advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

No you're not. You've had plenty of evidence, you are just one of the Brexit apologists who think everyone else should sort out your mess.
I don’t see many on this forum saying ‘now we’ve got that bloody Brexit, let’s make it the best we can’. Maybe EV and very few others. 99% do nothing but swear at the govt and the people who voted for it. That’s the action I can see from here.

I don’t see many on this forum saying ‘now we’ve got that bloody Brexit, let’s make it the best we can’. Maybe EV and very few others. 99% do nothing but swear at the govt and the people who voted for it. That’s the action I can see from here.

Possibly because of the continued denial and pretence that somehow Brexit is not involved, which means the solutions are absurdly limited and will take far longer.

All we see is constant doubling down on the stupidity rather than admit mistakes and show some interest in pragmatic solutions, in case they reveal that certain decisions and actions need to be reversed. If the attitude continues to be denial, why the Hell should people who did not make the specious claims about "they need us more than we need them" and all the other crap that prevented adequate preparation, be the ones to "make the best of it"?

No. You fvck things up, you roll back what you need to in order to get yourselves back in the game.

Last edited:
I’m wrong about cabotage being removed completely.

The EU-UK agreement allows two cabotage operations for foreign drivers per trip. It seems that this provision was put in place to stop Northern Irish hauliers going out of business (most NI hauliers operate extensively in the Republic, and vice versa). That’s better than nothing, but it does stop the pattern of self-employed long-distance drivers spending several days in their destination country doing short runs before tackling the long return trip. And like a lot of the EU-UK Trade Agreement, it’s a worse deal for the UK drivers, who might have to make those two jobs spread over nearly a thousand miles of return trip, as apposed to the the Spanish driver heading to the UK, who only can use his two jobs in the couple of hundred miles of journey within the UK, then take any number of jobs for the rest.

Thanks for the update.

Ultimately there isn’t a shortage of fuel but a surfeit of idiots. A lot of supply chains are ‘just in time’ so can be disrupted, it’s a side effect of low margin retail.

Obviously the government are still a bunch of no talent chancers.

TBH no not really. I'm not sure what the RHA have gotten out of this, they certainly appear to be determined to just sit back and have everybody blame the government. They could and should have stepped up to the mark. Given they have been, at the very least partly, responsible for the way the industry had been going for several years prior to Brexit I am fascinated there hasn't been more direct criticism of their seeming inaction.

I am open to evidence that the RHA made serious overtures to the government since 2016.

No one knew what the lauded Brexit deal would be until just before Christmas 2020. The Govt always said there would be a deal which would be such that post-Brexit things would be the same or better.

When, in December 2020 the EU were saying the situation was at crisis point because it would soon be too late to conclude a deal in time, and the Govt was still playing brinkmanship suggesting it was viable to walk away on WTO terms, the RHA appeared on BBC Newsnight and the News Channel warning of the consequences of such a late agreement for the industry to prepare. They complained of lack of Govt consultation/notice of new driver procedures/paperwork etc. plus saying there’s also this crucial issue that few people are aware of and explaining how the situation with EU HGV drivers operating in the UK worked i.e. ‘cabotage’ - though I don’t recall it being named as such at the time. RHA said they had repeatedly warned the Govt, going way back, that it was imperative there was ‘a deal’ which took account of this or there would be dire consequences for movement of goods. When asked by the presenter ‘what response had been received’ from Govt, RHA effectively said ‘none’, and that their warnings were being ignored.

My last fill-up was before the crisis. I have approx. 120 mile range left and while limiting car usage will be doing a scheduled 90 mile round trip tomorrow. I have a further 220 miles scheduled over the next few weeks. Hoping the situation will ease for a fill-up at the end of next week.

It's quite easy to find petrol stations open with fuel - just check Google maps and look for the red lines on the surrounding roads....

51536245590_296235c8cd_c.jpg

Last edited:
So, a couple of local filling stations had a delivery this morning. I went out to get some shopping but had to turn around twice, because of roads blocked with people queuing for fuel.

Obviously the government are still a bunch of no talent chancers.

You'll get no argument from me there!

It's quite easy to find petrol stations open with fuel - just check Google maps and look for the red lines on the surrounding roads....

51536245590_296235c8cd_c.jpg
and then select the petrol stations to see if they are busy, not busy would suggest no fuel...

I was chatting to one of the staff in my local Sainsburys's today. She told me that the previous day she had been helping to control the queues of dimwits trying to fill up their cars at the filling station who were blocking the entrance/exit to the store and the main road outside. Apparently the abuse was appalling, but the icing on the cake was one snotty bloke who said he was queuing to fill his jerrycan for his petrol lawnmower. She said she had to walk away before the red mist descended and she hit him. She is a big lady and has his car number!

Heating oil affected too, one of my guys has just run out and i've been quoted 22nd October delivery!

One of our hauliers has also suddenly increased prices by £200 a load too; then the idiot forgot to bring any empties back.

He'll have to fund his own £900 round trip if that happens again.

advertisement

Back