advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

There’s no point replaying the arguments over the vote but let’s not pretend there isn’t a massive issue here with 52/48 of those those who voted (not the overall eligible voters). We’re now seeing some of the “bumps in the road” Boris talked about. It’s total stupidity but WTF can we do about it now?

No you're not.You've had plenty of evidence, you are just one of the Brexit apologists who think everyone else should sort out your mess.

Is that supposed to be a considered reply? In what way does my question relate to being a Brexit apologist? What happened at the start of this year was pretty well forecast on many fronts. You would expect prudent business owners to be ahead of the game? In any case my principal question remains - what has been done by the industry and government to resolve the challenges in the last 9 months?

Who, outwith the UK, am I expecting to sort this out for us?

Regards

Richard

those those who voted (not the overall eligible voters).
Sorry, but this has never been relevant in any way. The rules were clear and I can’t recall any protests against them before the vote. So the govt assumed they were universally accepted, and carried on.

Sorry, but this has never been relevant in any way. The rules were clear.
Oh I see, you’re happy to pick a few words from my post. Well then I think your use of the word “clear” is irrelevant. Actually there’s lots that wasn’t clear to many. Were you present in the U.K. at the time? I wasn’t at your choir votes so I won’t try to lecture you on your choir rules.

I was in the UK at the time, but on holiday. I was surprised by the very civilized reaction of the people, on the south coast anyway.

I was in the UK at the time, but on holiday. I was surprised at the very civilized reaction of the people, on the south coast anyway.
I’ve been to many countries on holiday over 6 decades, this doesn’t mean I remotely understand the complexities within those countries. Indeed it’s tough to comprehend the dynamics even with in-depth experience of this country. I could give views on some controversial votes within Switzerland…this would not be helpful so I won’t.

1.25p/mile, 17g CO2/km if you charged overnight on Thursday from the grid, free zero carbon miles if you have solar panels.

Though if you charge overnight from your solar panels it costs nothing .

Because you then have no charge :D.

With regards to the C02, charging overnight relies on wind/tidal if available, if not then you are using nuclear/gas or coal.
How many tonnes of cement are required for one of our 8 nuclear power stations and how much C02 is required to produce that. (ignore looking after the radioactive waste for tens of thousands of years)
How much extra C02 was required to build your battery pack ?
How much C02 will be required to renew your battery pack in 8/10 years (if you believe the marketing hype)

I'm sure all the above have been factored into your 17gm/Km quote.

The 1.25p/mile you quote for 'fuel' cost is why the mileage charge per Km tax will be coming soon... to replace the lost taxation from fuel duty.

https://institute.global/policy/avoiding-gridlock-britain

Though this is from Tony Blair's think tank not Boris Johnsons.

I have stop/start in my car which adds an extra 25Kg to the weight of the vehicle, how much C02 does that save on a long journey - less than none.

Wind was 50% of overall energy production last night, Polestar have published on their battery life cycle CO2 cost (summary: with an energy mix like last night the breakeven point is way before useful battery life even before any post car use repurposing), I would like to know how much concrete is used in petrol stations and how much land is contaminated by seepage and the cost of replacing the storage tanks regularly. I also presume that you factor in the carbon emissions of getting petrol to a petrol station in your calculations?

Reactions: MJS
It's funny hearing the government blaming us public for being dim.

This was taboo during all the Brexit hullabaloo; "How dare you suggest that the British public are gullible and could be swayed by simple slogans on a bus! Outrageous Sir!"

d48Y5OG.jpg

Happy Christmas to all our customers at Bullingdon.

So having given my jerry can full of petrol to my neighbour at the weekend as she had nothing left in her tank and wouldn't have been able to get to work otherwise I decided to brave the likely hostility at the local filling station and fill it up again this morning so I can do some mowing tomorrow/Friday. Headed down there to find a small queue of 5 cars and two pumps working. Got to my place and filled up the jerry can... the chap behind then decided to say something until I pointed out I was only filling the jerry can for the mowers and not putting any in the car (it's still 2/3 full).. he then apologised which is fine as I could see how it might look. So back home safe... and not lynched :D

I was chatting to one of the staff in my local Sainsburys's today. She told me that the previous day she had been helping to control the queues of dimwits trying to fill up their cars at the filling station who were blocking the entrance/exit to the store and the main road outside. Apparently the abuse was appalling, but the icing on the cake was one snotty bloke who said he was queuing to fill his jerrycan for his petrol lawnmower. She said she had to walk away before the red mist descended and she hit him. She is a big lady and has his car number!

:D

Can I make a very cheap analogy ? I sing in two choirs, in one of them it’s customary that we vote on what we are going to sing for the next season (and concerts). The voters who ‘lost’ will still do their best to help set up a great performance, even though they are not too fond of the music. They could also choose to protest by singing badly or by not attending the rehearsals altogether, but then you can imagine the result. Choir would be defunct within two years.
It’s not a great analogy, though. It might be better if you’d said that the majority vote had gone for a programme which was difficult to sing, hard to listen to and would have put off most audiences so the future of the choir wasn’t assured. But even then, choir members are free to leave the choir if they don’t like the programme.

We, on the other hand, are obliged to stay in the choir, but can be criticised for not singing lustily along?

So I think your analogy is too cheap, too simplistic, to be applied to a much more complex situation. If you think it’s a valid analogy, I respectfully suggest you haven’t grasped the reality of the situation.

It’s not a great analogy, though. It might be better if you’d said that the majority vote had gone for a programme which was difficult to sing, hard to listen to and would have put off most audiences so the future of the choir wasn’t assured. But even then, choir members are free to leave the choir if they don’t like the programme.

We, on the other hand, are obliged to stay in the choir, but can be criticised for not singing lustily along?

So I think your analogy is too cheap, too simplistic, to be applied to a much more complex situation. If you think it’s a valid analogy, I respectfully suggest you haven’t grasped the reality of the situation.

Indeed. If the outcome didn't damage the businesses and rights of others, there would be some sort of analogy on matters of preference.

Imagine if Brexit effects were only for Brexit voters, then you might have a deal. But suddenly fewer Brexit voters I suspect.

Indeed. If the outcome didn't damage the businesses and rights of others, there would be some sort of analogy on matters of preference.

Imagine if Brexit effects were only for Brexit voters, then you might have a deal. But suddenly fewer Brexit voters I suspect.
We could start by insisting Brexit voters go to the back of any fuel queue (if only this were viable…). Likewise other shortages likely in run up to Christmas. Brexit isn’t solely responsible for the lack of drivers but it’s a significant contributory factor.

advertisement

Back