advertisement

Faroe Islands dolphin slaughter - petition

Signed - it's absolutely barbaric. As is the Canadian seal hunt.
However I don't think it's any less barbaric than the factory farming in the US.
We must all eat less meat, and avoid factory farmed meat.

Thank you Sean.

FWIW I'm generally against eating animals and choose not to - but do recognise that abattoirs do at least try to minimise suffering. Something that I don't think is possible in this situation.

This senseless slaughter is one of the thing that made me go vegetarian and then vegan.
Helps in some small way in my addled brain

Like the poetry too
:)

I had an email this morning with the government response:

Government responded:

The UK strongly opposes the hunting of cetaceans and is committed to upholding high animal welfare standards in its trade relationships. We continue to urge the Faroe Islands to stop cetacean hunts.

The UK plays a leading role in championing the conservation and welfare of all cetaceans (whales, dolphins and porpoises) and is an active member of the International Whaling Commission (IWC). We strongly believe that the hunting of cetaceans is unacceptably cruel, and that responsible tourism is the only truly sustainable interaction with these animals.

Lord Goldsmith has written to Jacob Vestergaard, the Faroese Minister for Fisheries, to express the UK’s opposition to the killing of cetaceans in the Faroe Islands, with particular reference to the hunt of 1,428 Atlantic white-sided dolphins that took place on the 12th September. UK officials have also raised concerns through diplomatic channels including through the IWC.

The UK welcomes the Faroese Prime Minister’s announcement that his government will start an evaluation of regulations on the catching of Atlantic white-sided dolphins and review closely the part these hunts play in Faroese society. UK Ministers will continue to engage with the Faroese Government throughout this evaluation process.

By having strong diplomatic and economic relationships with partners, we are able to have open discussions on a range of issues. The UK will continue advocating at every appropriate opportunity, included those provided by our Trade Agreement, for the end of cetacean hunts in the Faroe Islands.

Department for International Trade

Click this link to view the response online:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/597171?reveal_response=yes

The Petitions Committee will take a look at this petition and its response. They can press the government for action and gather evidence. If this petition reaches 100,000 signatures, the Committee will consider it for a debate.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: https://petition.parliament.uk/help#petitions-committee

So far there are 49,561 signatures.

advertisement

Back