advertisement

Headphones are go

Almost every single measurement of the Lambda series shows a similar mid frequency hump (around 1.5 Khz), which has nothing to do with amplification. This fault makes the sound shouty and telephone-like. The third party Stax amp industry is built largely on denial of the faults of the phones themselves.
Cobblers imho.

I believe I damaged my hearing through listening to headphones for a few years, when the kids were young. Heed the warnings. Goodness knows how today's young people will suffer in future.
Open back headphones are safer as people around you will complain if you go too loud

Open back headphones are safer as people around you will complain if you go too loud
Open back headphones are more dangerous because it is tempting to raise volume in order to drown out outside noise.

Only if not driven properly. The problem with Stax is that the headphones themselves are super sensitive to the quality of the electrostatic amps that drive them, and the Stax own-brand amps don’t do a great job.

Total bo----cks - I've got a pair of 202's which are currently driven by a 252S - the old SRM1 Mk 2 is not significantly better

Never found my combo in the slightest bit telephone like:confused:

Last edited:
Total bo----cks - I've got a pair of 202's which are currently driven by a 252S - the old SRM1 Mk 2 is not significantly better

Never found my combo in the slightest bit telephone like:confused:
Once you hear it, it cannot be unheard. Only parametric eq will ameliorate the issue.

Almost every single measurement of the Lambda series shows a similar mid frequency hump (around 1.5 Khz), which has nothing to do with amplification. This fault makes the sound shouty and telephone-like. The third party Stax amp industry is built largely on denial of the faults of the phones themselves.
Bollocks of the first order! Bravo!

Ive never heard so much rubbish about the Stax being shouty. As a Stax owner I would say they are far from that.
Listen to some female vocals like Norah Jones and she's virtually whispering in your ear.

The majority of Stax amps will run the lambda series line and the 009s for that matter just fine. The 007s are the issue with the Stax line up and really do come alive with an aftermarket amp such as the KGSS not to say that improvements cant be had with a KGSS on the Lambdas or 009s and i have had a fair few of the series 009 007 501 404 202 Sigmas and the original Lambdas non pro. I enjoyed them all but ultimately the Sonoma M1 was just more enjoyable to listen to, not as detailed or airy but a bit more weight and body and simply more musical to my ears. I also kept the RAAL SR1a system which is just amazing in short bursts and makes the 009s sound limited in detail and slow which is really saying something. Ive had good amps and utopias senn hd800 650 600 Byer T1s Abyss Grado PS 1000i PS1000e RS1i RS2i GS1000 i and e and loads of others when i was thinking of moving to SE Asia and needed a portable HiFi solution.

Oh freaking Bollocks! There! I really just wanted to say it, no reason. Okay, I’ll shuffle off now….:)

The OP has been lost amongst all this silliness. I think he should buy the ethers on here. Fiddle about with stuff upto HD600 like I did and your still not convinced by headphone listening. In a moment of frustration I bought some Ether2 because I could. They turned out to be so good I share my time equally between a headphone system(all digital) and speakers(analogue) and enjoy both. I still favour the latter but the former is so flexible with access to the worlds largest music collection. Chaps, we are blessed.

About £650 for the Ethers? Planar phones are a completely different take on headphone listening. They worked for me

I believe I damaged my hearing through listening to headphones for a few years, when the kids were young. Heed the warnings. Goodness knows how today's young people will suffer in future.
Just set a comfortable listening volume using one of these, and there is nothing to worry about.
12 years with headphones, and they didn't do any damage whatsoever (It was actually going to clubs/concerts without earplugs that was bad)

I’d be wary of decimetres from Amazon etc for £30 as they’re unlikely to be accurate. Class 2 is really needed and the cost would be £140 minimum. Class 1 would be over a grand…

Depends on your budget, and it’s also very personal. I recently sold my Mr Speaker Ethers as I simply don’t spend enough time with headphones to justify keeping them, but for me they were the best circa £1000 ‘phones available.

If you’re anywhere near Hifi Lounge/HiEnd Headphones (same owners/location) and you’re considering new I’d highly recommend them. Fantastic range of headphones. He’ll possibly have some s/h models that have been traded in too.

Agreed, have Ether 2’s and they are excellent.

I’d be wary of decimetres from Amazon etc for £30 as they’re unlikely to be accurate. Class 2 is really needed and the cost would be £140 minimum. Class 1 would be over a grand…
To just measure peak listening volume, these fit the bill perfectly. I only need it to be consistent from the starting point, which it is.
And I guess it would be a bit better, if I had it calibrated with a 94dB signal, which I haven't done yet.

advertisement

Back