advertisement

What Hifi Awards 2021

I still think Pink Fish should have a review thread. Though subjective, I’d trust it more than most. I really value the sensible insight of folks on here.

What HiFi is quite a lousy magazine. Just look at their NAD C 375BEE review... I'm sure the lack of dynamics had nothing to do with the horribly over-compressed recording they chose...

5 stars quickly reduced to four. Reviews that really don’t represent the product too well.

From what I have read in WhatHifi, stars are reduced when another product in the same price category comes out which is 'better' or has more function/abilities, thus reducing the value of the first product, therefore it loses a star. Makes sense.

From what I have read in WhatHifi, stars are reduced when another product in the same price category comes out which is 'better' or has more function/abilities, thus reducing the value of the first product, therefore it loses a star. Makes sense.
But very often they aren’t better. Make of that what you will.

Got an example?
Hey. It’s a mag that accompanied me through my student days right through to my early 30s. It’s a lovely mag for browsing and seeing the latest trends but it does appear to focus on certain products. When I was younger, it was Cyrus. Nice stuff but it was promoted relentlessly. Marantz seems to be the thing now. The thing is, I used to own the 63 se, really pushed by WHF. It’s competitor was the Rotel 965BX. Never got on with the 63, despite its copper wielding beauty. I buy the Rotel years later. Wish I’d bought it instead of the Marantz. Sorry, but I think the reviews are really inconsistent and commercially driven. Often poorly written. As a flick through its great. It’s a poor cousin to Hifi news and even Stereophile, who did promote Musical Fidelity for a long while. If I can be arsed I will give examples, but they are there.Thats why I don’t read them now.

Got an example?
There’s no offence meant here. I just think equipment deserves more than a rudimentary listen and a few stars. I’m staggered by the ability of some modestly priced gear. Just been on a splurge. Bought a Rotel phono stage, a Creek tuner, Rega headphone amp and AKG headphones, all for a staggering £180. Nostalgia! Bring it back and bring it on! It’s completely revitalised my listening.

Raving about what we currently have and wanting everyone to buy it (i.e. agree with us)
Until we sell it and move on to the next great best ever thing

Spot-on. We all do it. New toy frenzy. The commonest mistake is 'Different = Better', the rest is unbridled solipsism...

For a lot of us, the hobby is not 'hifi' or 'music', it's relentless change - upgrades, sidegrades, even downgrades... I do it myself. And I enjoy it.

I don’t. haven’t done that for years.I’m so happy what I have that I don’t want anybody else to know the secret.

5 stars quickly reduced to four. Reviews that really don’t represent the product too well.
I think that only happens with dacs etc where the market is fast moving and new things come along every few months. Dont you think its good that they can be bothered to revisit reviews to keep them relevant ?

I enjoy leafing through any hifi mag but take their reviews with a pinch of salt.
Fair enough - tastes vary.

I think that only happens with dacs etc where the market is fast moving and new things come along every few months. Dont you think its good that they can be bothered to revisit reviews to keep them relevant ?

Fair enough - tastes vary.
I’m not a hater. It’s just that WHF lacks substance and there’s that niggling doubt that they are focussing on good hifi. I love it to flick through and see what’s out there but aim afraid that’s as far as it goes.

I’m not a hater. It’s just that WHF lacks substance and there’s that niggling doubt that they are focussing on good hifi. I love it to flick through and see what’s out there but aim afraid that’s as far as it goes.
You have your own way of enjoying the hobby Del. Its not my way..... but you have every right to 'do you' as the young people say. You will admit however that I was right about REL subwoofers and magneplanars working well together

Sorry.. but you were so right about the subs and I thank you for that because you opened up a whole new and amazingly satisfying experience for me. For that, I owe you one.

Nothing against WTF. It got me into hifi many years ago and hopefully it continues to bring new people to the hobby. I find it’s a totally undemanding browse and flick through which isn’t to be taken too seriously. If you want a more discerning read then there are alternatives.

I think it does a good job for people starting to get into Hi Fi pointing them to a good starting point .
Usually most things they recommend are good if not always top of the tree

With a post like this, you are obviously gonna get criticism and praise for the awards.

I personally like whf. If I'm not wrong, they review products as a group and comparing it with their reference equipment. I find this to be better than how Stereophile and blue moon review their products.

Nonetheless, I think their writing let them down. If they put in so much effort to review their products, I don't know why are their writing about it so short sometimes. Perhaps their review process is a farce.

They have also gotten too big for their own good I guess. Hifi market is now too small for them and their focus on consumer electronics like TV and iPhone is pretty turn off.

Thanks for all your comments -

when i was a hifi newbie, i saw WHF as "gospel" so their 5* products were the best.
I have a friend who has his own hifi blog, and his cynicism towrds WHF and their rating system was reflected in some of the comments i made, so i wanted to bounce the ideas around to get different view points. Obviously , i have not listened to or tested anything near the amount of stuff they write about - but it is good to hear from people who have and agree with their ratings. It is also good to check reviews before buing anything - soemtimes they catch the flaws in a new unit or speakers, and by seeing it in a review, one can avoid that too.

advertisement

Back