advertisement

Many swearwords, and a suppressed primal scream of anguish

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
I'll start with the TL/DR - bought amp off ebay, seller communication great, technical information about servicing of amp great, parcel arrived today, seller is a five star inept twunt when it comes to packaging, amp damaged. See pictures and snigger.

ZzJqRp.jpg

So... yeah. Those sticky out bits? They're the faceplate. Sticking out of the sides of the cardboard packaging, barely covered with duct tape. And that's a hole right through the cardboard packaging too.

gp3riz.jpg

Yep, that's a bend. Also please note nothing between the cardboard and the amp itself. At this point I'm glad I had the presence of mind to photograph the "unpacking". My temper wasn't improving any at this point...

r23dN5.jpg

Now I'm truly annoyed. As well as no packing between the cardboard and the sides of the amp, check the lack of protection for the speaker posts/rca sockets at the bottom end. The lack of protection is highlit by the fact that although the seller was using the amp in stereo, when it arrived here the button had been pushed in for bridged operation.

Even the dog is looking nervous at this point.

LncaC8.jpg

And theeeere's the money shot. Totally shit packaging, there's no way this is getting plugged into my kit without some extreme precautions (like trying it with some throwaway speakers). As it is, refund request sent.

So... that's my Friday (and weekend) totally wrecked. I am not a happy camper... Refund request sent, together with photographs.

I swear, it's a conspiracy. A tidy 2ohm stable amp to run my subs, and finally finish off the main system... and the slavering f*wit packages it like this. I am SIGNFICANTLY ANNOYED.

Painful photos! That bend is just deflating. Some sellers seem to be simpletons. when I bought a trumpet online it had some additional bits and pieces not from the case. I specifically told the seller not to pack anything outside the case in case it got damaged. There were two unused mouthpieces which he said he would 'throw in' and since they usually only have one slot for a mouthpiece in a basic case I thought maybe he would just put it to the side or tape it to the bell or something.

But no! This plonker duct taped it to the outside of the case! I was just dumbfounded. Why inconvenience even yourself like that with something you can perfectly package in a square box?!

Painful photos! That bend is just deflating. Some sellers seem to be simpletons. when I bought a trumpet online it had some additional bits and pieces not from the case. I specifically told the seller not to pack anything outside the case in case it got damaged. There were two unused mouthpieces which he said he would 'throw in' and since they usually only have one slot for a mouthpiece in a basic case I thought maybe he would just put it to the side or tape it to the bell or something.

But no! This plonker duct taped it to the outside of the case! I was just dumbfounded. Why inconvenience even yourself like that with something you can perfectly package in a square box?!

Thick as a yard of lard, and about as useful as tits on a bull. In this case, knowing my luck the seller will probably not respond to my refund request and drag it out through eBay. At least the photos speak for themselves.

It’s a nice learning curve for the seller as that’s a full refund right there and one any courier insurance won’t cover. I don’t recognise the amp, but he’s clearly lost its full value.

I’ve got to the stage of a shrug of resignation now with this sort of thing. It annoys me from a classic audio preservation perspective as in the past I’ve bought a mint condition wood case A21 and a Yamaha CT1000 tuner packed by idiots with no concept of basic physics. It is a shame to see the stuff destroyed, but it doesn’t end up costing me a penny as I’ll accept nothing but a full refund. The idea of connecting that amp to a system wouldn’t even occur to me, it is obviously going back. I’d not want it if it was free in that condition unless I had another mint one that needed parts, in which case I’d offer to keep it rather than the seller pay return postage after they’d refunded in full.

Thick as a yard of lard, and about as useful as tits on a bull. In this case, knowing my luck the seller will probably not respond to my refund request and drag it out through eBay. At least the photos speak for themselves.
Let us know how it goes.

Sorry - it looks dreadful and not what you expect on new kit day. The worst I had was a smashed up guitar but it was nowhere near that mess

It’s a nice learning curve for the seller as that’s a full refund right there and one any courier insurance won’t cover. I don’t recognise the amp, but he’s clearly lost its full value.

I’ve got to the stage of a shrug of resignation now with this sort of thing. It annoys me from a classic audio preservation perspective as in the past I’ve bought a mint condition wood case A21 and a Yamaha CT1000 tuner packed by idiots with no concept of basic physics. It is a shame to see the stuff destroyed, but it doesn’t end up costing me a penny as I’ll accept nothing but a full refund. The idea of connecting that amp to a system wouldn’t even occur to me, it is obviously going back. I’d not want it if it was free in that condition unless I had another mint one that needed parts, in which case I’d offer to keep it rather than the seller pay return postage after they’d refunded in full.

If the seller doesn't want it back, I'll pass it onto my cable making friend, who is an electronics engineer. What I've come to think of as my "Alan pile" (Not Alan from ABC/AWE) grows steadily mountainous... I'm determined to wean him off portable audio onto "proper kit" :D

it's obviously comedy hour on eBay...

The seller sent you a message
Hi, Have you checked if the amplifier is in working order? I appreciate there is damage to the faceplate but would prefer to provide a partial refund if the amplifier works and can be used.

it's obviously comedy hour on eBay...

The seller sent you a message
Hi, Have you checked if the amplifier is in working order? I appreciate there is damage to the faceplate but would prefer to provide a partial refund if the amplifier works and can be used.
(joking) Tell him you set it up and blew a pair of speakers and he's due you for them too!

(joking) Tell him you set it up and blew a pair of speakers and he's due you for them too!

Close...

Hi, Have I tested the amp? No. Absolutely NOT. There's no way I'm putting my speakers at risk by connecting this amp to them. Given the totally inadequate packaging - and the near total lack of ANY shock absorbing materials - I'm surprised the amp doesn't rattle. The bending of the quite substantial faceplate shows that the amp has received a significant impact. The lack of proper packing around the input jacks and speaker posts means that there is a very real risk of internal PCB damage at these vulnerable points. The subwoofers I was going to use this amp with are custom-order 12" BK passive units, the drivers alone would cost £220 each to replace. Are you going to accept full liability in the event of your amp causing either or both of these units to fail?

So... yes to all well-deserved criticism of the sender's numptiness. But what the heck happened in transit to cause that kind of damage? What, did it cover all of 60-something miles en route? Proper packaging or not, that level of destruction requires intent and focus.

So... yes to all well-deserved criticism of the sender's numptiness. But what the heck happened in transit to cause that kind of damage? What, did it cover all of 60-something miles en route? Proper packaging or not, that level of destruction requires intent and focus.

Take a look at the pictures I posted - He may as well have wrapped the amp in a hanky. My favourite is the one of the sealed package, with the faceplate protruding through the cardboard, covered only by duct tape. He basically didn't give enough of a damn to package properly. With packing that bad, it doesn't take intent and focus, it just takes a failure to care.

To ship anything of any weight you really need to pack for a 2m or more drop onto concrete. The facia/rack ears was actually exposed and is only a fairly soft alloy. A casual drop from about waist height would do that amount of damage if there is a substantial transformer (i.e. weight) inside. Even if it was an empty rack case it would sustain some cosmetic damage from that height as it wasn’t packed in any sense of the word.

To ship anything of any weight you really need to pack for a 2m or more drop onto concrete. The facia/rack ears was actually exposed and is only a fairly soft alloy. A casual drop from about waist height would do that amount of damage if there is a substantial transformer (i.e. weight) inside. Even if it was an empty rack case it would sustain cosmetic damage from that height.
Yes, for sure, makes sense. But I always took the unspoken context to be "...because there's a small outside chance dropping from 2m onto concrete may occur..." rather than "...because we absolutely intend to do this, multiple times, just for the sheer hell of it...".

advertisement

Back