advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife spent 10 days in rural France recently, having driven from Calais. She said that there was far more care and respect to social distancing. Proof of vaccination needed to use the shops at motorway services. And mask wearing everywhere. Whether by individual choice or legislation, I don't know. But here we are carrying on as if there is no pandemic. And the figures are frightening. and not at all surprising.
I'm astonished at those who were interviewed at tube stations, asked why they were wearing masks one day and not the next. The answer being that the day before, it was a legal requirement and the next day it's voluntary. So they won't. The government is happy for the NHS to take the hit.

I just want to get the facts straight about this -- just looking at the most recent few days

In the Uk we've had about 7.5K people in hospital with covid. In France it has been between 8K and 9K.

In the UK we've had between 800 patients in ICU. In France they've had figures around the 1600 mark. (I'm assuming that our mechanical ventilation beds is the same as their réanimation)

In the UK 120/130 deaths a day. In France they've had like 60 or 70 a day.

Populations France 67M, Uk 66M.

I just can't see how social distancing and that sort of stuff is the explanation for this. I mean, all those NPIs can do is reduce the number of people catching covid. But we're seeing at least the same number of hospitalisations in France as here .

The reason lies elsewhere -- the way the countries have vaccinated, the general health of the population, the policies about treating covid patients, or maybe it's a statistical thing.

I just want to get the facts straight about this -- just looking at the most recent few days

In the Uk we've had about 7.5K people in hospital with covid. In France it has been between 8K and 9K.

In the UK we've had between 800 patients in ICU. In France they've had figures around the 1600 mark.

In the UK 120/130 deaths a day. In France they've had like 60 or 70 a day.

I just can't see how social distancing and that sort of stuff is the explanation for this. I mean, all those MPIs can do is reduce the number of people catching covid. But we're seeing at least the same number of hospitalisations in France than here .

The reason lies elsewhere -- the way the countries have vaccinated, the general health of the population, the policies about treating covid patients, or maybe it's a statistical thing.

Maybe there’s a time lag in France, how many deaths has there been in France since the start of the pandemic?

I imagine they (France) have a lower incidence of comorbidities such as diabetes through their general lifestyle?

Well it is cheese but they have to drink red wine to kill the fat.

Think it was De Gaul (sp) who said that it was impossible to govern a country with a population who ate so much cheese, think they have a cheese for every day of the year.

116 586. But I don't follow you're thinking.

Just thinking that maybe it was a population relativity thing ie France has a smaller population therefore less deaths but relatively the same proportion of deaths vis population but I see that you've posted that the populations are more or less the same size.

front_fr.59.full.jpg

I remember when I was at school, there was just one large girl who wasn't as slim as everyone else. That was four decades ago. Fast food is having a dreadful impact on the health of the nation.

It's not a mystery at all it's quite simple - they don't live on takeaways and fast food crap.
I was staggered when I was in London just how many obese youngsters you see wandering about - that's a ticking time bomb imo.

Do you think that the diet of an average guy in Bobigny is better than his equivalent in Basingstoke? Or let's say, Frejus and Fleetwood?

I remember when I was at school, there was just one large girl. That was four decades ago. Fast food is having a dreadful impact on the health of the nation.

When I was at primary school there was a guy who I was friendly with, he was a Billy Bunter type as in huge and there was no one else like him that size throughout my entire schooling, anyway he was made fun of constantly (probably bullied but that wasn't really a thing back in 1967/8) and eventually he moved schools.

He ended up a doctor with four kids (sons) all of whom are doctors and all are pretty huge, I believe, one of them went to school with my daughter.

Do you think that the diet of an average guy in Bobigny is better than his equivalent in Basingstoke? Or let's say, Frejus and Fleetwood?

My daughter said that the UK has the lowest amount of ICU beds per head of population in Europe and apparently France has double the amount of ICU beds that the UK has so maybe that's the answer to the deaths vis each country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back