advertisement

Your Tone Arm History @ an arm which aesthetically you would love or have

I dislike tone arms with bends in it ... strictly for girls and think Well Tempered's approach is ingenious.

Anything with underhung weights just looks cool ie SMS V series, Mitchell Techno Rega's etc

Project arms look just plain wrong.

The longer the arm the better. If they'd do one at 2 meters length I'd get it just for the sake of it even tough I don't have a TT these days.

Big headshell's ala original Thorens are hip.

Other than that a simple Rega will do.

Who cares about sound? - IT has to look good.

I dislike tone arms with bends in it ... strictly for girls and think Well Tempered's approach is ingenious.

Anything with underhung weights just looks cool ie SMS V series, Mitchell Techno Rega's etc

Project arms look just plain wrong.

The longer the arm the better. If they'd do one at 2 meters length I'd get it just for the sake of it even tough I don't have a TT these days.

Big headshell's ala original Thorens are hip.

Other than that a simple Rega will do.

Who cares about sound? - IT has to look good.
You obviously need a Well Tempered 400 Royal.

I’ve never used the damping on mine, and have also considered converting it to 12“ - quite easy to DIY I think

There is someone on eBay selling 12 inch wands for the Mission arm. I do have a new aftermarket 9 inch wand from the same seller stored away somewhere. I bought some spare parts so I could put together another arm but the saddle was broken so it never happened.
I don’t think it would be that difficult to make your own 12 incher using some carbon fibre tube. Titanium might be good also.

Only 2 decks and 3 arms in 40 years : RB100, Rb300 and Ittok LVIII. You can guess the decks, both had felt mats. Oh yes, and using literally the same cartridge in tha Ittok today as in the RB100 40 years ago. Who´s tight ?

I bought the Bardot 10.5 as a package, persuaded by dealer.
Annoyed as later found the Bardot , tri planar combo is a well known, regarded, pairing. Yes Wheaton is twice price but wow. Really really regret trading in for 10.5, dealer speak with forked tongue.
The Bardot really is a fit and forget option, I’m a dd fan so not a surprise, but it’s sheer rock solid stability and inky black backgrounds are spooky good, also very good at making rough records playable and minimises record noise, stillpoints help.
I sent Bardot back to brinkmann for service as brinkmann offer for free and warrantee is endless, dhl lost it. Brinkmann put a brand new one post in within 24hs after they found out, no quibbles. That’s customer service! Never found out if mine showed up.
Dias and Bardot similar quality but Dias warmer with greater heft, Bardot detail and pacing are its forte. Dias very analogue, Bardot approaches the very best of digital, in sense of silence and pitch stability.

Had a lot of good arms - SME IV, Origin Live Conqueror, Rega RB1000, Nottingham Ace Anna and now the Phonomac AT-1120 mk6 (I think). All have a great deal to offer but they cannot be considered adrift of cartridge choice nor turntable compatibility. For example, the Conqueror was so heavy it really was unsuited to a suspended deck.

The Dynavector DV-507ii is the only arm I have an interest in trying and mainly because of its aesthetics.

Thanks @Frizzy Kudos too Brinkmann, the more I see and hear about this company and their products the more interested I am.
I currently use a Dais with a Brinkmann 10.0 /, Hana ML and Hadcock 242se/ Shure V15v-mxr but I maybe interested in changing to a Brinkmann TT in the future, maybe Spider or Taurus, perhaps even a full Brinkmann analogue system, but as ever being resident in NI there's no hope of a dem, either shop or home and there's not a single dealer in the UK that stocks Brinkmann and my choice of speakers, I'm not sure any of the Brinkmann stockists have the poweramps, I'd have to travel to Europe to hear that.

Got my Bardot from lotus in Sw london, not sure if Richard stocks the amps, he’s a keen salesman so I’m sure he’d find a way to make a sale.

Owned these arms:

Clearaudio Souther TQ-1
Hadcock 242SE
Alphason Xenon
Rega RB 250/300/900 Audio origami fettled etc
Michell Technoarm
Linn Ittok LV11
Linn Akito 2/B
Linn Akito
Helius Orion Mk3
Helius Aureus
Breuer Type 5 x2
Sumiko MDC 800
Audio Origami PU7
Syrinx PU2
Syrinx PU3
Mission 774SM
Moerch DP6
Moerch UP-4
Fidelity Research FR 64 FX
Fidelity Research FR 64S
Audio Note AN-S1
Wilson Benesch ACT 2
SME 1V
Logic Datum 2
Nottingham Ace Anna x2
.....lots more I can't remember

Now have these:

Mission Mechanic x2
Zeta
Naim Aro
Linn Ittok LV3 Mk2
Sony PUA 1600
Audio Note Arm 3 MK1 (Rega based)
Funk Firm F.XR2
Fidelity Research FR-24 MK2
Audio Note Arm3 Mk1 (Rega based)
Lenco P77 x2
Linn Akito MK1 Audio Origami fettled etc
And a few more I have to find

I would like to try these:

Graham Phantom B44
Brinkmann 10.5

I never even knew there were this many tonearms in the universe.

And he hasn't tried the Reed, Thales, or Schroeder options ...

Really sorry but I did try a Schroeder arm once and I thought it was very good at doing it's job and could have happily lived with it. The thing with HiFi is that sometimes the grass appears to be greener on the other side until you try it and make your own sense of the differences within a given combination of turntable, cartridge, tonearm etc.

PLEASE tell me that's with several replacement stylii/rebuilds in the interim period?? :)
Oh yes, that I remember: a K9, Rega Elys, Denon 301, Denon 103 Pro, LinnEsco Troika, and different step ups only to come back round to my P77 which I first used on my Dual CS 12__ in the 70s and had never chucked away. I have 3 replacement styli, retipped with Jico and Shure HE so hopefully I won’t be buying any more, nor using any step-ups again. Of course my lugs are now shot for spatial info but I suspect MCs were the biggest mistake in my hifi history. I now realise I’m more appreciative of tonal modulations and enthralled by how “ fings vibrate” rather than where they are situated

Last edited:
In somewhat chronological order:

Thorens TD150 arm (gone)
Thorens TD160 arm (gone)
Garrard Zero 100 (waiting restoration)
Infinity Black Widow (gone)
Rega RB300 (gone)
Graham Excaliber (gone)
Wilson Benesch 0.5 (gone)
Wilson Benesch ACT2 (gone)
Helius Orion 2 (gone)
SME V (for sale)
Alphason HR100s (for sale)
Oracle Finale (have)
Linn Ittok (gone)
Grace 707 (gone)
Grace 747 (have)
Grace 704 (gone)
Helius Omega Bronze/Gold (1 month old)

Current Projects
- RB250 - trying to upgrade bearings
- Premier MMT - fixing bearings, rewiring
- Sansui 929 tonearm - rewired, still figuring out bearing adjustment
- Magnepan Unitrac - fixed wiring
- Infinity Black widow - converting to 12"/adjustable length)

advertisement

Back