advertisement

Royd Minstrel revelation

I had a set a year or so ago and enjoyed them immensely on the end of my CDS3 with Nait1 and Nait5. Very engaging, great fun and surprisingly lifelike. In the end, i still preferred my Shahinian Compass by a fair margin, but considering what the Minstrel sells for, an absolute steal.

I have a pair of Royd Merlins which are just a standmount version of the Minstrels but for me sound a lot beeter than the floor standers.
Currently then are being driven by a JVC AX1010 but they really gel with a Nait2. Its like they were made for each other.

^^^This^^^

There are some Abbots being virtually given away in the Classifieds at the moment. Genuinely astonished these haven’t been snapped up. My willpower being sorely tempted but I really don’t need another pair!
Mine too, but I’m in Crete right now though. Seller is called Daisy too, my Daughter’s name, maybe it’s a sign!

Loved Minstrels with a Nait2, I wonder what they used in Royd as amps at the time they were designed? Anybody know?

I helped a girlfriend choose some Minstrels in the early nineties. Fairly sure they were from Richer Sounds. They sounded very pleasant up to a point, we found dub and volume didn't suit the speakers and soon found limitations. Low to mid volume though, very sweet. Look stylish as well. Bass was still good for the diminutive size.

I spent a lot of time running Royd Minstrels, Sapphire MK1, Sorcerer SE and RR3s together. Loved them all. The Minstrels and Sapphires are much easier to drive, and raucous fun. I especially enjoyed listening to Minstrels sat in the floor. They just make music and disappear. Unrefined, but addictive. Ultimately I prefer the added refinement and weighty, lusher sound of the Sorcerer SE and RR3, I think at the time the NAP250 was the minimum recommended amp to get the most out of the RR3, the SE having the same drivers albeit more heavily doped, also loves power. Am currently using them with an ancient Exposure IV. :)
Can exposure vii, viii combine with royd rr3? I'm looking royd rr3

How much royd rr3 cost? Does my amp enough power combine with rr3? Speaker has sensitivity 83db
I think they were originally about 2500 quid, but of course used models would be much cheaper than that (especially given that version of Royd Audio has been gone for a very long time).

The RR3 works very well with lower powered amps, and have traditionally paired well with Exposure.

I should stress that the RR3 sounds spectacular at lower volumes, but is definitely not well suited for really loud playback. My wife once blew a set of tweeters, because she wanted it louder all the way over in the kitchen. Fortunately it's the woofers that are made of unobtanium, whereas the tweeters are readily available and quite cheap. I bought 3 replacement pairs, just in case. ;)

As far as I recall, the RR range were very limited numbers and short lived made, before Royd closed down.
I've seen some RR1 & RR2 for sale during last decade but never RR3.

Someone on here said they lost some of the magic that the original had.

I had a pair of Sorcerers (SE) and they were as dull as dishwater but I don't know if they were faulty.

THe minstrel SE's were bonkers good. They were so refined for their price and size. I could happily live with them as my only speaker, provided they were in a fairly mid or small sized room.

As far as I recall, the RR range were very limited numbers and short lived made, before Royd closed down.
I've seen some RR1 & RR2 for sale during last decade but never RR3.
Yup, they're pretty rare, but you do see them appear occasionally.

advertisement

Back