advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yet again the victims!
The cult turn every single thing into an opportunity to light a candle don’t they?

The stable door of propriety has been left open by the Premier League for years and the Horse of Morality bolted some time ago. And the Premier League have merely been taking their cue from our elected Government.

"Downing Street and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport have maintained a deliberately hands-off approach, with officials insisting that it is a matter for the Premier League, and that since the UK trades with Saudi Arabia* it would be anomalous to ban the takeover of a football club."

It is being widely reported that the newly instituted Chinese State Investment Fund are in advanced talks to take over Liverpool/ Manchester United** FC. A spokesperson for the Fund said "We love red but the colour match with the Chinese flag has to be exact" It is thought that a shade change to team strips would not be a stumbling block.
The post-Covid collapse of the US economy and its impact on the Glazers/Fenway Sports Group** are behind the Clubs appearance on the market.
Liverpool/Manchester Utd** fans group said "The club belongs to the fans and will always have our love and support."

Downing Street and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport have maintained a deliberately hands-off approach, with officials...[rinse and repeat].

*substitute another heinous Country, group or individual where appropriate.
**delete or substitute where appropriate.

Spot on Weekender

The outcome of the Premier League not to have a proper ownership test, is the reason where we are now. We do have the most competitive and exciting football in the world, but at what cost?

The cartoonist in the Times has a design for the Newcastle shirt. :oops:

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F1a940c78-2861-11ec-9d7f-240ccd0a3a50.jpg

The cartoonist in the Times has a design for the Newcastle shirt. :oops:

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F1a940c78-2861-11ec-9d7f-240ccd0a3a50.jpg
The Times owned by R. Murdoch.
Also owns The Sun.
Newspapers that prop up and support the UK Tory Govt who are quite sanguine about arms deals with Saudi Arabia.
The Sun ran "that" story after Hillsborough.
Murdoch also owns Sky Sports.
Anyone here subscribe to Sky Sports?

The fans are just pawns in the game.

Of course, it isn't, and I haven't heard anyone claiming otherwise. What people have said is that fans are very keen to shout about human rights in football but will accept and say nothing about our nation selling weapons to those regimes and nor will they take any action, physically, against those regimes. In fact, all they are doing is using the human rights stick to attack a rival because of its owners and they actually have no intention of really taking on human rights issues because they, generally speaking, ignore them.

All you've contributed to this thread is whataboutery, deflection and the defence of a morally indefensible position because you know the club you support is in a similar position. I know if my club - which I've supported man and boy - got taken over by the Saudis or similar, that would be it for me. Because a silly game isn't more important.

All you've contributed to this thread is whataboutery, deflection and the defence of a morally indefensible position because you know the club you support is in a similar position. I know if my club - which I've supported man and boy - got taken over by the Saudis or similar, that would be it for me. Because a silly game isn't more important.
Cool.

Generally speaking, the press will not focus any real negative attention on United - it's not good for business.
I fully understand why you hate Utd but as a neutral in this respect I feel they are a very well run club which offers fans relatively low ticket prices. They have hung onto a core of traditional supporters also.

The Times owned by R. Murdoch.
Also owns The Sun.
Newspapers that prop up and support the UK Tory Govt who are quite sanguine about arms deals with Saudi Arabia.
The Sun ran "that" story after Hillsborough.
Murdoch also owns Sky Sports.
Anyone here subscribe to Sky Sports?

The fans are just pawns in the game.
Murdoch doesn’t own Sky.

The Times is, perhaps, showing some editorial license by printing such a cartoon?

Top flight football has been pretty corrupt for some time now but the current situation is that more corruption is Ok? Surely the idea is to reform rather than merely let it slide further?

They say I’m a dreamer…

I fully understand why you hate Utd but as a neutral in this respect I feel they are a very well run club which offers fans relatively low ticket prices. They have hung onto a core of traditional supporters also.

That is not against the club, it is the reality of the media attention they get.

I see he no longer does.
I stand corrected. Maybe I'll take out a subscription after all these years of boycott.
Timing seems right.
If you are really concerned about media control & moral corruption then aim your ire at Google & Facebook. The Times is a mere pimple. Currently 72% of all commercial media revenue goes online with Google & Facebook enjoying the lions share, what’s known as a duopoly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back