advertisement

Is TonyL rich enough already ;)

MUTTY1

Waste of bandwidth
Chaps, I couldn’t help but click on a banner for Yorkshire Pies just now. The artificial intelligence has obviously got me nailed. It did however get me thinking whether one should just randomly click occasionally just to support the site over and above something your actually interested in. I may be behind the curve here. Just wondered if this is common practise with sites you appreciate or whether the advertising is mainly driven by visitor numbers? I’m sure my naive pondering have already been factored into Google’s brain and they look for unusual patterns to cut out any love of a website that doesn’t produce enough revenue?

Google’s ad AI is pretty clever so please only click if it really genuinely interests you (it disallows suspicious behaviour etc).

PS One thing that irks me is I’m contractually not allowed to click in any circumstance so even when it fields stuff I’m interested in I can’t click it!

So do you still get a payment for a click through? I thought those days were over and payment was only made when a purchase was made following a click through?

I have it on very good authority that Tony L is a multimillionaire, and only runs this site for his own personal amusement.

I do click on the links one or two times a visit

In the (maybe mistaken) thought I'm helping the site
I also like to make the occasional (admittedly small) donation ...in the thought that if everyone did...it might add up to a useful amount

It can be a little frustrating, that having researched a purchase and completed it, the banners are driven by that activity and no longer of interest!

The other important thing to remember is that (unlike links within threads) the ads don't open in a new tab but actually move the current tab away from PFM unless of course I remember to hold down the control key to force another tab.

Jim

The other important thing to remember is that (unlike links within threads) the ads don't open in a new tab but actually move the current tab away from PFM.

Sometimes that’s a blessing, depending on the thread ;)

Google ads are done on a cost per click basis when dealing directly with Google through your own ad account. You can buy Google ad space through a third party aggregator, like buying print ads from a media company who bulk purchases from a magazine publisher, then the terms are whatever you/they like. But still usually PPC, with maybe some cost per acquisition melted into the cost.

We I am richer than I thought mine are trillion dollar notes.

Pete

Staggering, when i was there we got 14 to the pound on the street and official rate was 7.

Eight of us went out to dinner one night and the whole boozy evening was just over £1 a head.

Broken down stuff everywhere, we met a farmer with a broken down tractor who'd been waiting two years for a foreign currency allocation to buy a spare part.

Staggering, when i was there we got 14 to the pound on the street and official rate was 7.

Eight of us went out to dinner one night and the whole boozy evening was just over £1 a head.

Broken down stuff everywhere, we met a farmer with a broken down tractor who'd been waiting two years for a foreign currency allocation to buy a spare part.

I have good friends from there (Rhodesia-era), it is heartbreaking to see politics of all conceivable angles destroy one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Not entirely sure what the current situation is now the monster Mugabe is dead, though I suspect his thugs will be well ingrained everywhere.

ISTM politics, in all its various shades, is a negative and destructive influence. What could and should be a positive force is almost always the reverse. I'd like to think at some point we'll be mature enough, as a species, to get beyond the need for it, but I doubt it'll be any time soon.

advertisement

Back