advertisement

Upgrade from 30yr old Epos ES14s

but, for me at least, the ES14's are still the winners. I'm glad I've tried some different speakers, but I guess I'll hve to dig much deeper into the pocket to beat them.

why do you think you just tried the best example of the speakers in your budget and that you need to spend much more?

try some proac or harbeth or amphion before thinking you have to spend much more to beat your ES14. reference 3a decapo is a very similar design from your epos in that theres no filter on the bass woofer, and should outperform your epos. I had a pair and its a lovely speaker.

A speaker bake off would be a nice idea, but difficult I would guess, its a tiny room! I have Proac D2, SM100 and Amphion Argon S3 as well as PMC Twenty5.24 on my list of auditions, also Russel K Red 100, which I hope to audition tomorrow. All these options I guess are next division up, £2K+ when stands are taken into account.

Ekos on your LP12. You'll be amazed at what happens at the ES14 end. Source first and all.

This very much parallels my own experience looking for ES14 replacements. When one of my bass drivers developed an irreparable buzz I looked for replacements up to £2K and was so disappointed by the performance offered I bought another pair of ES14's to use as spares.

I had the same problem. The ES14s always seemed to convey the music with more feeling. In some ways they were a bit raw, a bit like you had stripped away a layer of processing and got into the core of it all. That probably sounds a bit 'hifi' but that is how I view it. One thing, they change character depending on the speaker stands. Open frames designs, like Heybrook HBS1, worked better, solid stands just seemed to deaden the sound for me. Bungs killed the bass, in my view, and they just exposed poorly produced tracks ruthlessly.

I have mine on the Heybrook HBS1 stands, no bungs. The Epos stand was still in the design stage when I bought em, very early version ones. I agree that they are unforgiving in some respects, yet bloody wonderful , given a well recorded source! Guess which gives the most emotional moving performance via my system, a Nimbus ambisonics transcription of John MacCormack, cylinders and 78rpm discs, singing well known arias and trad Irish folk songs, on cd, or the just bought vinyl Coldplay "Parachutes"?

I used mine on custom designed Origin Live stands - a very hardcore tripod design. I still have the speakers and stands :).

I paid £1200 for a pair of Epos22, 20 years ago.

Still have them, still love them. They "do bass"

And (good for you, bad for me) they only go for £400-500 on eBay.

BugBear

I've tried the ES22, ES25 and ES30 which can all be bought relatively cheap and didn't think any were as good as my ES14's, although elements of each were better.

You're probably right that you'll need to increase your budget.

I am very interested in the Proac SM100, there seem to be some fans of this speaker on this forum, it would appear it has the sort of presentation I am looking for, i.e similar to the ES14's but with the sometimes problematic "gritty / metallic" edge to the treble of the Epos tamed, good dynamics, tight controlled bass, good over a wide range of music genres. Also it is an ideal size, almost the same as my current speakers, but will need a change of stand, probably, to get the last drop out of them , so to speak. I'm minded to wait until the new "Qudos" and psu boards arrive from Les W, for my 110 monoblocks, and see how they go first though!
p.s, The Neat Ultimatums look great, but currently way over my budget!

I am very interested in the Proac SM100, there seem to be some fans of this speaker on this forum, it would appear it has the sort of presentation I am looking for, i.e similar to the ES14's but with the sometimes problematic "gritty / metallic" edge to the treble of the Epos tamed, good dynamics, tight controlled bass, good over a wide range of music genres. Also it is an ideal size, almost the same as my current speakers, but will need a change of stand, probably, to get the last drop out of them , so to speak. I'm minded to wait until the new "Qudos" and psu boards arrive from Les W, for my 110 monoblocks, and see how they go first though!
p.s, The Neat Ultimatums look great, but currently way over my budget!

I will politely suggest that your Epos ES14's are *not guilty* of a gritty/metallic edge to the treble, and you are very likely hearing your Ittok going about its business. It is a bit bright; that's it's achilles heel. Substituting an Ekos in its place will give you all that you seek! Through the speakers you know and love! Yes it's a very old-school solution; however, you're running a pretty old-school system!

LP12/72/hi/140/ES14's (and later with 135s) stunned me on a number of occasions back in the late 80's when this was current kit. The ES14's will deliver the goods for many, many upstream upgrades. Changing your speakers will certainly change the presentation, though won't address your issues upstream.

Maybe the Nima (very well-regarded) may deliver the goods; haven't heard one, can't recommend. You could look at different options at the front.

I hope that helps.

> Rico, thanks for the observation, I was thinking of having the Ittok bearings and internal wiring done by Audio Origami, as it too, is now 30years old! I cannot in all honesty justify the cost of an Ekos, I have heard the arm, and Aro, side by side many times when demo-ing for customers, both very good, and at the same time different! I only play LP's 45% to CD 45%. I also have a good tuner, Linn Pekin and my beloved rebuilt Revox A77mkvi which take up the other 10%, so looking for an overall upgrade and to be honest I'm happy with the LP12 but still think an arm service might be a good idea since it is pretty much sorted, what with decent subchassis and outboard psu done last year. I'm ex Linn trained BTW.

I moved from epos m12 speakers to kudos c1 then super 10 speakers with Naim amplification. They still had the sound I wanted while delivering more of what was available upstream.

Just now I have my Harbeth M30 in my little men´s cave replacing a pair of Epos ES11. In my ears it is like night and day.
Concrete floor and walls could have made the treble of the ES11 a bit annoying. But the pair of ProAc D2d I have upstairs now are a better match than the M30 in that room.
The room speaker interaction seems to be the key.

Just now I have my Harbeth M30 in my little men´s cave replacing a pair of Epos ES11. In my ears it is like night and day.
Concrete floor and walls could have made the treble of the ES11 a bit annoying. But the pair of ProAc D2d I have upstairs now are a better match than the M30 in that room.
The Proac D2 is a star product in this hi-fi jungle so I'm not surprised you get this results.

As I think it is with any speaker.

Triangle Color floorstander, very lively excellent dedicated midrange and dynamics. Cost next to nothing and very easy to drive. Do not let the low Price fool You, In my ears a gem for the money…and also different from the rest.

advertisement

Back