advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oaks Studios collection of shorts on Netflix-highly recommended.

Not bad but it’s a collection of stuff that’s been on YouTube for a while. Neill Blomkamp still can’t top District 9.

Squid Game is pretty good. Not sure about the VIPs.

I found Squid Game interesting and infuriating in equal measure. Although the general idea - childhood games, played out in an absurd, menacing & violent context, with multiple psychological and/or political interpretations – is hardly original, it started very well, and quickly became absorbing. I think it lost its way in the last few episodes, with a sub-plot that led nowhere, and the portrayal of the VIPs being less than successful. More importantly, key elements were left unexplained, in particular the way in which the game affected both the relationship between the two brothers, and ultimately the relationship between Gi-hun and his daughter, linked to Player 001. (Hopefully that’s obscure enough not to give away any spoilers!). Perhaps that is to allow a second series to be commissioned.

I found Squid Game interesting and infuriating in equal measure. Although the general idea - childhood games, played out in an absurd, menacing & violent context, with multiple psychological and/or political interpretations – is hardly original, it started very well, and quickly became absorbing. I think it lost its way in the last few episodes, with a sub-plot that led nowhere, and the portrayal of the VIPs being less than successful. More importantly, key elements were left unexplained, in particular the way in which the game affected both the relationship between the two brothers, and ultimately the relationship between Gi-hun and his daughter, linked to Player 001. (Hopefully that’s obscure enough not to give away any spoilers!). Perhaps that is to allow a second series to be commissioned.

If the success of this season is anything to go by, a 2nd season will no doubt make its way onto our screens soon enough!

I just watched ‘Free Guy’ which was fun and a welcome change of tone to Squid Game.

An excellent synopsis and exactly how I found it.

Shell on Amazon Prime really enjoyed this slow paced film set in a small very isolated petrol station ( not Shell ) in the Scottish Highlands where a father and daughter brave the isolation together. Great acting all round with Chloe Pirrie from queens gambit as shell. If you fancy a change of pace this may be just the thing.

We’ve just finished Mindhunter on Netflix, a series based on the work of the FBI’s Behavioural Science Unit - they pioneered interviewing serial killers. Grim, violent, fascinating, involving, disturbing. Worth watching for sure, especially the second series, but definitely not a feel good series!

We’ve just finished Mindhunter on Netflix, a series based on the work of the FBI’s Behavioural Science Unit - they pioneered interviewing serial killers. Grim, violent, fascinating, involving, disturbing. Worth watching for sure, especially the second series, but definitely not a feel good series!

One of the best things on Netflix IMHO tentative signs that season 3 may be going ahead i think following possibly Dennis Rader the BTK killer amongst others. Great series well acted.

One of the best things on Netflix IMHO tentative signs that season 3 may be going ahead i think following possibly Dennis Rader the BTK killer amongst others. Great series well acted.
The plan was for 5 series but Fincher said last October that was unlikely nor was series 3 coming as all the actors had been released, hopefully he’s been persuaded to go for it, one of the best series on streaming platforms, the actors playing the serial killers really nail it.

The plan was for 5 series but Fincher said last October that was unlikely nor was series 3 coming as all the actors had been released, hopefully he’s been persuaded to go for it, one of the best series on streaming platforms, the actors playing the serial killers really nail it.

In the absence of a series 3, try watching this video. It is an interview with the real Ed Kemper. Beyond extraordinary. (It’s a long piece, jump about it at random if you don’t fancy the whole thing).

The Guilty with Jake Gillenhall, on Netflix, probably one of the most intense hour and twenty minutes I've watched recently, excellent, 10/10
Will watch that later once I finish Black Spot.

Wonder if there’s a Sex Ed 4 coming, love how it’s mashed together a vibe with Breakfast Club/UK Schooling/80’s/Modern Era Tech/Old Cars so you’re not really sure exactly where or when it’s set.

We just finished watching Midnight Mass. Well worth watching, although I would have preferred it if they'd have made it bit more scary. A few jump scares would have helped too.

OK, I'm three episodes in and I'm really enjoying The Squid Game. The second episode is a curveball, and the game in the third episode is genius. There's something disconcerting about seeing childhood games (in South Korea) twisted to such macabre and deadly effect. There's also quite a lot of dark humour (and slapstick). The purpose of the games, and who is behind them, is enigmatic so far and I hope they don't succumb to the temptation to explain too much. I like the fact that a lot is open to interpretation right now (absurdist parable? critique of capitalism? etc.). Great fun if you like quirky, dark and horrible things.
Yes, liked The Squid Game a lot.

Though not sure that I should’ve found it quite as hilarious as I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back