advertisement

Today I have mainly been v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Built a little Chinese valve preamp today to try soldering and see if I fancy a bit of DIY now it’s the close season and I can put away the fly tying kit. Looks ok and didn’t cock up. £12 posted! Naturally it’s got an odd barrel connector and AC so will have to have a rummage to see if I can fire it up!

Its difficult to get a black tie at short notice these days. My advise is to put it at the bottom of a sock drawer or something. If thinks go well for you it will be needed more and more frequently.
Good idea, my wife has just read the arrangements again, it finishes “You will all agree he led a life full of colour, nothing from the sombre section of your wardrobe please” !.

Have a feeling I'm being given the runaround, paid for headstone in February got told 12 to 16 weeks . Now being told that the stone is in China and still waiting to be shipped ! Was told at the start it was coming from Italy and now because of ongoing covid troubles it might get here by Christmas.

Test match tickets booked for 2022! Trent Bridge day 2 v NZ, and Edgbaston day 1 v SA. A productive day.

Now just need to secure a day at Lords, but getting tickets for there is like finding hens teeth…

well having spent a few hours putting spikes on a 7foot fence a few weeks ago , last night thieves decided to test them out on a house . attacked the shed window ! so thats another job to do . happy days . :(

Am I alone in thinking that, once you get to middle age, attempting to keep up with fashion just looks a bit desperate? By that time, you’ve probably had ample opportunity to decide what looks you favour, and developed the confidence to tell naysayers where to get off.
Absolutely. I’m sure I’ve never followed fashion in any area of my life - or at least since I became an adult. If I dress like someone out of the 1990s, so be it. I don’t care. One of the youngsters (twenty-something) that I was training last week said ‘I love the way you dress, it’s really Old School’ (Skool maybe.) Another way of saying the same thing, I suppose. I thanked her, and said that probably made it suitable for an Old Person. And let’s not forget t-shirt and shorts isn’t a modern style either - here’s a well-known exponent of that look from 1991.

skqrz.jpg

A-Z CDs: Laura Veirs - Troubled By The Fire

Her third album and I have a few more to play after this one. Saw her in Manchester years ago and she was great.

Good idea, my wife has just read the arrangements again, it finishes “You will all agree he led a life full of colour, nothing from the sombre section of your wardrobe please” !.

I have noted more and more funerals are decidedly less 'funereal' these days. I have been to a couple where black was not wanted.

My in laws went to a funeral a couple of years ago and as each chap entered, whatever tie they were wearing was removed and they were given a fresh one from the large and colourful collection of the deceased. To keep too. What a splendid idea!

Mostly trawling through websites booking PCR and Day 2 Covid tests, passenger locator forms, car rental, car parking and so on. I have lost the will to live. This is my first international flight since this coronavirus first appeared (20 months?) and I feel like it will be my last until something changes.

Covid + Brexit. Great.

Built a little Chinese valve preamp today to try soldering and see if I fancy a bit of DIY now it’s the close season and I can put away the fly tying kit. Looks ok and didn’t cock up. £12 posted! Naturally it’s got an odd barrel connector and AC so will have to have a rummage to see if I can fire it up!
No idea if it`s any good but astounding value for £15.

Still unpacking!

Sifting through the boxes we found the kids iPod docking stations (Klipsch) long since abandoned. They were destined for the recycling centre but Mrs S suggested that perhaps I should keep one of them. I plugged both in but one didn't work but the other showed signs of life.

Now my iPod Classic 160,GB has been residing in a cupboard somewhere, I replaced it many years ago with a FIIO X5 after the iPod let me down during a stay in hospital. It did work last time I tried it.

The X5 doesn't plug in like the iPod would but there was an adaptor that plugs into the line out socket. I hooked it up, switched both on and... music!

I now have a kitchen system with a choice of around 600 albums in ALAC or FLAC format. It's old school* but it works.

*Says the man who has an Lp12 and olive Naim kit.

Visiting hospital. My wife has an infection on top of her lung cancer, managed to get two visits booked today, and for the next two days. Food is so awful I'm taking in stuff to keep her going.

On a better note I also had an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm scan today. All clear which is good news, my father died following an AAA at the age 67. In Scotland every man is offered a scan when they reach 65.

Visiting hospital. My wife has an infection on top of her lung cancer, managed to get two visits booked today, and for the next two days. Food is so awful I'm taking in stuff to keep her going.

On a better note I also had an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm scan today. All clear which is good news, my father died following an AAA at the age 67. In Scotland every man is offered a scan when they reach 65.

Really sorry to hear about your wife - and the food she’s suffering on top of everything else. We get AAA scans in England too - I’m having mine on Thursday. I’d never heard of them until I got the letter. ‘They are offered to all men in their 65th year’ it said. ‘So why did you wait until my 66th?’ wondered Mr Pedantic.

Cycled before work this morning in pleasant weather & it really set me up for the day. Looks like climactic conditions are set to improve later in the week.

Cycled before work this morning in pleasant weather & it really set me up for the day. Looks like climactic conditions are set to improve later in the week.
Way-hey! Nothing like having improved conditions for a climax.

Last edited:
Watched 5 episodes of ‘Squid Game’ on the trot with The Wife. Only stopped because The Wife wants to watch Silent Shitness.

The Daughter pointed me towards Squid Game as we share similar tastes.

I was expecting something more violent, but it is beautifully shot.

Watching it in Korean with English subtitles.

Wanted some chips yesterday, and today, but haven’t had any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back