advertisement

Digital piano amp

Le Baron

Unbiased advice at reasonable rates
Here's the summary. I used an old Fender 60 amp for a digital piano, which made it sound great. The piano is an older model so the internal speaker system isn't good enough and an amp gives it proper bass and cleaner top end. Anyway this amp is now wrecked because I lent it to some arse just after lockdown ended. I find out today that he put it in the garage, and then his idiot son drove their car into it crashing it into the wall and demolishing it.

So I'm not best pleased. I can use it with headphones, but I still need an amp. I saw some little Peavey amps that are much smaller, but seem to sound really good. I saw one guy playing a Nord piano through one and it sounded pretty good, even though that's probably a bit low-key for that quality of digipiano.

So does anyone play a digital piano and use an amp they can recommend? Something more portable and rugged and not too pricey?

I think if you can define not too pricey and take it from there, lots of solutions available but all are budget-dependent.

Why not just buy another Fender? You like the sound of it?

Did the people who destroyed your amp offer to pay for it? They should have, I would have. I can think of two occasions where I've damaged or worn tools I borrowed and I bought the owner new ones. If they didn't offer to pay for it I'd ask them to.

Buy another Fender and give them the bill. Maybe they'll learn to be more careful with other people's stuff.

Roland is also where I would look, if you need to go cheaper you could also consider the Peavey KB1.

Why not just buy another Fender? You like the sound of it?

Did the people who destroyed your amp offer to pay for it? They should have, I would have. I can think of two occasions where I've damaged or worn tools I borrowed and I bought the owner new ones. If they didn't offer to pay for it I'd ask them to.

Buy another Fender and give them the bill. Maybe they'll learn to be more careful with other people's stuff.
This!

I’ve had it happen to me, I loaned a pair of foldback monitors to a DJ friend for a rave night… when he blew the PA, he turned my monitors into the crowd, pushed them beyond their (very high) limits and blew both bass drivers in those too. The real pisser is that I didn’t find out until I was sound checking on stage a few days later, I couldn’t recone them before that night’s event went ahead, I couldn’t get anything for hire in time either, so had to rush to my local music shop and buy a new pair at the cost of £1200… at least I have more foldback monitors now.

He promised to pay for the repair, still waiting, six years later.

He promised to pay for the repair, still waiting, six years later.

Terrible. Such a person would no longer be a friend of mine. I had things like that happen to me. One guy I was friendly with fell on hard times, lost his job. I gave him some money and he needed a car so we gave him my son's car, which he was selling, and he was supposed to pay in back so much a month. He made a few repayments then stopped. Never mentioned it again. There were other stupid things he did too. A while later he was stuck again and asked if he could borrow money. No. I don't see him these days.

Bottom line, this guy owes you an amp. He should see that and if he doesn't, tell him that.

Terrible. Such a person would no longer be a friend of mine. I had things like that happen to me. One guy I was friendly with fell on hard times, lost his job. I gave him some money and he needed a car so we gave him my son's car, which he was selling, and he was supposed to pay in back so much a month. He made a few repayments then stopped. Never mentioned it again. There were other stupid things he did too. A while later he was stuck again and asked if he could borrow money. No. I don't see him these days.

Bottom line, this guy owes you an amp. He should see that and if he doesn't, tell him that.
I’ve not seen him or heard from him for a good while… I’d leant him a full PA and lighting rig in prior occasions which was totally up to the job (had to set limiters on it to stop venues getting complaints). I was willing to loan it to him again but told him he needed to sort the logistics (needed a transit van and a strong person, I was ill and was having to pay someone to sort it for my own events), he couldn’t sort that so he just had my monitors and used his own crappy SkyTec PA system… would’ve been cheaper and more convenient for me to pay for the logistics.

Right, well I didn't have to do much. This fellow just came round pretty apologetically and with a Fender Champion 40w in tow. I was sniffy at first (loss of 20w and all), but when I tried it out this is a really good amp. I'm glad I was being slow because I was about to buy a much cheaper 2nd-hand Frontman 10G (only 10 watts, but good reviews). So yes this Champion looks great and delivers. The guy bought from a shop (!) and gave me the receipt and I think it's enough to call it square.

He was also looking down in the dumps about it. So I asked him to stay for some of the food I'd already made - Indonesian Bifun Goreng - and a beer. No sense in anyone being miserable about it. He also came by bus, his lad drove the car right into the inside garage wall.

Right, well I didn't have to do much. This fellow just came round pretty apologetically and with a Fender Champion 40w in tow. I was sniffy at first (loss of 20w and all), but when I tried it out this is a really good amp. I'm glad I was being slow because I was about to buy a much cheaper 2nd-hand Frontman 10G (only 10 watts, but good reviews). So yes this Champion looks great and delivers. The guy bought from a shop (!) and gave me the receipt and I think it's enough to call it square.

He was also looking down in the dumps about it. So I asked him to stay for some of the food I'd already made - Indonesian Bifun Goreng - and a beer. No sense in anyone being miserable about it. He also came by bus, his lad drove the car right into the inside garage wall.
Well fair play to him, he came good. Accidents do happen, it’s the response afterwards that counts.

I do actually feel bad for him. The car is a Volvo 122s - in a curious bright orange. I hope it's not very damaged. I'm going to go round and have a look at the weekend.

advertisement

Back