advertisement

Ginormous box sets

Blimey. I've long been tempted by the 36 cd box of Dylan's 1966 tour - every note of every performance - despite the set list being almost identical every night, but I doubt I would ever listen to a box bigger than that.

10-F5-B359-D17-E-4873-BB40-87-F08-F4890-D4.jpg

Link for Jeff and Tony

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I bought Donna Summer's Encore box set last year and still haven't listened to all of it. It appeals to the completist in me though :D

I just don't 'get' these huge box sets that are coming from all sorts. I was gifted a small box set of Genesis CD's a while back - frankly I have not listened to the whole thing. Endless 'versions' or repeats of concerts just do not hold any interest for me.

I struggle with large box sets - multiple takes, and variable quality of archive material, mean you have to take notes about what is worth revisiting. Currently navigating through a Julius Hemphill 7CD set which has nothing like the intensity of his best output, but is interesting enough to listen to to get a feel for New York loft jazz in the late 70s and 80s.

Agreed, big box sets tend to offer quantity as opposed to quality, but there have been a number of exceptions along the way depending on the price of admission.

This In Search Of Hades box set by Tangerine Dream has a lot of great content and although it's now incredibly expensive, it represented very good value for money at list price, and even better when it could be had on sale.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Blimey. I've long been tempted by the 36 cd box of Dylan's 1966 tour - every note of every performance - despite the set list being almost identical every night, but I doubt I would ever listen to a box bigger than that.

The Live 1966 box is a good one, I think, despite the apparent repitition. The Dylan 'Complete Album Collection vol. One' is bigger still at 47 CDs but was a great purchase when I got it, even though I had a fair few of the albums within it already. I've enjoyed exploring albums I didn't have and have passed on duplicates to friends who didn't have them. Both sets get regular play, as does the Miles Davis 'Complete Columbia Album Collection', which I think at 70 CDs is the largest number of discs in one box that I have by one artist.

Managed after many years to snag the Miles Davis Complete Columbia box set…there is loads to explore in there I hadn’t heard so it will keep me going for quite a while

That Dylan 66 set does speak to my inner BobCat

I bought this substantial Miles Davis Complete Columbia Albums box way back in 2009 and it remains my best music purchase to date. All killer, no filler! Good to see it back on sale again and an absolute bargain at £160. Just buy it!

I bought this 20 album CD box set back in 2016 - probably at your recommendation - and it's great. Dunno if I'm ready to get that deep into Miles but either way, for anyone who is that deep into Miles, it looks like a great box set!

Yes, that one is a very nice subset of the Complete box, though does obviously miss a lot. Miles was a genius IMO, the stuff that got flung on the cutting room floor until the various complete album boxes (e.g. On The Corner) is better than most artists achieve in a whole lifetime. I’ve come to the conclusion there is no such thing as ‘too much Miles’.

50225302992_0c32fceb4e_4k.jpg

If they stick out more I’ll be buying more!

advertisement

Back