advertisement

Public Service Broadcasting - Bright Magic

Whaleblue

Southbound
One of the best of the year so far for me. Following Bowie and Dépêche Mode it’s a study of Berlin and captures something both dark and uplifting almost simultaneously. Blue Heaven is a wonderful homage/cover.

psb-explodes.jpg

Listened to it three times this afternoon. Amongst others, I get Neu, I get Sankt Otten, I get Majeure and I get Zombi.

Fantastic album.

Heard a couple of tracks on the radio, they seem to have moved away completely from the news archive sampling have they?

Cheers BB

The sampling was getting repetitive, will stream new one later looks fascinating concept.

I like it, been a fan for a while. Seems a departure from previous sample/news reels. Has a darker edge, Vangelis’ Blade Runner sound track, but that’s no bad thing for me…

Yes, something of a departure, but I like the old and the new. The Race for Space is a bit of a favourite for me, being a bloke of a certain age!

Well well well, a Public Service Broadcasting album I like; that's a nice surprise.
And Blixa Bargeld guesting, wouldn't have put money on that.

This is a band I have always had very little time for. They seemed to take a well worn formula and wear it out some more.

I've just ordered this new one on the strength of a preview listen. Apart from the radio friendly saccharine pop of Blue Heaven I think it sounds pretty good. I am a sucker for anything Germanic though.

Much more interesting than their last release, 'Every Valley' which frankly bored the tits off me. Blue heaven is the only dud here, far too poppy to fit well on the album but the rest is bloody great :)

Just played couple of times, real grower.
Defo depeche mode, ala Eno, iggy, Bowie, Kraftwork etc, but none the worse for it.
Love the German vocals and more of a band/liveish sound/feeling rather than a trio of DJs doing electronica. There’s a more consistent feel, a positive vibe maybe as a result of band cohesion. Some tracks will make good dance floor remix’s. And a bit like REM s monster it sounds like a album written with the next tour in mind.
Production and engineer much better, it’s a spot the joins sound, and a real step up in recording quality, tho still rough edges when letting it’s dancer hair down, or rocking out.
Gonna buy. I get feeling it’s best they’ve done so far, which considering their back catalogue is quite something.
Biased as lucky to have seen live.

Biased as lucky to have seen live.

I’ve seen them twice, wasn’t too sure what to expect the first time as it was just after the release of the War Room EP, but they were excellent, particularly the first time in a small venue.

Cheers BB

Definitely a grower. One of those albums that seems shorter than it is, if you know what I mean.

Saw them at Victoria Park in 2018. Very good. We’d primarily gone to see The National, so an excellent bonus.

It arrived Yesterday....Initial playthrough I thought I'd probably move it on sharpish. I've given it a few more listens now and it definitely grows. Shame they only supply a crappy MP3 as a download.

Blue Heaven is really growing on me......I must be getting old.

Hmm, just had my first listen through and not overly taken with it. As above, will give it a few more spins. Think it's a late(r) night type of album.

advertisement

Back