advertisement

Social media crash

Hope autonomous EV's can't get hacked as easily as Facebook...a million hacked cars could sure cause carnage.

ray-ban-facebook-glasses.jpg

Wondered why my signal app went from no messages to 300 in an hour. Jesus Wept - will people just be happy to sit and ‘be’ rather than having to say so freaking much! I hate it all.

It's no bad thing really, that one of the Engines Of CHAOS has been taken out, at least for a while...

BBC News said:
Some people also reported problems using Facebook's virtual reality headset platform, Oculus.
And apps which require Facebook logins were affected, including Pokémon Go.
All the important stuff then. I've never used Facebook beyond a few weeks and never understood its popularity. If the world is still intact after this it should probably be dispensed with for good.

Social media is the primary cause of the collapse of the fabric of society. I've been saying that for well over 10 years now. It ruins children's lives, causes untold stress and family tensions, allows the spread of hate and ignorance and encourages stupid people to be even more stupid. I concede that there are some benefits, but these are inconsequential in comparison to the enormous harm done.

Social media is the primary cause of the collapse of the fabric of society. I've been saying that for well over 10 years now. It ruins children's lives, causes untold stress and family tensions, allows the spread of hate and ignorance and encourages stupid people to be even more stupid. I concede that there are some benefits, but these are inconsequential in comparison to the enormous harm done.

Yes.

I'm sure it's fine for most people, but if you have mental health issues it can ruin your life.

family tensions
I guess this is down to how you use the networks. Most of us are fiftysomethings or older, in our lives we have all learned by now how beneficial it can be to just shut up when the situation requires it. This applies to social media too.

The Whatsapp group we have created for us five siblings + partners has saved us a lot of trouble when organizing all sorts of things around the death of our parents (house, nursing home, inheritance, etc.), it really was a blessing. Everyone got the same information at the same time, questions that arose were answered immediately. Some phone calls were made behind our backs of course, but to little negative effect in the end. Without whatsapp, phone calls of all sorts would have been endless for years, kind of like our parents had to do back then. Not everything was good in the 'good old days'.

Hope autonomous EV's can't get hacked as easily as Facebook
It wasn't hacked.

Social media is the primary cause of the collapse of the fabric of society.

Wouldn't go as far as 'primary' but otherwise I empathise with you as long as you don't include pfm! I don't even have a smartphone so all these time-consuming and largely irrelevant interchanges on F.B. etc. by my daughters et al seem utterly pointless and in some cases amongst the young and vulnerable, negative. However, what do I know? There HAS to be some positive aspects to users. Worries me that all our lives now depend upon digital records rather than pen and paper which I still use for my own records; vast improvement on chisel and stone or even papyrus !

Fascinating outage and has to be a lesson to large corporations not to put all their eggs in one basket when it comes to routing, DNS etc. I’m astonished there was a single point of fail for all related companies globally.

As to the social media etc I personally couldn’t comprehend a return to the pre-internet dark ages. The whole thing has revolutionised our lives, our work, our ability to freely share and access information. Spectacularly empowering. The past looks so primitive now. An intellectual apartheid.

PS Not suggesting Facebook is perfect, obviously, just describing the global systemic change it is a small part of.

The web is a classic double-edged blade. There's got to be some line drawn between the benefits of the web and the direction a lot of social media has taken in the last 10-15 years or so, and a lot of web content generally.
I'm guessing most here caught onto the web quite early? I first had some access to it in 1993 and there wasn't much to be had apart from some interesting open websites all in plain HTML, from universities and the like. Around 1998/1999 it seemed to be at a good point with regard to information/research content. Then after 2002 went in another direction with all that heavy advertising-based content in exchange for the ability to waffle into a vortex (like I'm doing now!). Remember 'Yahoo Answers'? What a hellhole that was.

There are some great things online, but I don't think Facebook is one of them. It's too big and is a spying/personal information mining system. As a fun look at the apocalyptic future of the internet, have a look at the internet Archive's 'Wayforward Machine': https://archive.org/

advertisement

Back