advertisement

Milton Keynes BL Autumn Rally - Just love these old cars

Had a quick look as dad owned a series of Austin’s that never worked, once thru a breeze block thru window of misbehaving mini.
Only leyland cars I’d have would be rovers , or jag if you insist.

Had a quick look as dad owned a series of Austin’s that never worked, once thru a breeze block thru window of misbehaving mini.
Only leyland cars I’d have would be rovers , or jag if you insist.

With the exception of the bypass hose there's not much that's difficult.

I love cars from almost any era, but I might find that a bit of a challenge, I’m sad to say.

Nostalgia for some. Build quality was poor and the looks were dated but some great ideas for the time.
e.g. 5 speed gearboxes, hydrolastic suspension, transverse 6 cylinder front-wheel drive.

Ford Cortinas never got beyond 4 gears and only later Sierras finally got that much needed extra gear.

If British built is the thing then it’s a Bristol 407, such a shame they went belly up. But £150k for the last model which looked like a coke bottle cortina was ludicrous.

Cars I have had from the stable: Mini 1000 - huge fun, Marina 1.3 - dull but reliable, Montego 2.0 EFI - OK for pulling the caravan, Rover 414 - excellent.

Had two minis, ended up scavenging from one to fix other. Drove like a big skateboard, so much fun, so dangerous. In Denmark (lived there for six months) they were banned as the distance from head to screen was less than 30cm.
During eighties and nineties BL made the mini with thinner steel to save money, hence nickname in some US states of the ‘tinfoil toy’ again later banned.
When I bought my new style mk2 Mini Cooper s/h there was a original mini in its shadow, it looked like a toy compared to the little bmw Cooper.
Only way I’d drive a mini was if you fitted a roll cage.

The only remotely connected car to this 'scene' I've ever owned was a Rover 220 Turbo Coupe.... it was shit and I got rid after 6 months!

The only remotely connected car to this 'scene' I've ever owned was a Rover 220 Turbo Coupe.... it was shit and I got rid after 6 months!
You haven’t owned an Allegro so you don’t know what real shit is. :)

I just like looking at these old cars. You know at a glance what it is, unlike many mainstream cars these days, in their mundane colours and almost identical shape.

Cars I have had from the stable: Mini 1000 - huge fun, Marina 1.3 - dull but reliable, Montego 2.0 EFI - OK for pulling the caravan, Rover 414 - excellent.

My dad had a Morris marina 1.3 for four years and the only thing that went wrong was an indicator bulb needed replacing, he replaced it with a Ford cortina it had two camshafts in the first year and then his car diy skills were used intensively from then on. I don’t understand why anyone would want to drive one today.

Good grief, this thread reminds me of some of my horror vehicles!

Morris Marina, what can I say, first car and about all I could afford. Hysterical steering ie purely advisory. Turn the wheel, sometime later the car would change direction. Thankfully, not a particularly fast car. It eventuality gave up the ghost.

Morris Ital, a cheap and readily available replacement for the above. Replaced with some much more exciting vehicles.

Rover 216, bought cheap to use whilst another car was off the road. The Rover clearly did what it said on the tin ie get you from a to b, but shall I say it was hardly an experience. Wholly unforgettable.

Rover 820, blagged at very short notice to replace a Celica which eventually blew up. What can I say, it had an aircraft hanger for a boot. There you go, the positive.

All BL.

Funnily enough the Triumph Dolomite I had for six months or so was a real hoot.

A new company car Rover 420GSi was my only car from the BL lineage whilst my company tried a single vendor car policy. It was OK, reasonably fast for its day and class, well loaded with the current toys of the day but no AC sadly which was all I really wanted back then. I didn't miss it after its 3 years and replaced it with an early Mk1 Focus, a 2.0l Ghia with every option which was one of the most fondly remembered company cars I had. A real drivers car.

Looking at those cars, it seems amazing that a country that up to the 60s made beautiful things like Jaguars, "real" Rovers, Triumphs, MGs, Aston Martins, Bentleys, etc., could sink so low by the '80s. Many look like they came from East Germany or Czecoslovakia in the Soviet era, BUT with leather and wood inside. Strangely cuddly, in a way. In the mid-sixties my father had a 3-litre Wolseley which had a radio that took a few minutes to "warm up."

Looking at those cars, it seems amazing that a country that up to the 60s made beautiful things like Jaguars, "real" Rovers, Triumphs, MGs, Aston Martins, Bentleys, etc., could sink so low by the '80s. Many look like they came from East Germany or Czecoslovakia in the Soviet era, BUT with leather and wood inside. Strangely cuddly, in a way. In the mid-sixties my father had a 3-litre Wolseley which had a radio that took a few minutes to "warm up."
Early naim...

SDI was a miles ahead of competition, looked good , great v8, built by Oompa Loompas, only 70/80’s BL car worth having. My best friends dad had SDI, when it rained it was dangerous due to water running down inside windscreen, battery shorted and car aqua planed as brakes locked up giving no grip when wet. Handbrake could only be used on flat.
Love all jags esp type two or xj12.

advertisement

Back