advertisement

Audiolab 8200cdq digital preamp distortion..?

Rug Doc

pfm Member
This preamp has a selectable digital or analogue preamp section.

The digital preamp has started distorting - switch to analogue and it’s fine - switch back to digital and it distorts..?

a known problem on these does anyone know??

When John Westlake was posting here, and developing what became the audiolab range, I seen to remember him explaining an issue with some capacitors that got specified, even from new. A lot of early MDACs had to get replacements, and a few were tweaked in the process I think.

What I don't understand is why this only affects your analogue input, as I thought the issue was around the DAC itself rather than the input. So perhaps it is something different.

@sq225917 Do you have any ideas? I can only really think you of you and Steven that night remember.

I have doubts about the longevity of the design due to physical layout. I have said this many times here , front left, there is a large bank of main capacitors in between which there are heat sinks barely 1mm away, the result is the nearby capacitors get too hot to touch. I have the top off permanently and have a small pc fan blowing over them; There is limited ventilation top and bottom with the top on.

When John Westlake was posting here, and developing what became the audiolab range, I seen to remember him explaining an issue with some capacitors that got specified, even from new. A lot of early MDACs had to get replacements, and a few were tweaked in the process I think.

What I don't understand is why this only affects your analogue input, as I thought the issue was around the DAC itself rather than the input. So perhaps it is something different.

@sq225917 Do you have any ideas? I can only really think you of you and Steven that night remember.

it’s not just the analogue input, it’s the USB too - you can select whether to use two different preamp circuits internally - the digital one, or the analogue one - it’s still using the internal DAC. So what we were hearing wasn’t the DAC distorting, rather the digital pre-amp..

advertisement

Back