advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

These are not made up issues, they are the facts and the government has either caused these issues or known about them and done nothing for years as the problem has built.

The government have been getting a great deal of flack over the HGV driver shortage but the haulage industry has had a number of years to anticipate Brexit and the likely implications. Nobody appears to be lambasting them though................... Just asking.............

Regards

Richard

Drove past a BP this morning on the way to to work in Burton On Trent, no queues, all the pumps appeared to be working fine and it looked the same travelling back. Took a slight detour so I could check out a couple of ESSO stations and they both free of queues but all the pumps working.

haulage industry has had a number of years to anticipate Brexit
That sounds like both parties conveniently shifting the blame to the other until something or nothing gets done.
Only when the country faces serious operational issues does the government start to respond to save face.
And quite poignantly, the week before Tory Party Conference.

The government have been getting a great deal of flack over the HGV driver shortage but the haulage industry has had a number of years to anticipate Brexit and the likely implications. Nobody appears to be lambasting them though................... Just asking.............

Regards

Richard

Sorry Richard, but I disagree. As the retail sector has moved to condition people to expect to buy a t-shirt for a quid and have it delivered on the same day while the retailer holds little stock relying on JIT delivery and manufacture the whole supply chain industry has come under huge pressure both to be more time efficient and cheaper. This applies across the board from the aforementioned t-shirt to the transportation of heavy industrial items. Without any realistic regulation of working conditions (government responsibility) outside of basic time on the road hauliers have been able to be squeezed by their customers and have had little choice but to pass on those reductions in the form of poor pay and working conditions especially set against a backdrop of fluctuating fuel prices (government could manage this with a floating fuel duty, working with the oil companies etc.). This was before the impact of Brexit, but seriously how are they then supposed to anticipate something when absolutely no details of what it meant to the industry were released before and in many cases not for some time after. In fact there are still unknowns even now and let's not forget that for a long time the government couldn't even give us a date when it would happen. Then factor in that not only have drivers been hit (EU driver no longer eligible to work), but the industry has a whole heap of new paperwork to deal with if anything goes to/from the EU... even now it's not always clear what this is. Sorry, but the industry is where it is due to a series of systemic failings within government and them allowing a totally 'free retail economy' that has driven prices onto the floor and conditioned people to expect that. They own it 100%!!!

How on earth could any industry prepare? Nobody had any idea wtf was going to happen. In fact, many businesses are still struggling to work out what’s what, and some have just given up.
The government clearly did know what was likely to happen since they war gamed various scenarios but tried to conceal the findings -their own Operation Yellowhammer predicted much of what we see now ( but that was with a full no deal hard Brexit!).

They sold various fantasy outcomes (all exaggeratedly good) to the public and did not work with industry to plan for what could happen. What they did plan for was miserably underresourced and we have a country unable to customs check it’s own imports from Europe, while our own exports to Europe have collapsed.

The government clearly did know what was likely to happen since they war gamed various scenarios but tried to conceal the findings -their own Operation Yellowhammer predicted much of what we see now ( but that was with a full no deal hard Brexit!).

They sold various fantasy outcomes (all exaggeratedly good) to the public and did not work with industry to plan for what could happen. What they did plan for was miserably underresourced and we have a country unable to customs check it’s own imports from Europe, while our own exports to Europe have collapsed.

But it's everyone else's fault.

Regards

Richard

Possibly because 1) you can't suddenly summon up vast numbers of HGV drivers - not if you are going to insist on any kind of standard of competence, 2) the UK haulage industry was only ever part of what moves UK goods to Europe and we have fvcked the other more significant part based in the EU and 3) all this while UK hauliers counselled strongly against doing so because of these entirely predictable consequences. They do not share blame for something they didn't want and counselled against.

Proposers and voters for Brexit did not want to hear what leaving really involved. These consequences were as predictable as the Brexiteer denial and abdication of responsibility is now. The haulage industry was no different to many others who saw this coming and warned accordingly. Blame for the people who know what they are dealing with, by people who don't, just reinforces the idiocy.

Perhaps we have to wait for a future generation with more of them free of the stain of this hubris, before the entirely predictable damage and reduction of the UK can be worked on more constructively.

Drove past my local petrol station a couple of times yesterday. Sign said open but no-one there. It’s old fashioned, a man comes and does it for you while you stand in the rain.

Nobody had any idea wtf was going to happen.

Seriously???? A fair number of the bosses in the haulage industry will be pretty switched on cookies so I have absolutely no doubt they had a fair idea of what would happen. I'm more than welcome to see hard evidence to the contrary.

I'm not saying the government are free of any blame but there is no way any right thinking person would wonder what the RHA were doing for 4 years in the run-up to Brexit.

My industry 'changed' from the introduction of East Europeans since the 1990's but this occurs out at sea out of sight of the British public.

Regards

Richard

I think the government has to shoulder the bulk of the blame. They are running the country into the ground at the moment, fire fighting from one crisis to the next, not that the so called opposition is any better right now.

Seriously???? A fair number of the bosses in the haulage industry will be pretty switched on cookies so I have absolutely no doubt they had a fair idea of what would happen. I'm more than welcome to see hard evidence to the contrary.

I'm not saying the government are free of any blame but there is no way any right thinking person would wonder what the RHA were doing for 4 years in the run-up to Brexit.

My industry 'changed' from the introduction of East Europeans since the 1990's but this occurs out at sea out of sight of the British public.

Regards

Richard

Ok, they knew the situation was hopeless and that the government wouldn’t listen and didn’t care.
Is that better?

Smart people often make the mistake of assuming that other people are smart too, and to be fair to the RHA and anyone else who had to rely on the current UK Government, self-destructive insanity can look exactly like steely brinkmanship right up to the very end. I think the RHA were expecting cabotage to be retained as a bare minimum as part of any deal, because it was so important to the running of the UK economy.

Cabotage is the right of a driver from one country to make deliveries between two points within a second country, and it’s an essential part of keeping up the efficiency of international road transport. For example, it allows a driver who came from Italy to drop off in Sunderland, collect there, drop in Birmingham, collect in Coventry, drop in Swindon, and then pick up there for their trip out of the UK. The two trips within the UK require cabotage rights, which EU drivers no longer have after Brexit. (The same applies to British drivers in the EU, and while this made news earlier in the year when various British rock-bands complained that it would be impossible to tour without it, none of the news reports I read followed the logic through and considered the implications for freight within the UK.. )

Basically, the UK has a large internal market with lots of goods moving within it, but the country exports far less physical goods than it imports. Without cabotage, you need extra drivers within the UK to do internal deliveries, while also sending empty trucks back over the Channel.

Last edited:
Nightmare at Christmas,

Shoppers have been warned to expect a “nightmare” Christmas with limited stock on the shelves and higher prices amid labour shortages and shipping problems.

Many families will find they cannot get a turkey for Christmas Day and presents under the tree may not meet expectations, with delays to the import of toys, bikes and electrical items, according to analysts.

Britain’s biggest retailers predicted disruption to the festive season unless ministers took urgent action to allow more foreign workers into the country.
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...eurozone-business-live?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Well the Liphook service stations on the A3 had fuel this morning because the queues were stretching back onto the A3 (for those not in the know these are just after blind bends in either direction at national speedlimit). I'm sure there will be a multicar shunt there at some point today!!

Smart people often make the mistake of assuming that other people are smart too, and to be fair to the RHA and anyone else who had to rely on the current UK Government, self-destructive insanity can look exactly like steely brinkmanship right up to the very end. I think the RHA were expecting cabotage to be retained as a bare minimum as part of any deal, because it was essential to the running of the UK economy.

Cabotage is the right of a driver from one country to make deliveries between two points within a second country, and it’s an essential part of keeping up the efficiency of international road transport. For example, it allows a driver who came from Italy to drop off in Sunderland, collect there, drop in Birmingham, collect in Coventry, drop in Swindon, and then pick up there for their trip out of the UK. The two trips within the UK require cabotage rights, which EU drivers no longer have after Brexit. (The same applies to British drivers in the EU, and while this made news earlier in the year when various British rock-bands complained that it would be impossible to tour without it, although none of the news reports I read followed the logic through and considered the implications for freight within the UK.. )

Basically, the UK has a large internal market with lots of goods moving within it, but the country exports far less physical goods than it imports. Without cabotage, you need extra drivers within the UK to do internal deliveries, while also sending empty trucks back over the Channel.

I wasn't aware of Cabotage, but again, it's the governments fault, given the length of time they had to negotiate the Brexit deal. It's unbelievable that they wouldn't have considered this to be critical!

We're London, South East, and there's no fuel where we live at the moment, but a friend in Leicester says it's pretty much back to normal there.

That's depressing, we had to abandon our car in South East London at the start of this week and get the train home to Newcastle. The problem now is that i'd assumed we might be able to fill up this weekend so only got single tickets back down.

It is becoming very expensive especially now that the trains are filling up. If we can't find any petrol this weekend a return to Newcastle and then back down to pick up the car is another £300.

That's depressing, we had to abandon our car in South East London at the start of this week and get the train home to Newcastle. The problem now is that i'd assumed we might be able to fill up this weekend so only got single tickets back down.

It is becoming very expensive especially now that the trains are filling up. If we can't find any petrol this weekend a return to Newcastle and then back down to pick up the car is another £300.

We have a holiday in the New Forest booked, but that's looking doubtful if we can't get any fuel. Also, my wife is a community nurse; she has about half a tank at the moment, but if she runs out, she won't be able to work. She works in the Lewisham, New cross, Peckham area and hasn't seen any fuel in her travels this week. I notice this morning, that now it isn't big news, the media has almost stopped reporting the shortage. @KrisW 's post above illustrates how little the government really cares. I knew about the problems with touring in the music industry, but hadn't realised how this would spill out into our every day life.

I'm just carrying on as normal at the moment. I have about 500 miles worth of fuel & won't look to refill until I'm down to a quarter of a tank.

advertisement

Back