advertisement

FM Quality these days?

When I first got my Audiolab 8000T I was amazed that I could hear the gentle purr of the studio air conditioning behind the continuity announcer.

Sadly my Galaxy aerial was left at my old house so these days 'radio' comes through a Node 2i.

It’s fun through streaming. I have access to all this stuff through LMS and Material Skin, incl. Paradise FLAC though I heard that MQA is now involved. Though I listen to the BBC stream I still prefer the sound of the tuner with its distortion, hiss and Nicam tuned sounds. Don’t know why really.
Me too...I think its because we are sensitive and cultured individuals..this why we appreciate the humble tuner?

I still prefer the sound of the tuner with its distortion, hiss and Nicam tuned sounds.

Doesn't sound distorting to me and I don't care if it's relayed in Nicam or pigeon but if you get hiss from a stereo tuner, you haven't got enough signal, Del. I don't mind pieces of string for my kitchen and office radio, but have always made sure of a decent array for my main radio source.

Doesn't sound distorting to me and I don't care if it's relayed in Nicam or pigeon but if you get hiss from a stereo tuner, you haven't got enough signal, Del. I don't mind pieces of string for my kitchen and office radio, but have always made sure of a decent array for my main radio source.
I occasionally have hiss. I need a new aerial. Builders damaged it recently. Just haven’t had the time to restore it.

I occasionally have hiss. I need a new aerial. Builders damaged it recently. Just haven’t had the time to restore it.
In the US, this is a good choice.

http://www.godarusa.com/id31.html

I have 3 of these "hidden" around the stereo pointing towards my favorite stations. Also, SW antenna and satellite radio one.

Denon modular tuner was a space saving miracle:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-TU-6...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

I have it with 4 AM/FM modules, one for Sattelite Radio and one for HDFM.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ve still got two decent tuners, and hopefully a third on way. Decided to go all retro in back room so getting 33/303/tuner, and eventually some 63.
The meridian 104b I got for £80 mullers almost everything I’ve heard except for a magnum 106t.
Fm even compared to radio 3 digi at best has a greater ability to involve in a way the ether can’t match, yet.

Some years ago the Swedish Radio had a program where they demonstrated how bad lossy compression (MP3, DAB etc) is. It was distributed on FM, DAB and the internet, They begun by telling us that the test signals coming up to show the difference was only meaningful on FM as the other formats was, yes, lossy compressed.

Nothing wrong with FM, given a good reception, a good antenna and a decent tuner.

advertisement

Back