advertisement

Thrown out my back

MichaelC

pfm Member
On top of everything yesterday evening in the most innocuous of circumstances I heard the “pop” and then came the pain.

Ouch.

Hey ho. Not much I can do other than browse the inter web. Sat in the dining room on a high backed chair which is about the only comfortable place I can find other than lying flat on my back. Can’t even handle the idea of the living room for the music and tv.

Osteopath this afternoon beckons…

At least I don’t have to worry about petrol, I won’t be going anywhere soon!!!

Keep moving as much as you are able. Anti-inflammatory medication might also be useful depending on your situation.

I am prone to muscle spasms and need to find ways to relax the muscles, movement helps me.

Thanks. Yes, I am shuffling about. Lots of involuntary yelps from yours truly. For the time being I am having to limit medication. Won’t go into that now whilst tests are ongoing.

I've had this for nearly four weeks now. It's slowly getting better. I sleep with a bolster cushion under the knees to stop my back ever arching during sleep, and raised the ordinary pillow by two more. Otherwise it's painful even getting out of bed! I have it rather low down in the sacrum and it's clear to me the cause has been poor posture and allowing myself to sit in positions which are not beneficial. So it's neuralgic pain.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this, Mike. You seem to know what's happened (disc?) but surely you'll seek analytical medical attention, though I guess the osteopath would know. With your system, I'd be tempted to get someone ton move your high-backed chair to in front of your speakers and partake in appropriate medication. ;)

Hope this is sorted soon. Wasn't long ago when you had that slippage, if I remember correctly.

On top of everything yesterday evening in the most innocuous of circumstances I heard the “pop” and then came the pain.

Ouch.

Hey ho. Not much I can do other than browse the inter web. Sat in the dining room on a high backed chair which is about the only comfortable place I can find other than lying flat on my back. Can’t even handle the idea of the living room for the music and tv.

Osteopath this afternoon beckons…

At least I don’t have to worry about petrol, I won’t be going anywhere soon!!!

I must say I’ve found physiotherapy really helpful for this, I’m pretty disciplined about following their exercises and it has worked well in the past - obviously I’m not saying the same for you.

The other thing I’ve learned is to have no qualms about taking painkillers, especially at night. I love pills. I especially love a nice juicy diazepam at night.

A joint too is a good idea for me.

Sorry to hear this, Mike. You seem to know what's happened (disc?) but surely you'll seek analytical medical attention, though I guess the osteopath would know. With your system, I'd be tempted to get someone ton move your high-backed chair to in front of your speakers and partake in appropriate medication. ;)

Hope this is sorted soon. Wasn't long ago when you had that slippage, if I remember correctly.
Mike, the good news it is almost certainly muscular - I saw the osteopath earlier, which was helpful and reassuring.

I haven’t been having a good run recently!

I sympathise, ouch indeed.
I am exactly there, except that I can’t take any anti-inflammatory tablets because I also take anticoagulants.
So the pain is here to stay. I have to live with it. No object lifting, even the kettle is too heavy.
I tried osteopathy and physiotherapy to no avail. Only dancing will do something, yes dancing!
I have a herniated disc plus two completely dry ones.
The pain has been with me since the beginning of June, with a horrible acute crisis in July – I had to take opium for a few days.

One thing to compensate ageing is, in the round, the spinal column does shorten and become less flexible. This has the dual effect of making you feel stiffer but less likely to ‘put your back out’. Bonus!

Put my back out in my late 20s, a long time ago
Tried all the above plus Alexander Technique
The key is gentle stretching and yoga every morning. You have to fix yourself
Helps walking the dogs, cycling and grunt gardening work

advertisement

Back