one's religious credibility.

now, as for the legendary punching power of wilder. i'd begin by pointing out that he has a tremendously athletic physique and agility. in a replay of his life, i could imagine him as a successful basketball player, NFL receiver or MBL outfielder. what he doesn't have very much of is natural boxing intelligence. it seems he's relied on the ability to quickly generate a very powerful punch, that's grounded in his exceptional physique.

he IS NOT the hardest hitter in boxing history or anywhere close. to have that honour, you have to be able to stun your opponent by simply moving your arm 20 to 40 cm from a static position, not getting your whole body into it. guys like joe frazier, earnie shavers and george foreman could do that. wilder can achieve similar end results, but it's a totally different process and far less reliable, especially when you face an opponent who is a smart boxer. the flip side is that wilder would obliterate fury in any other sport, with the possible exception of wrestling, especially if choke-holds are allowed.

all that said, i applaud both contestants. boxing is brutal and, i have to confess, unethical. a fan is no position to enjoy and then "judge" the participants.

...and who was the polish guy? Spilka?

yes, full torso swing. magnificent athleticism. that i understand and tried to describe.

i'll add that hard punches only count against opponents of stature. not a journeyman who blindly walks into a punch.

to be fair though, i was a little hyperbolic in my assessment. how else could i elicit a discussion in this era?

It’s already been a pretty good TV series, and only in the last month so available on catch-up.

Fury absolutely dominated, it should have been stopped in the 5th when Wilder started to drop his hands and not fight back...

It's such a great story to see Tyson Fury, a man previously on the brink of suicide, come back in such a convincing manner and become world champion again. Even he hadn't have popped Wilder's eardrum (what a knockdown!), he'd still have outboxed him, and wow, a lot more power from Fury this time, moving forwards, big thudding jabs, totally throwing Wilder off his game.

No excuses in the third fight, Fury dismantled Wilder before the late KO, both men were caught by decent punches and took a couple of counts tho TF didn’t seem too troubled… think Wilder was unconscious before he hit the canvas? Fury will probably go down as our best ever heavyweight boxer after his achievements

advertisement

Back