advertisement

Import Duty from USA or Europe (looking to buy MiniDSP 2x4HD)

gustavm

pfm Member
In the wonderful post-Brexit World, does anyone know how much duty I'm likely to have to pay on an item worth roughly £200 imported from Europe? (Or from the USA as well). I'm wondering whether to order directly from MiniDSP (USA) or from a European company (Sound Imports).

NB There is a UK Company (Kalibrate AV) but their price doesn't include the software module, which must be purchased separately.

It is more than about time that this was pinned as an answer.

If you import from Eire, Germany, Finland, Zimbabwe, New Guinea or New Zealand, indeed anywhere in the world outside the UK, YOU PAY EXACTLY THE SAME ON IMPORT INTO THE UK.

UK VAT and UK duty and a flat admin' charge. VAT and duty is charged on the total cost - the item plus carriage. Duty is peanuts compared to VAT. Admin' charges vary a bit but are around £10.

If you buyfrom a dealer, you may hit problems - all covered here almost innumerable times before. Importing from a private individual is far less hassle. In short, items from traders should be taxed at UK rates before shipping.

It is more than about time that this was pinned as an answer.
You’re right, why don’t people search for themselves, the answer is out there and it’s simple, I’m glad you reply cos I’d be fed up doing it by now :D

You’re right, why don’t people search for themselves, the answer is out there and it’s simple, I’m glad you reply cos I’d be fed up doing it by now :D
Not too busy to come up with an unfriendly answer though ;-)

In the wonderful post-Brexit World, does anyone know how much duty I'm likely to have to pay on an item worth roughly £200 imported from Europe? (Or from the USA as well). I'm wondering whether to order directly from MiniDSP (USA) or from a European company (Sound Imports).

NB There is a UK Company (Kalibrate AV) but their price doesn't include the software module, which must be purchased separately.
Surely minidsp are based in Hong Kong? I bought my SHD direct from them and that’s where it came from. I think VAT, duty and delivery added about 25% to the net price quoted on their website.

If anyone interested:

I paid ~ 214 EU for minidsp 2 x4HD including plugin coupon & a remote, so ~ £182 plus whatever commission on my credit card.
The carrier sent me a separate invoice for VAT + Customs fee (£5) of £42-80.

Hopefully that is the only extra charge, in which case considerably cheaper than Amazon even without the remote controller, which when I looked yesterday, didn't have an option for the remote. (Available separately at exorbitant price.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I4NWRNM/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I paid ~ 214 EU for minidsp 2 x4HD including plugin coupon & a remote, so ~ £182 plus whatever commission on my credit card.
The carrier sent me a separate invoice for VAT + Customs fee (£5) of £42-80.

Lucky that the carrier collected VAT. There is no duty in that charge, just VAT plus their charge, which is good (low) at £5 - with luck you will escape duty (only a couple of % anyway).
Cards very seldom charge commision these days - the great majority pitch the exchange rate that they use to allow a margin for themselves, unless you paid in £, in which case there is no comission or other charge to you anyway.

during the Brexit referendum campaign I don't recall anyone mentioning the impact on esoteric HiFi components!

........or any of the other innumerable PITA effects........................................ so far as I recall

advertisement

Back