advertisement

CD transport - not slot loading!

Neil P

pfm Member
Hi, I'm after a cheapish CD transport to try with my Cambridge Audio dacmagic, plus a high end dac if I go down that route. I loath slot loading, so it would need to be top loading or draw loading ... any suggestions? I see the Cambridge CXC is still around for £399 but I was hoping to spend a bit less than that.

My plan is to compare:

Rega Saturn R
CD transport>Rega Saturn R's dac
CD transport>Cambridge dac
CD transport> high end dac

CD-only is nice and conveniently fast at loading. In my experience really good ones are not that cheap - CEC, Moon 260DT. People sing the praises of the Cambridge CXC which is great for the price. The CEC and Moon are greater still but at a price.

A decent DVD player will be less rapid on loading( it will take a little time to decide what you've fed it) but can be really cheap. My experience - my Cambridge DVD 540 is mechanically quiet and will read even the theoretically unreadably scratched CDs but, here in France, I can't give it away let alone sell it.
A word of warning - not all players are mechanically quiet - when I chose the DVD 540 and more recently the CXU (1st generation) I listened for mechanical noise before choosing.

FWIW I only keep the CXU because it can be used to rip hi-res from SACDs. I've stopped playing silver discs completely since I became comfortable with Roon.

I have a lovely CD transport I bought 17 years ago (47 Labs Shigaraki) that is very expensive nowadays, but it's a 5 minute job to change the laser mechanism when needed (I've changed it once so far, and have two spares). I wouldn't buy an expensive CD player or transport that I couldn't fix myself if need be.

neil , just got a 399 marantz 6007 in silver . feels very nice for the money . buttons solid and nicely made . super smooth drawer . just comparing it now to my sacd transport .

very nice piece of kit

I totally agree with sideshowbob.

I've owned Naim top CD players - CDS, CDS2, CDS3 - and I love their musical performance. While electronically there are usually few issues, I've had transport/laser problems with all 3. They are close to impossible to fix what with obsolete lasers/transports. I think I am done with expensive CD players unless some manufacturer can future proof my laser/transport.

BTW I am seriously considering the Sparkler CD player, coincidentally made by an ex engineer of 47 Labs.

All very good suggestions and I think the CXC would be the way forward. I'm going to wait until I can get a high end dac to demo, then acquire a CXC to compare alongside. I wil also compare the Rega into the DACs too. I couldn't justify the expense of using the Saturn as a transport,.but would be interesting to hear how it compares. I believe it buffers the CD data into memory to avoid jitter. Or something like that. I'm not technically minded!

Get in quick if you’re seriously considering going down this route. They’re superb transports for very sensible money.

It's probably going to be 6 months before by system is out of boxes into a decorated/carpeted room. I'll wait until then before doing anything too drastic

I just dont understand the attraction of slot loaders. Dont you get the cd all greasy by handling it? With a tray loader you can put your finger through the hole.

I just dont understand the attraction of slot loaders. Dont you get the cd all greasy by handling it? With a tray loader you can put your finger through the hole.

Not if you hold the disc by the edges, though I admit I'd personally prefer a tray or even better a top loader

Not if you hold the disc by the edges, though I admit I'd personally prefer a tray or even better a top loader
Some top loaders have their disadvantages too. The Rega ones never seem to have enough room 'underneath' to grasp the CD properly.
My favourite ever loading mech was the Meridian 500 series where the whole mech slid out like a drawer automatically and a CD was easily placed (and removed) on the central hub.
648983946_large_f1dd33a07b8cc72960388ee23e7528b4.jpg

Some top loaders have their disadvantages too. The Rega ones never seem to have enough room 'underneath' to grasp the CD properly.
The heavy puck on the CEC top-loaders can create havoc if inadvertently dropped on the spindle :-(

advertisement

Back