advertisement

Up to £5000-ish Turntable discussion (not argument)

My ears think the quite heavily modded SL1200 is surprisingly good but it’s a long time since I compared it to anything else.

It’s pointless ‘researching’ how good it is since depending where you go it’s either worse than a P2 or better than an SME20.

Just to add, a reason I’m contemplating this is because one of my daughters wants the Technics, badly. It might be more sensible to give her £300 to buy her own.

I run a modded Technics 1210, WT Amadeus GT, two Garrard 301s and a Sondek, all with my own tonearms. Recently I've listened to a Technics SL-1000R with stock arm and mine.

Honestly, a well modded Technics on a 12" inner tube with the rubber base bolts removed is very hard to beat. I did not yearn for a SL-1000R. It must be better, but I'm not sure I could hear it.

As you say, another used 1200 is a few hundred quid, and spend the rest on records and a top tonearm.

My ears think the quite heavily modded SL1200 is surprisingly good but it’s a long time since I compared it to anything else.

It’s pointless ‘researching’ how good it is since depending where you go it’s either worse than a P2 or better than an SME20.

Just to add, a reason I’m contemplating this is because one of my daughters wants the Technics, badly. It might be more sensible to give her £300 to buy her own.

So.....what happened?

I think he waited long enough and his daughter lost interest…

I had a Rega Planar 3 back in the day(80's), never really got on with it, moved onto CD's when they arrived, sold all my LP's.
Moving on to the earl 2000's I inherited a very early LP12 from my stepfather and built up an LP collection again but I was never totally satisfied. To get my LP12 to sound 'right' was going to cost a small fortune in my terms so I researched alternatives and listened to both a Gyro and Nottingham Analogue Ace Spacedeck, the NA won hands down, I think it's a personal thing, you will like either one sound or the other, to me they were so different.
During lockdown last year I traded in the Ace Spacedeck for a Dais and I couldn't be happier.

I've no experience of the other decks mentioned in this thread, I'm certain they will all be great in their own way but you really do have to listen to a few.

Putting any deck (or nay other bit of kit) into a system is amatter of understanding what sound you want and then listening to see if item 'a' achieves this or not
Everything has a signature sound.. The buyers task is to know what their ears want to hear and go demo until kit B harmonises with kit A
Buying Kit A is the easy bit. Start with your source. Room matching (which is vital) then doesn't matter. Get the source you can afford that sounds ok.After that the rest builds in until the final, critical addition of the speakers so fit whats in front and, your room.

This thread is therefore backwards
Sell everything and start all over again.

so I researched alternatives and listened to both a Gyro and Nottingham Analogue Ace Spacedeck, the NA won hands down. I traded in the Ace Spacedeck for a Dais and I couldn't be happier.

The Dais is the only N.A. deck I've had (and have), but my previous deck was an original Orbe (1995). In practical terms, the Dais has most of the advantages providing you have a robust table to put it on (the Orbe was on a Target shelf). That platter does present a servicing challenge for me though. (2 x) 12" tonearm facility? Can't beat it.

Only heard three of your choices, of those loved Dias (I owned a space deck) it also is a real statement piece, you can’t miss it, and I never got tired of the push platter to go trick.
If simplicity is a concern, what about one of the new luxmans. Look fab, auto everything, built like Saab’s. Real fit an forget stuff, also sounds sweet.

I had a gyro, great turntable. Heard a Dais, I'd say it was a definite step up in class, outstanding turntable. If I was going to move from my SME 20/2, I'd go for a Dais.....

For that sort of money I would be investigating the Holbo, a mark 2 version has just been announced…

I had a mid spec LP12 (still in my signature picture) with aro and DC drive and billet subchassis etc
On occasions...it sounded sublime...but was such high maintenance to keep it there (no arguments please...just my experience)

So I sold it for a new P8 when they just came out
It's 95% as good as the LP12 at its best...but all the time

It has a small footprint...weighs nothing...looks stylish... and costs in total what one LP12 upgrade would cost

So buy a P8 or P10 and be happy!

New Rega planar 10 or 8 with apheta 3 is hard to beat on hassle.
Wall bracket if needed and a good record cleaning machine would be my choice.

advertisement

Back