advertisement

Linn Kan 1 v 2

Hi anybody out there have access to linn kan mk2 x over......
I’m interested in trying a pair of Kans but would like to run them active. Has anybody ever tried them with Tukan/Katan active cards? Are the crossover specs close enough to work?

cheers

Iain.

Linn only made a few pairs of active Kan 1s to order, so assume you're gonna convert Kan 2s yourself? I've need seen a Linn-manufactured pair on the used market.

It will also be easier to find the correct Kan 2 specs since there's only the one iteration of drive units (Kan 1s had 3 different drive unit combinations).

Linn only made a few pairs of active Kan 1s to order, so assume you're gonna convert Kan 2s yourself? I've need seen a Linn-manufactured pair on the used market.

It will also be easier to find the correct Kan 2 specs since there's only the one iteration of drive units (Kan 1s had 3 different drive unit combinations).
Yes, Kan 2s would be the plan

I've compared Kan IIs to Tukans and they sound quite different to me - Tukan is softer and clearly voiced for digital. And putting a Tukan tweeter in a Kan will probably ruin the Kan sound.

Won't Naim build a crossover for you? Or is that the old days and/or too expensive?

Or go Exakt and pay sunbeam to design digital crossovers.

This would be some second system fun so don't want to go overboard! The old 1997 Linn speaker spec document says this about Kan IIs:

Frequency response: 70 Hz to 20 kHz +/- 3dB

The Katan spec sheet says:

Frequency response passive: 75Hz-20KHz +/- 3dB
Frequency response active: 60Hz-20KHz +/- 3dB

There are various snippets on the web suggesting the tweeter crossover for lots of Linn speakers including Kan and Tukan/Katan etc is 2.7KHz. there's a post on the Naim forum suggesting the same SNAXO2-4 could be used across various speakers too so I assume the crossover slopes aren't (too) incompatible either.

So I guess my questions are 1. would the extra extension to 60Hz cause problems for the Kan bass units and 2. am I missing anything?

This would be some second system fun so don't want to go overboard! The old 1997 Linn speaker spec document says this about Kan IIs:

Frequency response: 70 Hz to 20 kHz +/- 3dB

The Katan spec sheet says:

Frequency response passive: 75Hz-20KHz +/- 3dB
Frequency response active: 60Hz-20KHz +/- 3dB

There are various snippets on the web suggesting the tweeter crossover for lots of Linn speakers including Kan and Tukan/Katan etc is 2.7KHz. there's a post on the Naim forum suggesting the same SNAXO2-4 could be used across various speakers too so I assume the crossover slopes aren't (too) incompatible either.

So I guess my questions are 1. would the extra extension to 60Hz cause problems for the Kan bass units and 2. am I missing anything?

So thanks to Carlos of this parish, I now have a lovely pair of very, very late Kustone Kan IIs in situ. On the end of my ebay assembled 2nd system of Linto/Exotik/Klout(s). Definitely enough promise to want to explore the active route, so any further advice eagerly awaited...

Off topic but has anyone ever heard of very early Linn Kan manufactured by Chartwell? I remember the speaker terminals were screw-in like the Chartwell ones. I saw them on ebay a few years ago and I've never seen them before.
I heard that just 50 sets were made.

Yep, that's the first ever batch of Kans. Not sure on the exact quantity of Chartwell based Kans that were sold.

There were a pair on ebay a year or two ago. Never listened to a pair myself.

Yep, that's the first ever batch of Kans. Not sure on the exact quantity of Chartwell based Kans that were sold.

There were a pair on ebay a year or two ago. Never listened to a pair myself.

Hi. Do you know what serial numbers they were by any chance? Mine are 019377 and 019378, with stick out terminals...

The original 50 Linn Kans used Chartwell cabinets and the tweeter and midrange unit that was used in the Isobarik.

They were not made by Linn.

advertisement

Back