advertisement

Shunyata Venom USB should not be making this difference

naimnut

Deep in the Mines of Soul
Bits is bits.

Just 0s and 1s. Right? Where does all this extra, deeper bass come from? Where does all this more fully fleshed out tonality come from? This shouldn't be real.

And if this is the 'entry-level' Shunyata USB what must the higher-level ones sound like? Sheesh.

I'd heard that Shunyata stuff is good. I just hadn't heard any of it in my system.

Oh, and a word of advice to the cable skeptics. Don't ever test any different cables in your systems. It's just easier to maintain the belief that cables can't/don't/won't make a difference that way.

Ha! Good timing.

I recently changed my £50 usb cable to a £380 one lent to me by a friend, and blow me away, Better bass, better depth and amazingly I’m getting a sounds higher in the soundstage too.. I don’t understand this, I don’t get the ‘why’ and will be experimenting more..

I use Shunyata Venom digital cables, USB, Spif and Ethernet. Worlds away from what else you can get at their price point. Absolutely fantastic. Best bit is you can pick them up on various US sites for cheaps. They just sound 'right'. I have no interest in changing any of my digital cables now, before them I was always chopping and changing. This also happened when I discovered Cardas Golden Cross analogue and power cables. I havent changed them since, they are just perfect.

I'd like to try Venom speaker cables and IC's one day, Shunyata stuff really is that good. On par with Cardas as the Rolls Royce's of cabling.

Bits is bits.

Just 0s and 1s. Right?
Right.
Where does all this extra, deeper bass come from? Where does all this more fully fleshed out tonality come from? This shouldn't be real.
Rest assured. Those things are not real. They are products of your imagination. Happens to best of us.
Oh, and a word of advice to the cable skeptics. Don't ever test any different cables in your systems. It's just easier to maintain the belief that cables can't/don't/won't make a difference that way.
Most skeptics acknowledge the possibility they might experience these differences in sighted tests. That is only a start. Experiments like yours do not convince anyone.

Right.

Rest assured. Those things are not real. They are products of your imagination. Happens to best of us.

Most skeptics acknowledge the possibility they might experience these differences in sighted tests. That is only a start. Experiments like yours do not convince anyone.

If you're gonna troll, at least use the quote function correctly rather than making a complete mess of your post, lolz. 1/0 quite literally.

(Aw you came back to fix it, bless you, thank god for the edit function right?)

Shouldn't be too difficult to show the difference if you have the facility to record the outputs from your DAC using a digital recorder. Same track with different USB leads, played back from the same source? Also gives the chance of others to listen to the recordings. No experience of computer audio, but should be possible.

Bits is bits.

Just 0s and 1s. Right? Where does all this extra, deeper bass come from? Where does all this more fully fleshed out tonality come from? This shouldn't be real.

And if this is the 'entry-level' Shunyata USB what must the higher-level ones sound like? Sheesh.

I'd heard that Shunyata stuff is good. I just hadn't heard any of it in my system.

You are not alone in your thoughts.

https://www.moremusic.nl/reviews/shunyata/review-Venom-USB-Cable-audiostream.pdf

Shouldn't be too difficult to show the difference if you have the facility to record the outputs from your DAC using a digital recorder. Same track with different USB leads, played back from the same source? Also gives the chance of others to listen to the recordings. No experience of computer audio, but should be possible.
These files can also be digitally nulled with appropriate software.

I would be quite surprised if they didn't null to better than minus 100dB.

On the positive side Venom USB is not crazy-priced, though not cheap.

Last edited:
With all the current talk of culling the box count I’m wondering where the cable-boys will go. Inside the box rather than outside? Custom pcb tracks? Quantum connections where they play all music ever played at Linn Scotland and, if you have subscribed to their app it connects directly to your inner ear? Time for bed…

Right.

Rest assured. Those things are not real. They are products of your imagination...

Experiments like yours do not convince anyone.

1. How do you know what is a product of my imagination?

2. The experiment is ongoing. I will be doing my best to hear no difference. That would be my preference, as it would save me some money. But I will be striving to be objective. If the difference is as real as it seems on first listen then I want to A) confirm that it is an improvement, B) confirm that it makes listening more enjoyable, and C) satisfy myself that the $$ are best spent on a stupid cable that should not make a difference rather than, say, a nice dinner with the wife.

I had a similar experience recently. I have never really heard - more correctly, tried to hear - differences between USB cables, even though I own a few expensive ones, including Furutech and the Shunyata Venom. A couple of weeks ago I needed a slightly longer cable to my Nagra DAC, so swapped in the Shunyata Venom just because it was the right length. I had no expectations. The improvement in sound was immediate and quite noticeable - more depth, more body, more focus. I was pleasantly surprised, particularly as I already owned the cable.

Based on the Shunyata website, the Venom USB does not appear to be available anymore:
https://shunyata.com/digital-cables/?pa_cable-type=usb
Yes, the company decided to adopt "crazy to insane" pricing model.

"Insane" priced models also have "tumors" added - like MIT cables - inline networks to make the cable work "better."

It makes perfect sense - if you pay well north of $1K you get a bulbous cylinder on your cable. It's well known that cables that have inline "tumors" are the best.

You know, I too have experienced such mind-blowing cable improvements in the past.
But every time, the big and real improvements I experienced faded away after a short while.
Our mind is an odd thing that plays tricks on us.
Bits are bits and electrons are electrons. My teachers in electricity and electronics taught me that once. A few engineers told me so as well. I didn’t believe them because what I heard told me the opposite!
I’ve grown older and wiser, back to science.
What you hear is real but an illusion. Also, check your levels.

I have never experienced this "fading away after a short while". I have sometimes changed my view on whether something is an improvement or not, but an effect once heard has never "faded away" in my experience.

Perhaps you were experiencing confirmation bias from the belief that "bits are bits and electrons are electrons", and that this is somehow "science".

I have never experienced this "fading away after a short while". I have sometimes changed my view on whether something is an improvement or not, but an effect once heard has never "faded away" in my experience.

Perhaps you were experiencing confirmation bias from the belief that "bits are bits and electrons are electrons", and that this is somehow "science".
You speak very authoritatively on the subject of science. You must have excellent credentials to do so. Care to share?

advertisement

Back