advertisement

Lawn mower , Strimmer , Hedge trimmer , Shredder

Thanks everyone for your advice , I think the battery range may be for me , One fits all , I don't mind paying extra for better quality and longer lasting , Anyone have this setup ?

I have a shredder you’re welcome to. A Bosch electric job.

If I were buying a hedge trimmer, strummer and leaf blower again I’d go for Stihl Electric.

Lawn mower depends on the lawn size. I have an old Honda HRX which is lovely and does stripes - do you want stripes?

Hello , Thanks for the kind offer but distanc for collecting is a issue as I am now in Boston Lincs

Last edited:
For a small lawn like that, get an electric rotary one with a cable and a plastic body. Dirt cheap, rock reliable, no problem starting in spring. Just plug it in and go.
Yep. Also light to push and carry; more powerful than a battery mower with no expensive battery to replace after a few years; and vastly quieter than a petrol mower. Buy one with a wide deck and a solid, sizeable catcher - not a collapsible fabric one that won't last.

TOP TIP - if you tuck the hedge trimmer cable through a belt loop in your pants and secure with a peg you won't chop the cable !!
(learnt the hard way :D)
An excellent tip. There's still the potential to cut the cable but with this method, thankfully your willy will get in the way first.

My old Honda sit-on mower keeps going, although it's getting a bit tricky to start. I service it myself nowadays, since the last blokes to do so made a right old pig's ear out of it. Good advice re. Husqvana & Stihl - I recently bought a battery-powered Stihl long-handled hedge trimmer to replace my petrol Kawasaki one. The latter was excellent, but it was bloody heavy and if you weren't careful the exhaust would burn holes in your expensive Paramo fleece. I've got an ancient Husqvana strimmer that miraculously starts first pull, and an excellent Bosch shredder that, although quite slow, is relentless in its ability to much up huge branches. Massive Buddleia ones, complete with all foliage and offshoots, disappear into its ravenous maul without it pausing. The chippings are handy for spreading over the soil as mulch, but best left in a pile for a few months before use.

I'd go electric, and battery powered. I went for Makita so I can share batteries between the Strimmer, Mower, Hedge Cutter etc as well as all my Drill, Impact Driver etc.

An excellent tip. There's still the potential to cut the cable but with this method, thankfully your willy will get in the way first.

My old Honda sit-on mower keeps going, although it's getting a bit tricky to start. I service it myself nowadays, since the last blokes to do so made a right old pig's ear out of it. Good advice re. Husqvana & Stihl - I recently bought a battery-powered Stihl long-handled hedge trimmer to replace my petrol Kawasaki one. The latter was excellent, but it was bloody heavy and if you weren't careful the exhaust would burn holes in your expensive Paramo fleece. I've got an ancient Husqvana strimmer that miraculously starts first pull, and an excellent Bosch shredder that, although quite slow, is relentless in its ability to much up huge branches. Massive Buddleia ones, complete with all foliage and offshoots, disappear into its ravenous maul without it pausing. The chippings are handy for spreading over the soil as mulch, but best left in a pile for a few months before use.

Do you know the model number of the shredder ?

Bosch Shredder works well - but works much much better if you leave the stuff for a day or two before shredding. It is the green fresh stuff that jams up the mech. I have a small Bosch bought from a friend - works great if you follow the rule. Even if the stuff is destined for the tip the volume reduction by shredding is startling!

The lawn you have is easily small enough for battery electric - and a 'system' is the way to go. I would try to choose a system that also has indoor tools (drills/drivers etc) in the range as well - just to get the best use out of batteries and chargers.

It's a matter of preference but a cheap end-of-season-sale push petrol mower here with B&S engine. A new blade, plug and oil every two years and an occasional hose down. I use fuel stabilizer at the end of the season and it's not drained over winter. I think I am on my third in 30+ years. All have lasted much longer than expected and have not so far failed to start easily in spring. But this is a matter of long-time preference and there's nothing wrong with another type.

150 sq. metres of lawn takes 20 minutes twice a week in the growing season so the clippings can normally be left to rot back in. If too untidy a quick session with a broom spreads out any lumps and they soon disappear preserving micro-nutrients. On the occasions where it needs to be really tidy I collect and cart the clippings off to the dump. Often that's also the first cut of the year but this year cutting started early enough.

I have a horizontal/vertical rechargeable Li-ion battery trimmer (Bosch) for the edges (with a blade not nylon line).

I use a normal lawn rake at times and a manual lawn scarifier head (Wolf) once a year, around early September. It's very hard work but it's exercise. This removes thatch and reveals any bad patches which get over-seeded in early September and are back into shape by the start of October.

Long-term spring/autumn fertilizer (from Lawnsmith) three times a year with more Nitrogen than stuff from the local DIY sheds but not too much to cause excessive leaf growth. Lawn weed killer once or twice a year (depends on which type) and a spray of the opposite type for any recalcitrant single weeds. I had to use SBK brushwood killer several times a year for the first two years with this lawn to spot-kill bramble shoots.

I rescued a poorly maintained lawn into something that's definitely not show class but is reasonably respectable.

OK thanks , can anyone recommend where to buy these ?

Almost anywhere, Amazon, Screwfix, FFX etc. Just make sure you stick to the 18V LXT system and you will be fine. There are lots of versions, most models get updated each year which means it can be a little confusing making a choice bt it does mean you can get a good deal on 'last years model'.

I'd recommend the 5.0Ah/6.0Ah for heavy use items such as a strimmer or mower and then the smaller 2.0Ah batteries for anything handheld as they are a good bit lighter. With the Makita chargers, they charge from flat in under an hour, so even on a busy weekend, I've never had an issue.

It's down the shed, but anyway, looking at the latest Bosch shredder offerings, it's nothing like any of the three.
Well, whatever you do, don't buy one of these. It's complete shite. Normally Bosch are good but it's failed on pretty much every task I've given it. It jammed when it got to my ex-wife's dentures.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Now I have a garden that is not printed concrete I am looking for recommendation on
all the above please, :)

Looking at the pictures of your garden I would buy for your first few years:

1. A hovermower -- cheapest.
2. The cheapest cordless hedge cutter you can find which you can use to reach the top of your hedges. See how it goes.
3. No shredder for the first year, you may well find you don't need one.

Battery operated Stihl lawnmower and trimmer are the best in terms of performance, reliability and less polluants for both the sound and air. And their batteries last forever.

advertisement

Back