advertisement

Garrard 401-Suggestions for Tonearm

There's a reason SME arms get mentioned when talking of Garrard; they both come from the same great UK design tradition, and were the single most common combination. What's more, it is perhaps the most cost effective solution...because a well-chosen SME 12inch arm will hold its price better than the others.
I've got a 3012 from 1967 which was owned by a Garrard engineer for 30 years, without him ever getting round to using it. I'm a bit of a traditionalist in these matters, although I could see myself with an original Ortofon arm.
In modern terms, and if I had the cash, a 12inch Japanese Ikeda would seem in the spirit of the 3012. Or the lovely new 'm series' SME 12inch R; possibly the best value in the modern range, and the best looking (to me, anyway.) The new 'J' shaped 9inch SME is rather tempting too. As SME are back-ordered for about 650 arms, they must be doing something very right.
Although I would still particularly fancy a chrome 12inch Ikeda. Very tasty.
I don't think I've ever seen one for sale in the UK.

Ikeda looks the part and so does the price! Agree the new SME 12 inch arm also looks great and SME or Ortofon seem the way to go for a good match

Thread revival!

What is the current wisdom on a 12” arm for the 401?

Has anyone tried say a Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 for example?

How about a Temaad Audio Merlin Reference 12” Titanium Tonearm ?
(seem particularly good VFM)

To be used with a rebuilt Koetsu Rosewood, if I’ve got the bottle to put it in on when it returns from Japan and not sell it in sheer terror!

That would leave me with my current Zu-Denon 103 but assume Koetsu for this exercise.

I’d like to keep budget under 2k if possible, 1k better so definitely used except the Temaad, some info here…..

https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/temaad_merlin_e.html

Thread revival!

What is the current wisdom on a 12” arm for the 401?

Has anyone tried say a Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 for example?

How about a Temaad Audio Merlin Reference 12” Titanium Tonearm ?
(seem particularly good VFM)

To be used with a rebuilt Koetsu Rosewood, if I’ve got the bottle to put it in on when it returns from Japan and not sell it in sheer terror!

That would leave me with my current Zu-Denon 103 but assume Koetsu for this exercise.

I’d like to keep budget under 2k if possible, 1k better so definitely used except the Temaad, some info here…..

https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/temaad_merlin_e.html

Something fairly high mass with your cartridge choices, Schick, Groovemaster, Glanz, etc

Moerch DP6 with 12" blue wand? Looks good on any TT IMO, + solid resale values.

Or any of Darren L's recommendations of course.

I have a VPI unipivot with a Koetsu Urishi on my 401 it's a brilliant combination,I think uni pivots work really well on 401's.

I have a VPI unipivot with a Koetsu Urishi on my 401 it's a brilliant combination,I think uni pivots work really well on 401's.

Agreed - I ran a Hadcock on my 401 with great results (when I had one), and also a Roksan Nima on my more recent Lenco too.

I'm sorted for now, gone for a Isokinetik Silver Melody 750 - 12" (Jelco SA-750LB Si).
It's got the Isokinetic Silver Melody SM750 tonearm counterweight along with a very nice Isokinetic Rosewood headshell too so bodes well for the Koetsu.
All at a price i'm very comfortable with for my first foray into the 12" zone. I look forward to setting up and having a listen, might be a few weeks yet before all components lined up.

That’s what I’m going to put on my 301.
Interested to hear how that works out, what length are you going to get, doesn't the guy who developed this arm use a 401 as well that should ensure they have good compatibility.

advertisement

Back