advertisement

Linn Ekstatik & new Radikal

It seems to me that by trying to run both a high quality digital source and turntable only half the available cash is spent on either. Now that almost everything is available on vinyl again it's genuinely possible to pick one or the other and build a far better system than by splitting the resources, whether you go for digital or vinyl.

When I took the decision to stick with vinyl in the early 1990's I didn't expect turntables to improve, or even be available new by 2021. I really appreciate the development that Linn and others are doing even if I can't afford all of it just yet.
Depends upon whether you are willing to wait 6 months for new releases & have deep pockets. But, yes, I think it’s great that Linn still support vinyl replay.

would be interested in the motor as i do not use a urika phono stage.

Doubt it will be backwards compatible with my radikal 1 - or separately available though

I have spells where I enjoy digital for its clean pop and crackle free presentation. It’s only by comparison that it’s a let down.

I can totally agree with this post. My N100 into my Bryston BDA-2 sounds far better than any CD player I’ve owned and can play it for weeks without being concerned by it being digital but only when playing an Lp on the LP12 I notice flaws in digital.

Both are good.

I can totally agree with this post. My N100 into my Bryston BDA-2 sounds far better than any CD player I’ve owned and can play it for weeks without being concerned by it being digital but only when playing an Lp on the LP12 I notice flaws in digital.

Both are good.

Over the years I've had many 'good' digital sources, the best was a toss-up between NAIM NDS/555 and Linn Katalyst DSM (both excellent in different ways) and I've always wanted to be able to wholeheartedly say that I no longer needed an analogue source. On a rational level I was telling myself that these digital sources were good enough that I could get rid of the LP12 and I did actually sell my full-fat Stiletto LP12 Klimax SE. But then within a few months a new (at least to me) LP12 arrived and I gradually started upgrading and now I'm back where I started. Almost all of my 'proper' listening is via the LP12 and digital is mostly relegated to 'convenience' music.

Experience has taught me that I'm never properly relaxed with digital, don't get me wrong it can be immensely enjoyable but there's just 'something' that's not quite there. Despite all the faffing (or maybe in some way because of it?) that goes with vinyl playback it's still my preference.

advertisement

Back