advertisement

Day 2 PCR Home Test - which one?

Ponty

pfm Member
Need to book a day 2 PCR home test. Hundreds of providers come up on the govt website. Any recommendations for good providers at a sensible price? Thanks.

I used expert-medicals.co.uk a couple of weeks ago. Sent off the test but never got notification of the result.
UK customs were not checking passenger locator forms either, just signs promising spot checks and a large fine for any non compliance.
What was more important was the negative PCR test required to get on the UK bound plane, this WAS checked!

I suspect some are fraudulent. I had a very bad experience with RT diagnostics which caused me to write to my local MP (to no discernible effect!)

The one I mentioned took payment but provided no test results. The HMRC website has a long list but this comes with no assurance (or at least it didn't when I last looked in June) and they appear to be uninterested in any problems.

Thanks all. A friend suggested Randox but as there is no local drop off point, I’d have to pay to courier to Belfast. Might give Chronomics a try.

It's all a con. Just go cheapest.
Sadly, this is true. The whole scam is outrageous. If I were in your position and had the balls to do it I’d book an on site test for 99p or whatever in Stornoway (the cheap ones all seem to be curiously inaccessible) just to get a number for your PLF and then simply not turn up for it but swear that you did if anyone asks (in itself unlikely IMO.)

I'm very glad I just went last Thursday to the official testing centre run by the government. Fast, easy and every step done by professionals. I waited 10 days for an antigen test kit and the huge instruction basically could have been reduced to:
You might have Covid, but then again you might not. This kit can't determine for sure
Then there was a couple of PCR kits on offer through pharmacies where they then overcharge you even though you do half the work yourself. Going to the test centre took me 20 minutes, cost me nothing and the result is considered accurate.

I used a confirm testing home test for my Day 2 test. It was a bit of a headache to actually get the test. Would have been a lot smoother if there was someone able to accept delivery of the test on the first day. Otherwise a good experience.

I’m watching this with interest as we’re due to drive back from France late next week (both fully vaccinated).
On a previous thread I’d noted a link to travel19 but, on reviewing their service, all the feedback amounts to ‘Scam, they harvest all your details then announce the £20 tests have sold out, just £80 tests available’.
These sites might point towards a more reliable service:
https://www.covid19-testing.org/travel-testing
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/1...ount-randox-express-test-c19-expert-medicals/
Agree with comments so far that priorities are:
Getting the reference number for the embarkation docs.
Kerfuffle-free so home delivery then post preferable.
Cheapness.

Ordered the Chronomics day 2 PCR kit (thanks @robs). Obtaining the passenger locator form ref number for return to the UK seems the important thing. I’m really not looking forward to going through an airport or getting on a plane at all.

I used a confirm testing home test for my Day 2 test. It was a bit of a headache to actually get the test. Would have been a lot smoother if there was someone able to accept delivery of the test on the first day. Otherwise a good experience.
I used Confirm Testing on site at Heathrow way back in the heady days when we had day 2, day 8 tests and quarantine in between (ah, the memories - we were all so young...) The nurses were lovely and I got a bargain basement price (two PCR tests for £15 total) - so I’d say on site is the way to go if poss. I realise the OP specifically asked about home tests though. CT are a straight operation (results emailed through by the following morning) but a large number listed on gov.uk are visibly dodgy.

Riding le Shuttle from Coquelles back to Blighty after warming our bones for six weeks in SW France, where the weather’s finally turning cooler. This being 24 Oct we bought, on 22 Oct, Testing for All’s lateral flow tests at £19 each. I completed our passenger locator forms on the iPad in a hotel room, screenshot page 1 and uploaded that to Eurotunnel. Despite the PL form being a four page document, the pic. of page 1 passed Eurotunnel’s verification test.
At the terminal, the French are still using the touch screens (suspended at Folkestone when we came out so real people to speak to). The Douanier asked to look in the boot, which was just a glance to ensure we had luggage and not people, presumably. Passports checked by French and UK staff but none of the documents “you will be required to bring to the terminal” nor COVID passes were even mentioned.
Half way across now.

We used Randox, as recommended by our daughter. Very impressed by their service; dropped off the test kits yesterday pm, results emailed to us late this morning.

advertisement

Back