advertisement

ProAc Tablette Anniversary

Adamgordoncr8

pfm Member
Hello,

I've been looking for some speakers for a while.
I have some ProAc SM100s but a little big for my room/neighbours.

I've tried a lot of stuff from ProAc, Spendor, Dynaudio (S40/Heritage), Audiovector (Arete) Amphion (3S), Serhan and Swift (The pick of the bunch). All good speakers in their own way.

So I spent some time trawling the bay and finally found some ProAc Tab Anniversaries in excellent condition at a fair price. Bit of a gamble, picked them up on the way back from Cornwall.

These are really quite brilliant speakers. I've lined up some Tab 10 Sigs to listen to in a couple of weeks. Interested to see if they are better. But overally the Anniversaries are some of the most enjoyable speakers I've heard at any price.

Insightful, fast, bob-a-long type sound.

Although they feel like they want more power than my SN3, which I wouldn't say about the SM100 which seemed easier to drive.

Any other Tab Ann owners past and present out there? Love to hear others thoughts?

Cheers
A

I’ve not heard a pair of Tablettes I’ve not liked! I’ve owned 50 Sigs and Ref 8 Sigs. All the little ProAcs respond very well to good amplification, but they aren’t reactive amp-suckers by any stretch. Stewart Tyler was using either Audio Research valves or Sugden class A at shows whenever I visited the ProAc room and I’m pretty sure he designed them with valve kit in mind. The Tablette 10, which I’ve not heard yet, are unusual in that they are a sealed box. The other Tablettes are rear-ported and like some space behind them IME.

I loved my tab 10’s, regret selling them TBH. So easy to position, always fancied trying the anniversary 10’s.
I think I may bite the bullet on a pair of Falcon LS35a next as Inmuch prefer sealed boxes over ported speakers as my ears are so sensitive to port boom.

I have recently been auditioning a lot of speakers, and I can confidently say, within their limitations, the Proac Tablette Anniversary are world class speakers, and you should hold on to them. Honestly, this is not hyperbole.

I’m delighted with my Tablette 10 Sigs. They’re incredibly revealing and true to upstream components. Open and transparent with an engaging personality. Easy to place thanks to their sealed boxes. They are a small speaker so I do partner them with a sub. (recently compared them with Harbeth P3ESR and Kef LS50 Meta)

I would like to revisit a small Proac sometime in the future. The problem is I've got too many speakers at the moment, some unused and some boxed up. My single experience with Proac was with the Tablette 50 Signature more than 10 years ago.

I would be interested to hear the comparison between the Tablette Anniversary and Tab 10 Sigs.

In the Late 1970, I was working with Paul Tyler on the ProAC Magnum Amps, I loved them what amazing tiny speaker.
The very big one we had them at a show in Penta about 1990 ish with the big 300W SECA amps a truly amazing sound, I loved to do it again.

Hi Colin, is that where AC came from in AC Magnum? I use a Magnum amp (i know your not keen on some of the other people you worked with at Magnum!) with my ProAC's D15's and its a great combination. I wonder who will take over the designing reigns now Mr Tyler has passed away.

A lot of love indeed.

I must say, very lovely. And I don't intend to let them go. I dare say I may never find them again.

I'm just waiting for one of Colin W's M50 power amps to come. I think that might just make things very interesting.

Hoping for improved tone, richness and more neutral.

Can't believe the seller let them go.

I would like to revisit a small Proac sometime in the future. The problem is I've got too many speakers at the moment, some unused and some boxed up. My single experience with Proac was with the Tablette 50 Signature more than 10 years ago.

I would be interested to hear the comparison between the Tablette Anniversary and Tab 10 Sigs.
I'll let you know in a few weeks. :)

Well, I can now answer how the Tablette 10 SE compares to the Anniversary.
Two quite different sounding speakers, the 10 is very detailed, but certainly less rich sounding, and less bass. I found myself more on edge with them (comparatively), a less natural, thinner, sound, but still enjoyable.

This was on the end of a Moon 340i, which is not lacking in bass/control/clarity in any way, very impressive.

I also heard an amazing system composed of high end Naim kit and big Sonus Faber Olypica III speakers, it was like being at a concert with better sound.

Of all the other speakers I heard, the ones that came closest, but on a smaller scale, were the Anniversary, so they really are something special.

Well, I can now answer how the Tablette 10 SE compares to the Anniversary.
Two quite different sounding speakers, the 10 is very detailed, but certainly less rich sounding, and less bass. I found myself more on edge with them (comparatively), a less natural, thinner, sound, but still enjoyable.

This was on the end of a Moon 340i, which is not lacking in bass/control/clarity in any way, very impressive.

I also heard an amazing system composed of high end Naim kit and big Sonus Faber Olypica III speakers, it was like being at a concert with better sound.

Of all the other speakers I heard, the ones that came closest, but on a smaller scale, were the Anniversary, so they really are something special.
OMG ! I will have to get a pair now !

Frankly the Tablettes, as good as they are, need to obey the laws of physics and consequently work incredibly well within their limitations. Careful partnering is required if they are not to sound bright or thin. I can absolutely see why they’re partnered with Sugden amps. (though in my case they sound lovely with Bel Canto)

Hi Colin, is that where AC came from in AC Magnum? I use a Magnum amp (i know your not keen on some of the other people you worked with at Magnum!) with my ProAC's D15's and its a great combination. I wonder who will take over the designing reigns now Mr Tyler has passed away.

No A.C.Magnum came from Anthony Relph ( of Rega days, Relph and Gandy ) and Colin Wonfor (of MIH,Inca Tech, Inca Design, TOCA, Oberon, Root2 Solid State Relays, Hughes Electronics, OSDUC Optical storage, NASA, Seamap, Tellurium Q and EWA companies I started in red)
Check out:-https://seca.freeforums.net/

Frankly the Tablettes, as good as they are, need to obey the laws of physics and consequently work incredibly well within their limitations. Careful partnering is required if they are not to sound bright or thin. I can absolutely see why they’re partnered with Sugden amps. (though in my case they sound lovely with Bel Canto)

Very true, I have been trying for 8 years to get them to sound their best, the Moon amp, or other matching high quality ones, is really needed. The D20R is better suited if you want a truly powerful bass, and more refinement, but you lose some of the magic. Room size and behaviour also a huge bearing, nothing is ever a perfect fit for all situations. The D30R were incredible, but too much for my room, I could feel the air pressure even at lower volumes.

I just can’t wait to hear what they will sound like with the LS-80 speaker cables, hopefully report on that tomorrow.

advertisement

Back